AAC & Grant-of-Rights | Page 11 | The Boneyard

AAC & Grant-of-Rights

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Disney is about to own/purchase 20th century fox soon too. How does that come into play with all this i wonder... uconn and gonzaga would be great adds for basketball to the BE. If this football thing doesn't work out... like it seems
Fox Sports 1 and 2 are not part of the deal, and Disney has to selloff the regionals. So, should be a non-factor.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
where i'm at, is where it be.
fuhball, bball, and all the rest,
it's A-A-C.
forget the hype, put down the pipe,
and cheer the bright future,
for the A-A-C.

(da "A" in AAC stands fur 'Murica---noice.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
John Toner, the guy who rarely showed up in the office? The guy who took pride in giving AD money back to the school?
John Toner who didn't show up in the office while he was fulfilling his duties as president of the NCAA? The guy who made the decision who join the Big East? The guy who hired Geno Auriemma and Jim Calhoun?

Yeah, that would be the guy.

Reaction Score

Uh, no. No one ever said that. Follow along please. The whole point of the thread is whether they want to downgrade (BE) or else hold out for joining similar institutions. If they downgrade, they never join similar institutions.

Reaction Score
John Toner who didn't show up in the office while he was fulfilling his duties as president of the NCAA? The guy who made the decision who join the Big East? The guy who hired Geno Auriemma and Jim Calhoun?

Have you ever heard of Dee Rowe?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The idea of hiring managers in the real world looking through some US News & Reports undergraduate education rankings and making decisions off that is pretty damn funny.

Guess what? Unless you're at Harvard or Southwest Bumble-f State, you probably fall into the same category.

UConn, Syracuse, PC, Rutgers, BC, Pitt, etc. etc. etc. good schools. Now show an employer what you can do and not debate for hours over some flawed ranking system in a magazine.

CL82

Reaction Score
Have you ever heard of Dee Rowe?
Yep, outstanding guy, but he was never the AD at UConn. Being on the search committees isn't the same thing as being the guy who makes the decision.

Reaction Score
@Towney007 @Pudge @upstater : for the love of god please stop arguing about how dumb students in the big east and aac are. no one cares.

Hence. You totally lost the debate component. Full University research and the multiplier effect on things beyond a basketball hoop seems to throw you.

It ain’t about smarts. And since Friar J is here ... nah never mind.

Reaction Score
Sign the deal, take the money unless there's a realignment option on the table. I have more faith in the AAC gaining credibility in football & basketball than our chances of joining the Big 12 or ACC.

Don't join the BE, it will regress over time to the other basketball-only conferences. Small private schools will have a hard time sustaining competitive teams over time compared with schools with larger enrollment & budgets.

Reaction Score
Yep, outstanding guy, but he was never the AD at UConn. Being on the search committees isn't the same thing as being the guy who makes the decision.
No Dee Rowe = No Calhoun and No Geno.

Reaction Score
The best way to preserve our legendary basketball reputation is by doing everything we can to get it into a P5 conference. To me, there is no difference in the long term trajectory of the Big East or AAC. If anything, I would say the AAC will be better in 10 years as long as nobody leaves. The GOR would ensure nobody leaves.

It seems counter-intuitive, but the best way to ensure our hoops remains nationally relevant is by significantly increasing our investment in football. We are never going to be a national contender in football and we don't have to be. We just need to be a small bowl game caliber football program like we were in the old Big East years. Once we get there, we are the most attractive P5 expansion candidate BY FAR because we could then offer P5 conferences what they truly covet - year round competitive sports in the biggest market corridor in the country. In other words, money.

I really hate conference expansion talk, except that it brings @Dooley back to make these high quality posts since this is his area of expertise.

Reaction Score

And Dom Perno

Reaction Score
The best way to preserve our legendary basketball reputation is by doing everything we can to get it into a P5 conference. To me, there is no difference in the long term trajectory of the Big East or AAC. If anything, I would say the AAC will be better in 10 years as long as nobody leaves. The GOR would ensure nobody leaves.

It seems counter-intuitive, but the best way to ensure our hoops remains nationally relevant is by significantly increasing our investment in football. We are never going to be a national contender in football and we don't have to be. We just need to be a small bowl game caliber football program like we were in the old Big East years. Once we get there, we are the most attractive P5 expansion candidate BY FAR because we could then offer P5 conferences what they truly covet - year round competitive sports in the biggest market corridor in the country. In other words, money.

Absolutely. There however was one leak that’s sure to get under everyone’s skin: UConn would not be included in AAC group of schools receiving a larger proportion of media dollars due to our lack of current P5 appeal (those most likely to bolt prior to the GOR expiring). Those extra dollars would be tagged for Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, Houston, and UCF. That’s a non-negotiable for UConn. That kind of slight is grounds for an exit.

CL82

Reaction Score
No Dee Rowe = No Calhoun and No Geno.
Uh huh. Did Dee sign the contracts or the checks?

Don't get me wrong, he's an outstanding guy, as was John Toner.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Can we kick out ECU and bring in Boise State? Seems like that could help tv money.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. There however was one leak that’s sure to get under everyone’s skin: UConn would not be included in AAC group of schools receiving a larger proportion of media dollars due to our lack of current P5 appeal (those most likely to bolt prior to the GOR expiring). Those extra dollars would be tagged for Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, Houston, and UCF. That’s a non-negotiable for UConn. That kind of slight is grounds for an exit.

This is also reinforced by the fact that ratings-wise, there is no argument for AAC football over UConn bball, men's and women's. Both draw about 1-1.5 million fans.

Reaction Score
Hence. You totally lost the debate component. Full University research and the multiplier effect on things beyond a basketball hoop seems to throw you.

It ain’t about smarts. And since Friar J is here ... nah never mind.

no need to get personal. but you're right, i only have 2 bachelor and 2 graduate degrees, so this debate is much too esoteric for my tiny brain to comprehend.

so while we're at it, can you please explain why Tulsa and ECSU are such desirable conference affiliates, based on an assessment of their "Full University research and the multiplier effect on things beyond a basketball hoop."

is it because of their "major regional research (READ Medical plus other things)"? as you so eloquently stated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom