AAC teams getting better | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC teams getting better

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can't tell if you're being serious or playful.

First, if UConn's best players were seniors, then they would be getting drafted in the first round.

Clearly, neither UConn nor USF is quite what they were last year. But there are 9 other teams in the conference.

Since you think # of draft picks is a valid holistic metric of conference strength, then I guess you think the A-10 was a better conference last year than the Pac-12.
I am being serious not playful. The total number of WNBA picks (not a UCONN only thing) in two different years is a holistic measure of comparing the same conference. But when you attempt to stretch it across two different conferences well that would be a S T R E T C H.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm not even sure what this means: "Please do not chastise me for not reading when you fail to read my posting with the detail you require of me."
I'm not tweeking anyone, I disagree with the opinion that this conference is getting better.
I apologize for any offense.
No offense here, I posted the thread to see some different opinions and yours is well-supported. I think though, and this is always an issue when evaluating conferences in any sport, that you have to decide if you're looking at the top or looking at the mean (or is it median?). The Massey ratings Glenn posted (thanks Glenn) would indicate a slight drop in the top 3 (read:USF) but an uptick in the conference's 2nd four teams. Maybe this is one of those discussions where everybody gets to be right.

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure what this means: "Please do not chastise me for not reading when you fail to read my posting with the detail you require of me." (SINCE YOU HIGH LIGHTED YOUR INITIAL COMMENT--in a less than serious reply--I posted this--and I took no offense to your posting--to me all in jest!!
I'm not tweeking anyone, I disagree with the opinion that this conference is getting better.
I apologize for any offense.
No offense---I see this whole exchange as fun--and enjoyable---I saw your original posting on this concept as --a joyful tweeking--abeit with with a serious tone.
I realize how one could (and you did) make the distinction that this is the worst team in 4 years--but it is impossible for me to think of or see this team in terms of WOrST after all they have accomplished. As I have posted--half in jest half serious--with out direct confrontation between the two (impossible) you cannot make that distinction without using number and numbers in sports rarely tell the true story. My opinion for better or worst. But no offense---
I enjoy (nearly) everything you post--serious or not so serious.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The level of effort from these teams is significantly better than it was last year or the year before. They compete harder and for the whole game. You are going to see that start to pay off in non-conference wins, and an overall improvement in the level of play in conference.
I would disagree, in the conference games that UCONN has played thus far I see the same level of effort as last year. Teams like SMU, Tulsa, USF, Tulane are capable of and have played beautiful basketball. What I see is diminished talent and youth significantly at USF, ECU, and SMU.

Reaction Score
Last year the AAC teams as a whole won 52% of their nonconference games. This year they won 68%. I'd say that's getting better.

Are they getting better in play or getting better in scheduling weak opponents? Can't tell from that stat alone.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I would disagree, in the conference games that UCONN has played thus far I see the same level of effort as last year. Teams like SMU, Tulsa, USF, Tulane are capable of and have played beautiful basketball. What I see is diminished talent and youth significantly at USF, ECU, and SMU.

ECU and SMU are two of the four teams that have in fact improved drastically over last year, along with Houston and UCF. Just because they don't have first-round draft prospects doesn't mean they haven't improved.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Are they getting better in play or getting better in scheduling weak opponents? Can't tell from that stat alone.

Yes, I realize that winning percentage doesn't speak to strength of schedule. But I highly doubt that a year-to-year 16-percentage-point improvement for an entire conference would be entirely the result of a weaker schedule.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ECU and SMU are two of the four teams that have in fact improved drastically over last year, along with Houston and UCF. Just because they don't have first-round draft prospects doesn't mean they haven't improved.
How are ECU & SMU "improved drastically"?
ECU: 1 & 6 in the conference this year. Last year they were 6 & 12.
SMU: 2 & 4 in the conference this year. Last year they were 7 & 11.

Plebe

Reaction Score
How are ECU & SMU "improved drastically"?
ECU: 1 & 6 in the conference this year. Last year they were 6 & 12.
SMU: 2 & 4 in the conference this year. Last year they were 7 & 11.

Both have played a relatively front-loaded conference schedules, and they're playing against other teams that have also improved. Four of ECU's six losses have been the top 4 teams in the AAC, each of which has a good chance at an NCAA at-large bid.

SMU's RPI rank has gone from #197 last year to #80 this year. I'd call that drastic improvement.

ECU's RPI rank has gone from #146 last year to #91 this year. That perhaps not as drastic, but improvement nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Have to agree with Coco. Most of the league was horrendous last year. A few are up to bad this year. Doesn't mean there is significant improvement. Strength of schedule is poor-hard to judge with bad teams beating other bad teams. Poor league for UConn.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling I'm wading into a pool that is way over my head, by at the risk of perhaps drowning in either statistics or logic -- neither a pleasant outcome -- let me try.

UConn's team this year, however noble and surprising it may be, does not measure up, talent-wise, to the superior teams of the last two years. In terms of production, it would be hard to differentiate them. 15-0 is the same as 15-0, seems to me.

That said, I think SFU, the number two team, is weaker than last year's edition. Beyond that, however, are the middlin' teams that I think are better than before. Tulane is better, though still not good enough to avoid being killed by UConn. Temple seems better and will be a strong candidate for #2 Cincy has a much better record than they had last year. Assuming they played similar competition, they are making the league better.

I thought SMU had some bright spots, which, if I recall correctly last year's games, they did not exhibit then. Ditto with UCF. Befoire they were terrible. Now they are not-terrible, which is an improvement, IMHO. I honestly don't know what to think of ECU, except to hope they never bring their bodyguards again. The rest need an infusion of administrative support, but are no worse than they were last year. In sum, overall, an improvement.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Have to agree with Coco. Most of the league was horrendous last year. A few are up to bad this year. Doesn't mean there is significant improvement. Strength of schedule is poor-hard to judge with bad teams beating other bad teams. Poor league for UConn.

Adapting your terminology: For a "horrendous" team, "bad" is improvement. Rising 100 spots in the RPI for a team like that is a significant step forward. It's all too easy to sit high atop UConn Mountain and scoff at the have-nots of WCBB. Remember that UConn would make almost every team from every conference appear somewhere from "bad" to "horrendous."

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
AAC is now 5th in Conference RPI Standings. B10 is lower then AAC. Yes, the conference is improving as Charlie Creme is saying 4 teams in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Every where that UConn Womens basketball competes, over time the competition always raises its level of play to try to achieve the "UConn Level". Look what happened in the old Big East over 20 years.

UConn is always in a league by itself. UConn being in the AAC makes the AAC basketball relevant and the rest of the coaches and schools know it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
That kind of macro aggregation can be easily countered by a mirco-minor point. This is UCONN's worst team in 4 years, if UCONN is best team in the conference how could the conference as a whole be considered as getting better?
Coco point understood on the last 2 years for sure, definitely not for Stewies freshman year. This team beats 2013. I also think it gives the 2014 team a good run (no Morgan) as KLM was significantly slower and only an outside shooter. Dolson and Stewie were coming into their own bit this teams quickness would be a good offset to them. At worst, it would be close. Again your point is understood that all basketball talent is down this year which I think accounts for AAC (who may be treading water) having higher win pct over other Conferences.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco point understood on the last 2 years for sure, definitely not for Stewies freshman year. This team beats 2013. I also think it gives the 2014 team a good run (no Morgan) as KLM was significantly slower and only an outside shooter. Dolson and Stewie were coming into their own bit this teams quickness would be a good offset to them. At worst, it would be close. Again your point is understood that all basketball talent is down this year which I think accounts for AAC (who may be treading water) having higher win pct over other Conferences.
No way, let's start in the back court for 2013.
Doty, Faris, A young MoJeff, Bria Hartley, & a healthy Brianna banks to start the season.
* I also have KML who I can slide into a guard position just in case you want to say KLS is a guard.
This year team at guard would have:
Saniya, Kia, Molly, & Crystal. I don't see this guard comparison as been even close. Do I even have to compare and post positions, because I don't think that close either?

In 2014 we would lose Faris and Doty and picked up Saniya but MoJeff made a sophomore leap and Stewie was POY.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree. The teams don't go away after the blitz and continue to play hard. I feel like hat Molly and Kyla stepped up a bit yesterday.
Yes, to Kyla. She contributed real minutes in her best game to date. Bent didn't get in until garbage time so it's hard to judge.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, to Kyla. She contributed real minutes in her best game to date. Bent didn't get in until garbage time so it's hard to judge.
Not really hard to judge Molly IMO, Molly did not get into the game until garbage time in a game where Crystal was wearing street clothes=not good!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom