AAC to Reduce Conference Games from 18 to 16 Starting 2016/17 | The Boneyard

AAC to Reduce Conference Games from 18 to 16 Starting 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is wonderful! 18 games in conference is just too many.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That potential non-conference schedule for next season is incredible.

Ohio St, DePaul, Tenn-Chatt, LSU, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Louisville, Texas, FSU, Maryland, Nebraska, UCLA, Cal/ASU.

Nearly all those bunched together in two months prior to conference play? Wow.

Reaction Score
That potential non-conference schedule for next season is incredible.

Ohio St, DePaul, Tenn-Chatt, LSU, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Louisville, Texas, FSU, Maryland, Nebraska, UCLA, Cal/ASU.

Nearly all those bunched together in two months prior to conference play? Wow.
Gonna be tough to win 'em all with no Stewie and a brand new starting PG.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I really hope we can get ASU.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
2 less cupcakes to eat
Not necessarily. What if it works out next year that this means UConn misses out on two games with USF and Tulane, and they get replaced with teams more like KSU (Sags #71) and LSU (Sags #50) instead of the #16 and #54 ratings of that AAC combo? Or maybe it means throwing in a winter tournament and matching up against a cupcake and then some meh okay P5 team.

You need to look on the dark side of life, DC.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. What if it works out next year that this means UConn misses out on two games with USF and Tulane, and they get replaced with teams more like KSU (Sags #71) and LSU (Sags #50) instead of the #16 and #54 ratings of that AAC combo? Or maybe it means throwing in a winter tournament and matching up against a cupcake and then some meh okay P5 team.

You need to look on the dark side of life, DC.
Hopefully the league follows the BE formula of making sure the better teams are playing H and H against each other and not the SEC formula for example of making the H&H 'traditional rivalries' whether the relative strength is even or way out of whack.

With the 16 game schedule, they have a lot of leeway to get the better teams playing twice and rotating the others.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hopefully the league follows the BE formula of making sure the better teams are playing H and H against each other and not the SEC formula for example of making the H&H 'traditional rivalries' whether the relative strength is even or way out of whack.

With the 16 game schedule, they have a lot of leeway to get the better teams playing twice and rotating the others.
Didn't see any rule about how they are going to divvy up the 4 one-only's, but wouldn't be surprised if they just rotate them on a kind of a 2 1/2 year cycle. SEC only has one game of the three extras reserved for the big gripping traditional rivalry game such as Arkansas vs. Missouri. The other two rotate, so it's a hybrid of traditional and rotation. The problem with the weighted approach for the AAC is that you're dealing with 4 games split among 10 teams which could have a big effect in helping a lesser team edge out a slightly better team with weighted matchups. The BEast was dealing with just 3 games among 3 zillion and umpteen teams.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
2 less cupcakes to eat

That's right. Don't forget, too much "sugar" is not good for you.
The UConn women's team never benifits by playing "cupcakes".

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
That's right. Don't forget, too much "sugar" is not good for you.
The UConn women's team never benifits by playing "cupcakes".
Abbbbbbsolutely. When you play big cupcakes like Duke and South Carolina that you lip smack by 31 and 25 points, it can only lead to bad things like not being quite ready to easily handle one of those little teams like Dayton in the NCAA Tourney. Much better to play teams like USF that can keep it within 14 points in CT in March.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I can't believe that UConn would replace two low-profile games with another two low-profile games.
Probably not, but you do have to consider that Geno may not want to have his team run through an even more insanely killer schedule early in the year. Maybe he doesn't think his team without Stewie and MoJeff will be ready to jump in and take on a slate that not only includes something like this year's "other 3 FF teams" plus FSU plus a half-dozen worthies type group but also add two more Top 10 teams. BYers used to criticize Summitt for dialing up a killer OOC so high that in a few seasons the Vols seemed to be a little worn out come March.

If UConn does lose two team games from the schedule against the Texas teams and replaces them with a few decent teams like Cal, ASU or OK, that would be fine, but things don't need to get too brutal for next year's team. We don't want them getting jet-lagged and losing another November game they should have won and then seeing the BYers walking around in shock for the next four months.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There are also some traditional games - Hartford and Holy Cross that have gone by the wayside in recent years that might get picked up again, or a scheduled away game for a senior, or a regional game for recruiting

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Probably not, but you do have to consider that Geno may not want to have his team run through an even more insanely killer schedule early in the year. Maybe he doesn't think his team without Stewie and MoJeff will be ready to jump in and take on a slate that not only includes something like this year's "other 3 FF teams" plus FSU plus a half-dozen worthies type group but also add two more Top 10 teams. BYers used to criticize Summitt for dialing up a killer OOC so high that in a few seasons the Vols seemed to be a little worn out come March.

If UConn does lose two team games from the schedule against the Texas teams and replaces them with a few decent teams like Cal, ASU or OK, that would be fine, but things don't need to get too brutal for next year's team. We don't want them getting jet-lagged and losing another November game they should have won and then seeing the BYers walking around in shock for the next four months.
You want UConn duck quality team after Stewie and Mo graduate?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Um, so as I mentioned, UConn has the other FF teams on the schedule, another top 10 team, a bunch of other T25 teams plus a bunch more T50 teams to this year get to around half the schedule against dat least ecent quality teams, which is I assume about what Geno would schedule for 2016-17. And its the toughest schedule in WCBB by far.

So tell me again how it is "ducking quality teams" to avoid adding two more Top 10 teams on top of that after you lose your superstar forward and point guard? The team has enough of a nut cracker schedule this year and you want them to amp it up even more and plunge even further into the whirlwind with a new situation at PG? Sounds like Pat Summitt speaking there with a "I want you crawling under barbed wire and loving it so you'll be tough enough for me approach," but hey, maybe Geno will go for it. Might as well let your new PG run a gauntlet of away games against the best squads, and if her ego takes a major hit and the BY gets in an uproar about less than expected performances, who cares, March is still a few months away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom