A suggestion for the NCAA. Do as the NFL has. . . | The Boneyard

A suggestion for the NCAA. Do as the NFL has. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . done and name the WCBB NC trophy after its greatest coach.

The NFL awards the Lombardi Trophy to its Super Bowl Champion, so it is perfectly logical to create (after he retires with a dozen or more NC's) the Auriemma Trophy for the WCBB Champions.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

The NFL awards the Lombardi Trophy to its Super Bowl Champion, so it is perfectly logical to create (after he retires with a dozen or more NC's) the Auriemma Trophy for the WCBB Champions.
Have to wait for him to retire.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but The World Professional Football Championship trophy was not renamed in memory of Vince Lombardi until 1970. Coach Auriemma would have to go a slight bit farther than retire. I don't think you want that just yet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Words can't express how much I like this idea. I can't see it happening since Geno is viewed as a very skilled interloper in a lot WCBB circles.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Bottom line is that Geno deserves to have something or some things named in his honor once he retires. He'll have done the unprecedented, and anything named after him should serve as the gold standard for whatever an honor or trophy in question is for.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

I stated that in the OP. There are ample precedence for honoring living people (e.g. concert halls, arenas, bb practice facilities, streets, aircraft carriers, etc.), so retirement should be the sole criterion (plus, of course, extraordinary accomplishment).

As I foresee it, about five years from now (and three or four NC's one gold medal) an elaborate retirement ceremony will be staged for both Geno and Chris. I would also expect that an announcement would be made that Jenn Rizzotti will succeed Geno as Head Coach, She promoted to Associate Head Coach, and (TBA) hired to replace Shea.

Pure speculation. No inside information.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
How about the Summit/Auriemma Trophy?

Is the men's trophy called the Wooden Trophy?

Husky25

Reaction Score
How about the Summit/Auriemma Trophy?

Is the men's trophy called the Wooden Trophy?
No. The POY for both Men and Women receive the Wooden Award, but the championship trophy is not named after him, and nor should it be, IMO. If you start naming the National title after prominent figures, then it opens Pandora's box and every NCAA sponsored sport will have to have their trophy named in honor or memoriam of someone. That can get messy.

Plus the NCAA would probably just find some loophole and call every trophy the Emmert Award. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No. The POY for both Men and Women receive the Wooden Award, but the championship trophy is not named after him, and nor should it be, IMO. If you start naming the National title after prominent figures, then it opens Pandora's box and every NCAA sponsored sport will have to have their trophy named in honor or memoriam of someone. That can get messy.

Plus the NCAA would probably just find some loophole and call every trophy the Emmert Award. :rolleyes:
In football the NCAA trophy is totally commercialized. Right now it's the Dr. Pepper Trophy. For several years it was the Sears Trophy.

Husky25

Reaction Score
In football the NCAA trophy is totally commercialized. Right now it's the Dr. Pepper Trophy. For several years it was the Sears Trophy.
The college football championship for the FBS level (whether it's called the Associated Press, Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance, Bowl Championship Series, or College Football Playoff) is not presented by the NCAA. It's under a different governing body.

The national champs at the FCS, Div. II, and Div. III levels all get a similar trophy to UConn's 14 basketball trophies (among other similar awards for various other sports).

Reaction Score
they probably would name it after Pat, if they named it the Summit trophy I think I would puke.

Reaction Score
they probably would name it after Pat, if they named it the Summit trophy I think I would puke.
well that may be the only way they can convince Geno to stop winning the award :)

Reaction Score

Until the world of WBB catches up with Uconn or the realization of what Christine Dailey and Geno have given to the sport--no National award I feel. I think it would suffice that 5 years after the dynamic duo retire the Boneyard et al will donate to Uconn, to replace the dog statue, a statue of Christine and Geno with caption stating---Greatest coaching combination in the history of WBB!! I can wait another 20 or so years for that to happen..

Reaction Score

I Know what---we'll form a committee in New Hampshire, and call ourselves the NH Coaches association, we'll call it the Geno award and present it to him every year.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I stated that in the OP. There are ample precedence for honoring living people (e.g. concert halls, arenas, bb practice facilities, streets, aircraft carriers, etc.), so retirement should be the sole criterion (plus, of course, extraordinary accomplishment).

Ahem.

'There are ample precedents...'

Or, more commonly, 'There is ample precedent...'

:)

Reaction Score
Ahem.

And there are ample Presidents who set the precedents unless we are legal --then aggravated usage then SOMETIMES that sets the Presidents precedents.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Ahem.

Good catch. Thanks.
bth_surrender.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics