AAC Campuses | The Boneyard

AAC Campuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
How many have you been to? Which one other than UConn was your favorite?

Reaction Score
Ha! In my travels over the years I've been to all of them except E Carolina. My favorite is Navy in Annapolis.

Reaction Score
Been to Navy only. It's beautiful. What's funny is that I've been to the cities of Cincy, Tulsa, New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Philadelphia, Orlando, and Tampa without ever seeing the campuses.

Reaction Score
Memphis, SMU, Tulane, and ECU.

I actually randomly almost went to SMU, but did not.

SMU out of those 4 was the best. Memphis was probably the worst.

Reaction Score
Memphis, SMU, Tulane, and ECU.

I actually randomly almost went to SMU, but did not.

SMU out of those 4 was the best. Memphis was probably the worst.

I imagine SMU has the best co-eds by far.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Been to Navy for a football game a long time ago and been to Temple. To answer your question @John Temple is in a pretty crappy part of Philly. It's similar to Trinity. Campus is nice but go one block outside of it and it quickly turns.

Reaction Score
I imagine SMU has the best co-eds by far.
Quite nice, been to almost all of the SEC stadiums for a game, SMU is right up there with Bama, Ole Miss, and UGA in terms of talent

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
15 years ago I got so drunk at UCF I'm still hungover.

Reaction Score
Drove past both S Florida C Florida and did not stop as both campuses are far away from downtown Tampa and Orlando respectively. Ditto for Cincinnati, did not stop. Been to a basketball game at Temple. Did a tour of the Naval Academy, amazing place. Stayed at a hotel in Dallas near SMU and went for a (quick) walk around campus, it's small. Want to go Tulane.

Reaction Score
isn't it in an extremely bad area of Philly?

Not great, Temple's hospital, which if further up the road, is worse. I actually think that Drexel is ever worse than Temple as it basically serves as a buffer zone between some really bad areas of Philly and U Penn.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Only have been to USF. Some nice scenery there as well.

Reaction Score
Not great, Temple's hospital, which if further up the road, is worse. I actually think that Drexel is ever worse than Temple as it basically serves as a buffer zone between some really bad areas of Philly and U Penn.

I am in real estate - Student Housing development actually. And, this is so far from the truth that I have to JUMP up.

Drexel, IMHO, is one of the most well-located urban Privates in the country. It is not far from the really bad ... but it is soooo sweet in the blocks it is in; and the Papadakis administration followed by President John Fry has really jumpstarted this campus to a far higher arc. Comparable? Maybe Northeastern (also a BIG Co-op program, which I love for schools ... though I am not that clear on that Huntington campus's strength in departments. Drexel has some outstanding departments. And it is directly adjacent to Penn. American Campus has built sweet State-of-the-Art dorms - 2900 beds approx. and this is certainly one you ought to think about for your kids. Drexel - NOT THAT BAD. 10 minute walk to Rittenhouse Square is sweet.

Temple? Formerly a really harsh raw neighborhood. It has improved dramatically from 1995. Broad Street is only a few blocks from some 12-9th & 17-20th street danger. However, I think Temple has exploded in size and academic breadth - big enrollment growth. More & more good things coming.

I have been to Cincy. Also a Co-op school. Away from the CBD and looks - surrounding neighborhoods - somewhat sketchy (I know Philly better). It is a thoroughly nice architecture campus. All the Sports arenas/fields/stadiums compact. Sizeable Teaching hospital with research near. I can see why this is a solid future school.

Been also to Tulane (sweet campus & I like it's location); USF & UCF - but as the other person said - I drove through really fast; Navy - I have visited frequently since I was 12 - Annapolis is a gorgeous town & I love going/visiting & will love going to games there (as I do West Point as well); I have definitely walked SMU's campus and neighborhood & it's outstanding (but, I really think I went during the summer as I don't remember Co-eds & lots of action); Houston - a drive by - my client owns 3 complexes near. Memphis - been to the city & never thought about going to the campus. Tulsa - never. Greenville, NC - never (but I have a client with a project there).

Summarize? These are all big dynamic exciting schools (excepting Tulsa) with capacity to be better in Athletics. Piss & Moan ... but none of these are POOR prospects. And, I think we are often running down OUR UConn when we really crap on the others. But ... I understand the nature of our predicament.

Reaction Score

1. Temple
2. ECU - went to game in Greenville this year
3. Annapolis - Have been to Army Navy Game
4. USF - Not Campus but attended UCONN game in Tampa
5. Tulane - went to Tulane game in New Orleans this year
6. UCF - been to very spread out campus in Orlando

I have been to Dallas, Houston, Tulsa, Cincinnati, and Memphis but never to their campus's.

One thing about the American that is true is they have the best cities of any conference in America. Now if the AAC could only get a better TV deal!

Reaction Score
I am in real estate - Student Housing development actually. And, this is so far from the truth that I have to JUMP up.

Thanks. I have not spent any serious time in Philly (getting stuck at the airport numerous times does not count) outside of 1 business trip, where I managed to catch a Temple hoops game. I was told the subway back and forth to Temple while there is a game should not be an issue; but, was warned about going further north towards to medical school. The campus area looked like a typical urban campus; but, it was dark, could not really see around the edges. As for Drexel, have not spent any time there, just near by at the Zoo. Was told the neighborhood where the Zoo is not great and back when I was at UConn, I heard some bad stories form a guy I knew who went to Drexel. I do hope it has improved. I actually spent a lot of time at Northeastern in Boston as met my future wife while she was at school there. It has changed a lot, especially with several new dorms being built and it is nice. That said, it is still an urban campus, unlike BC, and has urban problems, such as when someone did a smash & grab at her apartment. The bad stuff in Boston is down in Mattapan and Blue Hills; but, there has always been safety issues on Northeastern's campus where the Ruggles T station is as there are a pair of projects there, too.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Thanks. I have not spent any serious time in Philly (getting stuck at the airport numerous times does not count) outside of 1 business trip, where I managed to catch a Temple hoops game. I was told the subway back and forth to Temple while there is a game should not be an issue; but, was warned about going further north towards to medical school. The campus area looked like a typical urban campus; but, it was dark, could not really see around the edges. As for Drexel, have not spent any time there, just near by at the Zoo. Was told the neighborhood where the Zoo is not great and back when I was at UConn, I heard some bad stories form a guy I knew who went to Drexel. I do hope it has improved. I actually spent a lot of time at Northeastern in Boston as met my future wife while she was at school there. It has changed a lot, especially with several new dorms being built and it is nice. That said, it is still an urban campus, unlike BC, and has urban problems, such as when someone did a smash & grab at her apartment. The bad stuff in Boston is down in Mattapan and Blue Hills; but, there has always been safety issues on Northeastern's campus where the Ruggles T station is as there are a pair of projects there, too.

When I toured Penn a while back, I got a glimpse at Drexel's campus. Looked fine and considerably more modern than I assumed it would.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I have not spent any serious time in Philly (getting stuck at the airport numerous times does not count) outside of 1 business trip, where I managed to catch a Temple hoops game. I was told the subway back and forth to Temple while there is a game should not be an issue; but, was warned about going further north towards to medical school. The campus area looked like a typical urban campus; but, it was dark, could not really see around the edges.

Temple/Drexel/UPenn are like any other urban campuses... You just need to know where the DMZ is and where to avoid and when.

At Temple they are buying as much property as possible between the northern part of campus and the southern part of the medical campus to close the gap a bit. Not much different than what Yale has done in New Haven,

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
My disclaimer is that I have not lived in Philly since 2002. I worked in North Philly and lived in NE Philly, spent plenty of time around the Temple campus and had friends who went there. It is a ROUGH area. You are literally a block or two away from extreme urban blight. The bad elements in the area stay away from campus but it was far from safe at night and the public transportation around it had some sketchy characters. Drexel and UPenn have nice campuses - but walk a block or two in the wrong direction and it's a different world.

I am also a Northeastern grad who took night classes and walked past the Ruggles T stop every day I was on campus. I don't think Northeastern is even close to UPenn, Drexel or Temple.

Reaction Score
Temple's campus is dangerous as hell about 100ft in any direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member