AAC & Grant-of-Rights | Page 15 | The Boneyard

AAC & Grant-of-Rights

Reaction Score
Public and private are different. In private, I've had someone who is more important say, yes, it is possible.

Reaction Score
Beep no. I went to a Catholic high school that developed into a MAAC school.

I'd rather join the NESCAC.

Reaction Score
Trash the football program??? The football program trashes the football program. It's an absolute disgrace what they put on the field and try to pass off as football.
The football program is an absolute disgrace, it it needs to be fixed and not thrown to the curb. Fixing starts with imposing some accountability and quickly dumping coaches that don’t perform (I.e., the Defesive Staff this year and Edsall next year if he doesn’t start producing).

C

Chief00

The football program is an absolute disgrace, it it needs to be fixed and not thrown to the curb. Fixing starts with imposing some accountability and quickly dumping coaches that don’t perform (I.e., the Defesive Staff this year and Edsall next year if he doesn’t start producing).

Chief would have done it this year. Unless something changes, we are losing a recruiting year anyways. The transition in a year will mean yet another loss year. You need to cut your losses quickly when you screw up.

Reaction Score

As much as the peanut gallery likes to chirp, UConns decision to sell the BE name has paid off with a more valuable product than the NBE/FS1.

It's now up to the Presidents to capitalize. I'm not worried about hoops with players like Akok and Wiseman setting the bar higher next year.
UConn football can rise up quickly. If we've learned anything by what UCF did (winless 4 seasons ago) its that the AAC can build a FB program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As much as the peanut gallery likes to chirp, UConns decision to sell the BE name has paid off with a more valuable product than the NBE/FS1.

It's now up to the Presidents to capitalize. I'm not worried about hoops with players like Akok and Wiseman setting the bar higher next year.
UConn football can rise up quickly. If we've learned anything by what UCF did (winless 4 seasons ago) its that the AAC can build a FB program.

The dollars say different. And the structure of the G5/P5 dynamic isn't going to change to make them closer. It is a cartel and cartels go to the mattresses to keep everyone in line.

Reaction Score
@Chief00 and @BlueDogs I agree with both of you guys. This 5 year football re-build is a joke. They should be putting every dollar (with the exception of $$ for basketball) to football starting with paying for a top, proven coaching staff to AT LEAST make football competitive. It can happen quickly. Other schools who spend less than us have done it. Last month I asked AD David Benedict at a reception if he was concerned about the lack of improvement this year, he said he wasn't and had total confidence in Edsall and Crocker and if the team hasn't shown improvement in 5 years, then he would be concerned. Talk about setting the bar nice and low. Of course, he won't be here in 5 years so why does he care? Anyway, pay enough, and a good staff will come.

As for the NBE. I don't get why folks are so high on going to the NBE. Why is that better than the American? The NBE is not even a shadow of the old Big East. Those days are long gone. And the AAC is damn good conference - alot closer to p5 than the NBE. I actually feel pretty happy/lucky we are in the conference. Frankly, I get the feeling the other schools in the conference talk about UConn the way we talk about Tulsa and ECU. We just gotta turn around the football program. It can be done. I don't want to say it can't get any worse because every time I say that, it does.

Reaction Score
Do you know how much bigger CFB ratings are than CBB ratings?

It depends on the school and conference. You'd have to compare AAC football and UConn bball. But in general, for the P5, football is tops for sure.

Reaction Score
Not sure the MAC would want to dilute their conference. /s, mostly. Sagarin has us as ranked behind every team from their conference.

Buffalo was a huge dumpster fire 2 years ago, with the same coach as this year on the verge of being fired, and Buffalo recruits in an area that hardly plays any football whatsoever.

Reaction Score
2. as a result, the aac will sign a new deal worth at least 2x more than the current deal, but not 3-4x more

No one has explained the logic here. Why would a network pay more for an AAC with a GOR? Why would they even care?

Reaction Score

The Catholic schools are not only dead in the water in the future landscape of college sports, but they are dead in the water as ongoing entities in this country. They are going to go the way of all the Catholic high schools. A few good ones--many will shutter. Why would UConn hitch their horse to that post?

Reaction Score
So do we have to commit to the conference if we don’t get extra dollars?
Susan Herbst has really bungled things. Why are we spending 10’s of millions on minor sports when we should be throwing the Hail Mary football pass and hiring top coaches. It’s what matters in CR. These worthless consultants she loves to listen to tell you major conferences prefer you to have good programs in these sports but look how schools not even in the CR conversation 10 years ago have leaped frogged us by focusing on football, while under Susan’s clueless sports leadership we sank.

Because Susan would have done a better job at picking a football coach than Warde Manuel and Benedict?

Let's face it, it wasn't her job to pick football coaches, and that's really where UConn is hurting mostly. The fact is, schools in our region, with worse recruiting areas, with worse facilities, with worse conference situations, with worse budgets, are outworking UConn where it matters most: coaching. Simple as that. UConn can turn this around.

C

Chief00

Because Susan would have done a better job at picking a football coach than Warde Manuel and Benedict?

Let's face it, it wasn't her job to pick football coaches, and that's really where UConn is hurting mostly. The fact is, schools in our region, with worse recruiting areas, with worse facilities, with worse conference situations, with worse budgets, are outworking UConn where it matters most: coaching. Simple as that. UConn can turn this around.

No denying most of the points in your post. One pushback, perhaps we give them the benefit of the doubt about other coaches “outworking” ours - maybe it’s more about having a good plan and being more effective.

Reaction Score
Not that WBB brings in a ton of revenue but they certainly carry more than their weight with increasing the brand awareness of UConn, but wait till Geno retires. We better hope Hurley has MBB on the rise (which I think he will), but more importantly fball has to be winning more than 1 gm/yr...otherwise this ship is going to sink fast

Reaction Score
The Catholic schools ...... are dead in the water as ongoing entities in this country......

Please present facts to support your crazy opinion that Georgetown, Villanova, Creighton, Providence, St. John's and other BE schools are "dead in the water as ongoing entities" (your words).

Reaction Score
Buffalo was a huge dumpster fire 2 years ago, with the same coach as this year on the verge of being fired, and Buffalo recruits in an area that hardly plays any football whatsoever.

I realize this but Edsall isn't Leipold. My point was that as much as I may want to turn up my nose at MAC football, we are worse than all of them currently. We may need to lessen our academic standards. We are good academically but much better schools do not complain about this issue. Maybe it is an issue or maybe it's an Edsall excuse, IDK.

I see no shot at the Big 10 and less than no shot at the Big 12. We need to get our football mediocre for the slight chance we can get into the ACC in 6 years.

Reaction Score
Clearly Edsall will not be fired this year so we probably have to endure another dumpster fire next year and then maybe start over yet again. Maybe by 2021 we'll have some life in FB program....not holding my breath.

Biggest fear is that in next few years some or all of UCF, Cincy, Memphis, Houston have found greener conference pastures thanks to strong FB programs and Hurley bolts for NBA soon after.

If AAC gets a decent contract closer to P5 $ in 2020 who knows maybe it will work out and AAC stays intact otherwise could get ugly. Not buying there will be no more CR until 2025 so that 2020 AAC needs to be good.

Reaction Score
Please present facts to support your crazy opinion that Georgetown, Villanova, Creighton, Providence, St. John's and other BE schools are "dead in the water as ongoing entities" (your words).

Presidents and chancellors have said this outright at open forums. And I didn't say all or any of the BE schools, but Catholic schools in general. But schools like St. John's--if other Catholics are shuttering--they will be hurt badly. The administrators planning things 10 years out are expecting Armageddon in Higher Ed. a decade out. And it's happening for a number of reasons. Georgetown will be OK. The others are going to suffer bigtime with the oncoming upheaval resulting from poor demographics, not enough funding, customers drying up. The fire has actually already started at the small regional privates. Look at places like U. Hartford, Sacred Heart, etc., to get a pulse of their health. Conn. College, Trinity and Wesleyan will be fine. Go below that tier, and the hurt has already started (elimination of departments and schools, firing of staff, bareboned budgets, contingent instructors). Some schools have already died. Look at Antioch College in Ohio, long considered a pretty good mid-tier private. Last year it admitted 9 freshman. 9!!!!! It's dead, buried.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom