AAC first team announcement [merged thread] | The Boneyard

AAC first team announcement [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Plus Dolson gets Defensive POY and ties for Sportsmanship award with Tia Gibbs.
Both KML and Stokes! make the second team.
And Chong makes the Freshman team.
Stewart Hartley and Dolson were unanimous on the 1st team - surprised the Moriah wasn't as well!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I will say that 22 players (11 + 11) between the two teams is a little more than necessary - throw in 11 for freshman team and you have 6 starting lineups out of the 10 teams!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I will say that 22 players (11 + 11) between the two teams is a little more than necessary - throw in 11 for freshman team and you have 6 starting lineups out of the 10 teams!
Well no Honorable Mention.......so really the second team....

And yet, Houston draws a complete blank. That's gotta hurt.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Plus Dolson gets Defensive POY
Surprises me somewhat. I would have thought Stewart. They were close in blocks, but Stewart was in the top 6 in steals, while Dolson was on in top 10. Dolson was a little bit better rebounder, but.....??

Oh well, Congrats to Dolson anyway. I'll take it.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
One kind of top player on another team that did not make any of the honors teams was Syessence Davis of Rutgers who led the AAC in steals, was 4th in assists, and was 2nd behind MoJeff in A\TO ratio. Very valuable player for the Knights, but her scoring and shooting stats obviously turned off the votes for her.

Reaction Score
Asia Taylor is certainly deserving, but I would think that Moriah should have got Most Improved Player. I guess they didn't want to have it be too UCONN heavy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Asia Taylor is certainly deserving, but I would think that Moriah should have got Most Improved Player. I guess they didn't want to have it be too UCONN heavy.
I think it is sort of hard for a sophomore to win this as that is what sophomores are expected to do since they are no longer freshman. It is more likely to go to a player who struggled as a sophomore or junior like Bria last year for example.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Dolson for DPOY? Rachel Hollivay lead the league with 94 blocks, compared to 71 for Dolson. *shrugs*

Although Dolson was better in rebounding, so I suppose that did it.

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Coler said:
Dolson for DPOY? Rachel Hollivay lead the league with 92 blocks, compared to 71 for Dolson. *shrugs*
. I don't watch enough Rutgers ball to compare, but I will say Stef plays fantastic defense, including more generally disrupting points in the paint. Personally, I'd go with Stewie for this title.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
One kind of top player on another team that did not make any of the honors teams was Syessence Davis of Rutgers who led the AAC in steals, was 4th in assists, and was 2nd behind MoJeff in A\TO ratio. Very valuable player for the Knights, but her scoring and shooting stats obviously turned off the votes for her.

She is very valuable for us, although she needs needs to work on being a scoring threat because that would really take the pressure off Scaife to be our only scoring option from the guard spot.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Dolson for DPOY? Rachel Hollivay lead the league with 94 blocks, compared to 71 for Dolson. *shrugs*

Although Dolson was better in rebounding, so I suppose that did it.
Um, so defense just equals blocks? Hollivay can't get a steal if you hold a $100 bill in front of her nose, and Stef had a ton more defensive rebounds. Besides maybe Davis as the league leader in steals stole some votes from her teammate.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Um, so defense just equals blocks? Hollivay can't get a steal if you hold a $100 bill in front of her nose, and Stef had a ton more defensive rebounds. Besides maybe Davis as the league leader in steals stole some votes from her teammate.

No, I didn't say that...I'm just saying that in the article it mentioned Dolson's blocks & rebounding...so I was just saying that Rachel had 23 more blocks then Dolson. That's all.

And perhaps your rights, also perhaps Dolson stole votes from Stewart as well.

Reaction Score
I have a question. Are the conference awards supposed to reflect more of what the players accomplished within conference games or can OOC games be considered as well? I'm not in the coaches' heads so I don't know how they actually vote, but what is the intention of the awards?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it would be hard to name a defensive POY from a team other than Uconn considering they are so dominant nationally on that score, let alone within the league. And I think Dolson gets credit for being the 'quarterback' of the defense - in the center and organizing the switching and rotations and calling out the screens.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have a question. Are the conference awards supposed to reflect more of what the players accomplished within conference games or can OOC games be considered as well? I'm not in the coaches' heads so I don't know how they actually vote, but what is the intention of the awards?
Supposed to be conference centric, but much is based on general impressions that do include non-conference reps. The stats they look at though would be within the conference. There have been a few times in the past when awards were a little surprising until you actually looked at conference versus full year numbers

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I can make an argument for Dolson getting DPOY. Clearly she's the UConn player that directs the defensive traffic when she is out there. She also movers her feet extremely well. Yet I never see that as prime considerations when voters make DPOY selections. In other words I'm a little puzzled by this as well, but am glad she won it .... especially since my wife now has a practice Tshirt signed by her :) .

Reaction Score
With so many players getting awards, I am surprised either Polly or Tierney didn't make 1st team walk on

All I can say is I couldn't be happier for Stef. Excellence plus attitude plus personality. We've never had anyone like her. Irreplaceable, like the songs says: "I miss you already and you're not even gone".

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I think it is sort of hard for a sophomore to win this as that is what sophomores are expected to do since they are no longer freshman. It is more likely to go to a player who struggled as a sophomore or junior like Bria last year for example.

I've never heard of any such reasoning. Improved is improved and Moriah Jefferson has improved by leaps and bounds. She should not only have won this award but also national award as well.

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
I've never heard of any such reasoning. Improved is improved and Moriah Jefferson has improved by leaps and bounds. She should not only have won this award but also national award as well.

I agree...Most improved= Bon Bon, DPOY= Bon Bon, smallest feet= Bon Bon, most impressive blocks...you guessed it Bon Bon !

Reaction Score
Uconn's best defensive player is the one who has been getting, and will continue to get, the job of shutting down the opponent's best scorer. I believe we all know who that is. jmo.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to all, especially Kiah. That's nice recognition for a non-starter.

Kaleena had a tough year due to things beyond her control. Look for her to be unanimous 1st team next year. She should be a top 5 player nationally, maybe a top 2 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom