Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!! | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Got to learn to ignore her Laker fandom. :eek::confused:

Much easier to handle Katie Lou's Bird obsession. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I know this is a highlight reel, and I’m always a bit skeptical of highlights vs full game videos, but Aaliyah’s movement, strength, shooting, defense and ball handling really is at another level for a 6’3” HS kid. With her National Team experience, Aaliyah reminds me of Oregon’s Satou Sabally, who might just be the 1st pick in the WNBA draft.

I‘m speculating here, but I could see Aaliyah competing for a starting spot next season at power forward, moving Megan to her more natural position at the wing, and giving UConn a formidable front line of Liv, Aaliyah & Megan.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I know this is a highlight reel, and I’m always a bit skeptical of highlights vs full game videos, but Aaliyah’s movement, strength, shooting, defense and ball handling really is at another level for a 6’3” HS kid. With her National Team experience, Aaliyah reminds me of Oregon’s Satou Sabally, who might just be the 1st pick in the WNBA draft.

I‘m speculating here, but I could see Aaliyah competing for a starting spot next season at power forward, moving Megan to her more natural position at the wing, and giving UConn a formidable front line of Liv, Aaliyah & Megan.
You are singing to the choir. I have been preaching the Aaliyah gospel for some time. She will start no later than mid-January.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In place of whom?

(I'm gonna hold you to this one too. )
I’ll answer that. Aaliyah would start at power forward in place of whomever initially starts at the wing: Anna, Evina, Aubrey? Megan then moves to the wing.

Reaction Score
If you watched her Canadian Olympic game last year against the USA team, you will see
that she is one tough kid. I think she hit the floor about 4 times going strong. She took
a brutal pick from Dolson and got right up. She had a collision with DeShields and got
right up. I'm looking forward to adding this toughness to next years Uconn team. She
is out of the Kiah Nurse mold. She is going to be fun to watch.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If you watched her Canadian Olympic game last year against the USA team, you will see
that she is one tough kid. I think she hit the floor about 4 times going strong. She took
a brutal pick from Dolson and got right up. She had a collision with DeShields and got
right up. I'm looking forward to adding this toughness to next years Uconn team. She
is out of the Kiah Nurse mold. She is going to be fun to watch.
Kia Nurse mold, eh? Our next hockey player. :)

Reaction Score

Not sure I want to put too much pressure on her freshman year, but my feeling is she has the perfect skill set at the perfect time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I thought the general consensus was Ionescu will be the first overall player drafted going to the New York Liberty. But who knows what they are going to do. There’s been a lot of free agent movement in the W this off season. Perhaps they do value Sabally more, we’ll see.

I’d be shocked if they don’t draft Sabrina. If I was a WNBA GM, and I had a chance to draft her, I wouldn’t care what my guard situation was, I take her. I agree with the rest of your post. I thought I might be the only person that thought Edwards has an outside chance to start. We’ll debate that in depth this summer. As I’ve said before, Geno is going to have lots of options next year that he hasn’t had the last two.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In place of whom?

My problem with this is moving Meg to the wing would crowd out the plethora of top tier guards we’re gonna have. We (the Boneyard “we” - ha) are already moving one or another of Evina or Christyn to the wing just so they’ll have a place to play, with Paige and Nika at the point.

We have a ton of young talent coming in, but most of their minutes may have to be non-starter minutes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My problem with this is moving Meg to the wing would crowd out the plethora of top tier guards we’re gonna have. We (the Boneyard “we” - ha) are already moving one or another of Evina or Christyn to the wing just so they’ll have a place to play, with Paige and Nika at the point.

We have a ton of young talent coming in, but most of their minutes may have to be non-starter minutes.
The biggest challenge that Geno will face next season will be finding PT for everyone. Make no mistake, he will start the 5 players that give UConn the best opportunity to win a championship. Whether or not Aaliyah ultimately becomes one of those starters remains to be seen. But if she earns the right to start, she will most certainly start.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The biggest challenge that Geno will face next season will be finding PT for everyone. Make no mistake, he will start the 5 players that give UConn the best opportunity to win a championship. Whether or not Aaliyah ultimately becomes one of those starters remains to be seen. But if she earns the right to start, she will most certainly start.
I totally agree - challenge. But I don't think it will be as "bad" or difficult as some people think.

First, kids coming to UCONN now know that we are loaded at every position, and not only will competition be fierce, but actually playing time will be less than if they went to a mid-major (or other good program) where they were the only top dog on the team (or at their position).

Second, kids who have traditionally chosen UCONN are not only high caliber kids character-wise, but by extension, "team first" instead of "me first". Winning and supporting teammates has always been way more important than amassing personal stats.

Third, the cream always rises to the top. Any kid who can't earn enough PT is always welcome to leave. I don't say that lightly, meaning "good riddance", but rather, the best players will play. Those who struggle will not. While many transfers out of UCONN have gone on to have solid to good careers at other schools, not a single one was going to be a starter or key reserve in big games (Michala Johnson, Engeln, Banks, Ekmark, Edwards, Boykin, Espinonsa, Gordon, Coombs). The lone exception might be Samarie Walker, but she left mainly for personal reasons that had nothing to do with UCONN.

I do worry a tad that the "no-wait" transfer rule will make it easier for freshmen who are really frustrated to simply bail, it will be on Geno and the staff to adjust accordingly. We hear stories about how hard it was for many UCONN greats their first year - from Lobo to Megan Walker. None of the good/greats have ever left. I hope that continues.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Apropos of your final paragraph @EricLA Paige remarked in a video just the other day that the players had told her how "horrible" freshman year is. This in the same breath about she's coming to UConn for Geno, the greatest basketball coach ever.

PS. Editorial retraction: "horrible" is a misquoted and it was in an article and it was: 'Your freshman season is going to suck. "

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well he did say by January. So he's giving her a couple of months of college games. ;)
To me, 3 stats jump out at me:
1. 2.7 steals per game for a 6'2" forward? Nice
2. 1.9 Assists per game for a 6'2" forward? Not bad
3. 1.0 Block shots per game for 6'2" forward? Ok

I agree 100% with Meyers on this, she's got potential to be awesome off the bench the way Aubrey is this year but as far as staring in January over ONO, CW, MW, Anna or Evina, I don't see it. Add Paige into the mix and definitely don't see it. Let's be honest, Paige will start before Aaliyah BUT BOTH will see significant minutes. Just as long as we win, who cares who starts...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

That's my dream. I don't think it will happen, but it's my dream, so there. If AE comes out of that logjam to start at the 4 she will have to be very special indeed and will have very well earned it. I don't think that will happen in November. January, February, maybe.

So what will it take to start? She'll have to be a demon on the boards, move well on defense, be a a near lock down defender, move well on offense, show a good grasp of the motion offense, and she'll have to show a consistent shot at least from mid range. A very tall order for a freshman .

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
To me, 3 stats jump out at me:
1. 2.7 steals per game for a 6'2" forward? Nice
2. 1.9 Assists per game for a 6'2" forward? Not bad
3. 1.0 Block shots per game for 6'2" forward? Ok

I agree 100% with Meyers on this, she's got potential to be awesome off the bench the way Aubrey is this year but as far as staring in January over ONO, CW, MW, Anna or Evina, I don't see it. Add Paige into the mix and definitely don't see it. Let's be honest, Paige will start before Aaliyah BUT BOTH will see significant minutes. Just as long as we win, who cares who starts...

She also shot 65% from the field.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wow thats about all I can say about AE. The freshman class coming in will have alot to learn and adjust to but playtime will happen for everybody who earns it. We loose CD and gain Westbrook and Ive got to think that our starters will remain the same and we add Westbrook. Now with that said Paige and Edwards will see time as well as everybody else.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What I like about Edwards and what unfortunately neither Adebayo or Camara have been able to provide this year is the strength down low on defense/offense. I think she is significantly stronger than Collier or Gabby who have both been miscast as 'centers' on defense while performing really well. Not sure Edwards has their speed and quickness, but that is not what Uconn has been missing since Tuck graduated. Looking forward to seeing her and would not be surprised if she gets significant minutes as a freshman because of that.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
In place of whom?

Starters after mid-January: Olivia, Meg, Aaliyah, Evina, Anna (AKA: largest average minutes per game); Bench: CW, Paige, Aubrey, Nika; SubBench: Mir, Paith -- More to hold near and dear! :D:rolleyes: If Aaliyah does not start by mid-January she will still have 3rd place in minutes played after mid-January. CW needs to make a big jump next year. Lot's of competition for minutes next season. Which is really good! I think CW needs stimulated by competition.

Reaction Score
Starters after mid-January: Olivia, Meg, Aaliyah, Evina, Anna (AKA: largest average minutes per game); Bench: CW, Paige, Aubrey, Nika; SubBench: Mir, Paith -- More to hold near and dear! :D:rolleyes: If Aaliyah does not start by mid-January she will still have 3rd place in minutes played after mid-January. CW needs to make a big jump next year. Lot's of competition for minutes next season. Which is really good! I think CW needs stimulated by competition.

ZERO chance!

As long as she is healthy Williams will start EVERY game she has remaining at UConn! She needs to "make a big jump"? She is averaging 15pts/5rbs/2ast!

1. Westbrook
2. Williams
3. Walker
4. Edwards
5. Nelson-Ododa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics