A quote from DS before the game | The Boneyard

A quote from DS before the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"I think Connecticut is a well-oiled offensive machine, they just flow. Then you look at us, we want to create disruption in their flow, and we do a really good job at making sure we make it really hard for you to catch the ball, for you to shoot the ball, and for you to pass the ball. So we have to put them under duress, because they have some great players who are skillful, like no other. For us, I look at us as a blue collar type of team where whatever's needed in the moment, we can provide that. I don't know if Connecticut can play ugly basketball, because they play it like the game should be played," said Staley.

Reaction Score
I'd say that's a very realistic assessment of the job they needed to do. However, very rarely are even the very best teams able to do it.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Sounds like CViv from the old days, both in the content and the voice. But what she says is true, even if it's unfortunate in a couple of ways. Teams cannot play "beautiful basketball" at the level that UConn does. When UConn is on the top of its game, the only way with the exception of Baylor recently for opponents to stay close is be tough (verging on to other nastier words) and disruptive and try to ugly the game. It was excruciating to watch some of those old Rutgers games, but some coaches will say, whatever it takes to keep it close and maybe pull out a win is the way to go. Others may look more long term and look for strategies that will help them more in the long run.

Reaction Score
Sounds like CViv from the old days, both in the content and the voice. But what she says is true, even if it's unfortunate in a couple of ways. Teams cannot play "beautiful basketball" at the level that UConn does. When UConn is on the top of its game, the only way with the exception of Baylor recently for opponents to stay close is be tough (verging on to other nastier words) and disruptive and try to ugly the game. It was excruciating to watch some of those old Rutgers games, but some coaches will say, whatever it takes to keep it close and maybe pull out a win is the way to go. Others may look more long term and look for strategies that will help them more in the long run.

Boston College used to try the same thing. They played some ugly ugly games against UConn back in the day.

Reaction Score
The old days of the BE looked more like the WWF. Can't beat 'em, so might as well beat 'em. RU, SU, ND, BC came in knowing the couldn't play hoops nose-to-nose with us, so tested the theory that our players were soft and would fold when roughed up.

There was little of that the other night, although Mitchell was had a few chippie plays and Stewie took a licking but kept on ticking.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our kids are chippier than we like to admit. Steph was in particular. Kaleena showed a little of that in the last game with power step through before the 3. Note that I said chippy and not dirty. Some opponents like to protray the girls as soft because that suggests vulnerability. Geno and Chris are both pretty tough and their charactor flows through to team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom