A true big man coach | The Boneyard

A true big man coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's find the prostitute that got Clyde Vaughn fired and string her up. We haven't been a good rebounding team since he left the staff.

And we haven't had a real big man coaching our big men since. Our tallest dude is Freeman who is more of a big wing, who played some power forward. Warrior. But not a true big man. If we want to rebound. We should hire someone who knows how to rebound. We haven't had someone like that on the coaching staff for years.

Yes we have won NCs in that time. But that is because of our guards. If we want to solve the rebounding problem that has haunted us for years, we need to address it on the coaching staff,

Reaction Score
Let's find the prostitute that got Clyde Vaughn fired and string her up. We haven't been a good rebounding team since he left the staff.

And we haven't had a real big man coaching our big men since. Our tallest dude is Freeman who is more of a big wing, who played some power forward. Warrior. But not a true big man. If we want to rebound. We should hire someone who knows how to rebound. We haven't had someone like that on the coaching staff for years.

Yes we have won NCs in that time. But that is because of our guards. If we want to solve the rebounding problem that has haunted us for years, we need to address it on the coaching staff,

hahaha wow! There's already thread on this ridiculous topic. Again this is so stupid it's unbelievable. Check out the staffs across the country and let me know all the good rebounding teams then tell me how TALL their big mans coach is? By the way Clyde was 6'3 1/2" he just knew how to play back in the day and he was good but he wasn't the only reason. He had big guys who were skilled and smart.. Our guys just suck get it thorough the thick skulls here. They can't rebound because they are not very good! Geez let's get real.

Reaction Score
hahaha wow! There's already thread on this ridiculous topic. Again this is so stupid it's unbelievable. Check out the staffs across the country and let me know all the good rebounding teams then tell me how TALL their big mans coach is? By the way Clyde was 6'3 1/2" he just knew how to play back in the day and he was good but he wasn't the only reason. He had big guys who were skilled and smart.. Our guys just suck get it thorough the thick skulls here. They can't rebound because they are not very good! Geez let's get real.

Clyde was a 6-4 small forward from a time when there were 6-6, 6-7 centers.

So your theory our rebounding got worse after Vaughn because our players aren't good. That no coaching can help. Interesting.

There's a simple way to test your theory, get a big man coach and if the team improves, you're wrong. Or we could just keep doing hat we're doing.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I have been preaching this for years now. Clyde recruited many of these bigs - they trusted him to teach him the ropes. He was more like 6-5 but a tank.

Reaction Score
We need a "guard" coach while youre at it. Rebounding isn't even the issue dudes can't score.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Our bigs are as soft as Charmin. If the NCAA would allow it they could all appear in a toilet paper commercial on TV. God help us when we face teams with imposing front lines that can play. We just got manhandled and pushed around by a team full of smaller guys.

Reaction Score
Clyde was a 6-4 small forward from a time when there were 6-6, 6-7 centers.

So your theory our rebounding got worse after Vaughn because our players aren't good. That no coaching can help. Interesting.

There's a simple way to test your theory, get a big man coach and if the team improves, you're wrong. Or we could just keep doing hat we're doing.

Don't need to because you're wrong. The simple answer is our bigs aren't good no one could coach Brimah to be good NOONE! If you can't see that then you know little about the game.

Reaction Score
I mean wait I should rephrase this because I'm guessing we don't know it we need a big mans coach because we don't have big men capable to allow us a sound opinion. So it's very possible we do need one but to make a statement like that based on what we have for the 2 4year guys can't be accurate. But it could very well be that we do need one but we need smart, skilled big guys way more than a coach that's a definite.

Reaction Score
So having a taller coach will improve the rebounding? This is the first time that I have heard that physical size is a factor in coaching ability. Maybe the should start listing the coaches heights and weights on the roster. I have always been under the opinion that most of player improvement comes from the players willingness to improve and put in the hard work more than the coaching itself.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Our bigs are as soft as Charmin. If the NCAA would allow it they could all appear in a toilet paper commercial on TV. God help us when we face teams with imposing front lines that can play. We just got manhandled and pushed around by a team full of smaller guys.

The commercial could show Brimah swatting away rolls of Northern and Cottonelle, Enoch trying to Tyler Phommachanh houses but the rolls dropping before they could hit their target, Durham being too slow to get away from Mr. Whipple after squeezing the Charmin, and Facey standing around watching it all.

Reaction Score
You need to be tall enough but something is missing this rebounding problem has been around for a while and doesn't get better , that's actually hard to do when you do the same thing every day in practice and not get better especially after a few years now . How about some TENACITY on the boards let's start with that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You need to be tall enough but something is missing this rebounding problem has been around for a while and doesn't get better , that's actually hard to do when you do the same thing every day in practice and not get better especially after a few years now . How about some TENACITY on the boards let's start with that.
Jeff Adrien was the last legit rebounder we had. Ever since he left it's been a string of project 7 footers.

Reaction Score

A coach can teach tenacity but can't go out there and do it. We have a couple guys who have zero tenacity and close to zero understanding of where to be when the ball goes up, I mean positioning yourself should be A1 for Brimah they don't throw him the ball right? So his only thought should be to figure out how he's going to beat his guy to the position required to get an offensive rebound right? I mean 6'10" long as hell arms he should be able to clean up on the offensive boards especially, I mean clean up with any brains and tenacity. This has nothing to do with a "big mans coach"! Facey on the defensive end is always out of position in the scheme and finds himself looking for position too late therefore also not good on the D end. he's the opposite throughout his career on the O end of rebounding though because he doesn't expect the ball so he's already looking to beat people to the rim to rebound and actually has always been decent there.

Reaction Score
Jeff Adrien was the last legit rebounder we had. Ever since he left it's been a string of project 7 footers.

Yep this^^^^. Need solid skilled guys to be a good big mans coach. Show me Clydes players and I will show you a good big mans coach, reasons were smart/teachable and skilled kids who hit it hard.

Reaction Score
Frustrating game in many ways for them , for us . Had bad vibes early seeing the game slip away. A form of basketball hell .

Reaction Score

Not true. Drummond and Orihaki were good rebounders. The problem is the lack of big man talent on the roster and the way they are used. Since Ollie has been here, we have recruited Facey, Brimah, Lubin, and Enoch. Only Facey and Enoch were top 100 recruits.

Brimah is not a good rebounder, but he plays because of shot blocking. Facey is a much better rebounder than Brimah, but he doesn't play as much. This team needs rebounding and I would play Facey over Brimah. Hard to tell if Enoch is a good rebounder.

Here are the rebounds per 40 minutes stats over the past 3 years:

Brimah: 7.5, 6.7, 8.8

Facey: 13.3, 9.7, 11.3

Also, Brimah scores off of easy dunks that the guards set up for him. Facey scores off of put backs. I think UConn needs more toughness inside and I think Facey is the tougher player.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I have been preaching this for years now. Clyde recruited many of these bigs - they trusted him to teach him the ropes. He was more like 6-5 but a tank.
But it could very well be that we do need one but we need smart, skilled big guys way more than a coach that's a definite.

Clyde was at UCONN for only two years!!!! He did not recruit 'many of these bigs'. A few yes.

In the last 25 years or so, only one man, for a glorious two year stretch, could truly get it done in the post. The other 23+ years, we were foooked. /s

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Clyde was at UCONN for only two years!!!! He did not recruit 'many of these bigs'. A few yes.

In the last 25 years or so, only one man, for a glorious two year stretch, could truly get it done in the post. The other 23+ years, we were foooked. /s

The "Emeka Years" ..... He was a miracle at UConn..... a great, great college player. I thought we would never see his like again at UConn at center and I'm still waiting.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
UConn was a +6 with Brimah on the floor yesterday and a -15 with him off.

I'm not sure how much data we need before people realize we are better with him playing. Emeka Okafor is not on the bench.
He was more effective in the second half, to an extent. If we compare him to how Enoch did, he was great. I think that Amida needs to focus on making better decisions and just playing some solid basketball. He was often moved nearly out of bounds by the lumberjack guy from Wagner if the first half. I'm not blaming him in the sense that he just can't get down lower and hold his position. He is sort of spindly legged and can be awesome when able to move freely, but can't seem to be effective with contact.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
UConn was a +6 with Brimah on the floor yesterday and a -15 with him off.

I'm not sure how much data we need before people realize we are better with him playing. Emeka Okafor is not on the bench.

Right now, posters are calling for 6'7 Larrier at the 4 and 6'7 Mamadou at the 5. That's where were at right now. haha

Reaction Score
Drummon because of his sheer athleticism has been out only successful NBA big man, Okafor, probably because of his back didn't pan out

Hilton Armstrong
Josh Noon
Hasheem Thabeet
Jeff Adrian, probably because he was undersized

Most of them were first round picks and non panned out, and my guess is Brimah will be a late second round pick and I don't know how he'll do, but it's obvious that we can develop big men. I don't know why Miller is still around, KO must know a few guys that can coach big men. This is just unacceptable for a program of this caliber.

Two guys stand out, Cliffy and Voshkul, and Jake from a journey mans perspective, not stat wise, that's it. Something's got to change, and soon

Reaction Score
Drummon because of his sheer athleticism has been out only successful NBA big man, Okafor, probably because of his back didn't pan out

Hilton Armstrong
Josh Noon
Hasheem Thabeet
Jeff Adrian, probably because he was undersized

Most of them were first round picks and non panned out, and my guess is Brimah will be a late second round pick and I don't know how he'll do, but it's obvious that we can develop big men. I don't know why Miller is still around, KO must know a few guys that can coach big men. This is just unacceptable for a program of this caliber.

Two guys stand out, Cliffy and Voshkul, and Jake from a journey mans perspective, not stat wise, that's it. Something's got to change, and soon

Hilton - Smarter, stronger, tougher by his senior year
Boone - Much smarter as a freshman he was a huge impact and hadn't been coached by a "big mans coach" lol, yet even so proven he was leaps and bounds smarter.
Thabeet - Was as good or better as brimah is now as a freshman. His numbers got better every year and was a great college player by his jr year.
Jeff - undersized as undersized can get, huge heart and tenacity/will to go with strength. One of the toughest to wear the uni for 4 years

I could have been a good big mans coach with these guys. They understood the game, this guy doesn't nor does Facey. Great kids, smart in the classroom and good Huskies. Every guy you mention above played on a team which these guys would be 8-15 minutes a game guy at best off the bench if they were on those teams. They wouldn't be starting they wouldn't be in at impact times. Does anyone understand a big mans coach or whatever, is not a magician and these guys need David Blaine to suddenly make them do the things we want and expect them to do after 3 plus years. It's not happening, Glen and KO are stuck with "back ups" starting. Damn we need better, smarter players, impact front court guys to have a "good big mans coach". Let's erase the coaching here, over 3 years later they do the same damn thing and that's on them NO ONE else. I feel bad for Glen Miller that some of us are so ignorant to blame him for this debacle of a senior class, I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefty92

Top Bottom