AAC future members? Say goodbye to Navy? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC future members? Say goodbye to Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Huh?

Comprehension problems scooter? Who compared Wichita State to the great Georgetown teams?....My post is the exact opposite saying that the "Wichita State model" no longer will prevail.

I do not have Wichita State going that far...that's why I said that the Wichita State model no longer prevails...they aren't Georgetown..

But Ewing was indeed a bad, bad man.

Reaction Score
Are you truly dumb enough to believe that?
He keeps saying it.... Apparantly we'd be more attractive to the acc or big ten if we were making 5million a year in the big east.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn, if they really went to the BE, would cement their position....there would be no identity waffling...they would be Georgetown of the 80's...a big time basketball presence without the distraction of football.

Why would they do that?

Reaction Score
Who knows?

Why would a football school stay in a basketball conference to cement their position? Been asking myself that a lot over 20 years.

Reaction Score
Joining the NBE would be a major mistake IMO. It is a mid major comprised primarily of small private religious universities and thus not a suitable home for a program like Uconn. As a flagship public with an emphasis on research you belong in a conference of peer institutions. I can certainly understand your frustrations, but going the route of the Big East would destroy any momentum the school has built in football over the last decade. As difficult as it seems, Uconn needs to rebuild the program under Diacco, competing for and eventually winning AAC Titles. It could be next year or it could be 10 years from now, but eventually Uconn will be in either The ACC or B1G. The Big East can in no way help your school in making this jump.

Reaction Score
UConn, if they really went to the BE, would cement their position....there would be no identity waffling...they would be Georgetown of the 80's...a big time basketball presence without the distraction of football.
You realize we have more national titles in all sports than FSU, right? You have 12. We're looking at #18.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He keeps saying it.... Apparantly we'd be more attractive to the acc or big ten if we were making 5million a year in the big east.
The more it is said the more one believes it to be true. In fact the exact opposite is true.

Putting basketball and Olympic sports in the A-10 or Big East puts a ceiling on where UConn can go and what it can achieve. It is forsaking the $$tens of millions to which UConn probably has access in the future for the $1 or 2 million they could get now (ignoring the fact that neither the A-10, nor Big want UConn unless they give up Div. 1 Football).

However if UConn give up Div. 1 football, they absolutely give up the probability of the $$tens of millions (in athletics, but in endowment and academics) without question; end of conversation. UConn is betting that the $tens of Millions will be made available in the not so distance future. I think it's a good bet. No sure thing to be sure, but a good bet.

One other thing to remember, this is not 1987 (or even 1999) anymore. Since the advent of the Bowl Alliance (or whatever it was called back in the day), football conferences transcend football. Prior to the break up of the Big East, a mid-major basketball conference was basically defined as a non-Big 6 basketball conference. What was a Big 6 basketball conference (Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, ACC, Big East, SEC)? I'll give you a hint. They resemble the BCS football conferences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc