AAC first team announcement [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC first team announcement [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry to rain on everybody's parade, but MoJeff should have been voted the defensive player of the year. When they needed a lift, a boost, it was Moriah's smothering defense that propelled the ship. Sorry, Stef. You're incredible, but MoJeff is the defensive player of the year.

Reaction Score
Surprises me somewhat. I would have thought Stewart. They were close in blocks, but Stewart was in the top 6 in steals, while Dolson was on in top 10. Dolson was a little bit better rebounder, but.....??

Oh well, Congrats to Dolson anyway. I'll take it.

Or Moriah?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
FWIW, Michael Sam was voted the SEC defensive player of the year yet many NFL scouts say he can't play and may only be mid-round pick. He had the right numbers in the right stats to get the award. Similarly, look at how many Heisman QB winners can't last at all in the NFL (Tebow) Awards are often given based on stats, and sometimes stats lie. I don't think Stef is the best off-ball defender on the team, nor is she the best shot blocker. You could argue she is the best rebounder but mostly because of her feet. She is also the best defensive coach on the court on the team. So when you look at her performance in totality, it is an easy case for her.

That all said, for the whole team to have only one scholarship player not get a post regular season award is pretty ridiculous and indicative of how bad some of the other starting fives are.

Reaction Score
Stef definitely deserved DPOY over Breanna. Breanna made the leap this year to play more aggressively defensively which has translated to blocks and steals after being awful on defense as a freshman (This is one rare case where Geno wasn't using hyperbole), but that is still not the same thing as anchoring the defense the way Stef has learned to do.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
That all said, for the whole team to have only one scholarship player not get a post regular season award is pretty ridiculous and indicative of how bad some of the other starting fives are.
It wasn't that much different last year in a much bigger Big East when 6 Huskies earned honors. Maybe the big difference was that the eventual NCAA tourney MOP was shunted back to the Honorable Mention squad with a hobbled Bria, a feat on Stewie's side which is already semi-legendary and unlikely ever to be repeated by any other player. That a WNBA first round draft choice like Kelly Faris could only make the 2nd team is also odd, but who are we to judge the judges? Still, I like the AAC coaches' way of seeing things.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
FWIW, Michael Sam was voted the SEC defensive player of the year yet many NFL scouts say he can't play and may only be mid-round pick. He had the right numbers in the right stats to get the award. Similarly, look at how many Heisman QB winners can't last at all in the NFL (Tebow) Awards are often given based on stats, and sometimes stats lie. I don't think Stef is the best off-ball defender on the team, nor is she the best shot blocker. You could argue she is the best rebounder but mostly because of her feet. She is also the best defensive coach on the court on the team. So when you look at her performance in totality, it is an easy case for her.

On your NFL/College stuff ... it is also that game changes (as it does in other sports) when you play at the next level. It is especially true in football where offensive and defensive schemes vary greatly from college to the pros - for QBs running skill in college is huge and a big reason for Tebow's success. For defensive linemen/linebackers - the speed and power requirements change dramatically - the Heisman and other college awards are all about college production and not professional projection though a few of those who fail were also projected to be NFL stars.

Reaction Score
Moriah changed the complexion of the games. Moriah shut down Shoni Schimmel. Moriah turned up the heat and the number of turnovers created by the other team. Moriah is the Defensive Player of the Year.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The problem when discussing defensive player of the year is it is difficult to know the criteria by individual voters. In some cases, a number of voters appear to favor blocks and you might get a blocks leader that does little else a the winner. Another time, voters might be most impressed by steals, and that's what you get. And sometimes, especially if the voters really base it on observation, it goes to the player that was most valuable to her team on defense (looks from what I'm reading that that happened here).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A lot of what Stef does is "be there", something Mojet does not have. Stef occupies prime defensive real estate very well. It really sucks that we have 2 players in this debate, huh?! ;)

Reaction Score
I can make an argument for Dolson getting DPOY. Clearly she's the UConn player that directs the defensive traffic when she is out there. She also movers her feet extremely well. Yet I never see that as prime considerations when voters make DPOY selections. In other words I'm a little puzzled by this as well, but am glad she won it .... especially since my wife now has a practice Tshirt signed by her :) .
I can agree here as Stef gets her pat on the back for all the hard work. Stewi has two more shots at it. One has to wonder just what it is based on though.
Defensive RB Stewie 184 Stef 214
Personal fouls most often commited on D... Stewie 53 Stef 69
Steals Stewie 50 Stef 31
Blocks Stewie 86 Stef 71

Maybe they are just trying to respect a hard working senior for all the improvement and a job well done.
As for Stewie I feel she is proud to see Stef get this hardware as she goes home with player of the year herself. I love em both.

Reaction Score
All I can say is I couldn't be happier for Stef. Excellence plus attitude plus personality. We've never had anyone like her. Irreplaceable, like the songs says: "I miss you already and you're not even gone".

Sonny nothing harsh here but I have to disagree with you on the fact we've never had anyone like her. I am thankfull we have had so many come through this program just like her. Yes every human has a different personality, but when it comes to those that have filled her position in the past they all have been a joy to watch develop and in their upperclassmen years excell.
It is rare that the big girls can come in and keep up with what I will call a UCONN pace, like the others before her she worked hard and it has paid off.

Steff has done herself, her family, the school and her extended family (us) proud by following in the foot steps of those I think she has very much in common with. Not sure how you missed out on Kerry, Jamelle, Rebecca, Kara, Kelly , Asjha, Jessica or Tina......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom