A Question on Today's Vote | The Boneyard

A Question on Today's Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Has anyone heard how UConn is preparing to vote? It sounds like the no's are definitely WVU and Louisville...2 more would kill the conference. Where do we and Rutgers fall on this? I have to imagine the phone lines are lighting up right now.

Reaction Score
Has anyone heard how UConn is preparing to vote? It sounds like the no's are definitely WVU and Louisville...2 more would kill the conference. Where do we and Rutgers fall on this? I have to imagine the phone lines are lighting up right now.

A no vote today does not "kill the conference." A no vote today postpones the moment at which we will learn whether or not the conference will move forward or be put to death for football. Boise and UCF and Navy aren't going anywhere over the next, say, two months if it takes that amount of time for things to settle down.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
BL - right on as usual, there was a bit of hyperbole going on there.

Today, IMO, will do much to flush out the current intentions of the BE institutions. I think it is fair to say that if we vote 'yes' on increasing the exit fees then we do not have much hope for leaving the BE in the near future. Conversely, those that vote no must think they are pretty close to gettting an invite from the Big XII, ACC or SEC.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If Uconn, Rutgers, Louisville, UWV and Cinncy vote no, then something is in the wind.

Then it will be interesting to see the reaction of the BB only schools.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
$10M will not slow down any of WVU, UL, UConn, RU from running to the door. This is pointless and I can't believe this is enough assurance for Navy, UCF, BSU to join. This sounds like stall on the part of, at least some, football schools. Oh yea - I'll sign up, just give me until Sunday.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if the 27 month waiting period is being waived.

Reaction Score
$10M will not slow down any of WVU, UL, UConn, RU from running to the door. This is pointless and I can't believe this is enough assurance for Navy, UCF, BSU to join. This sounds like stall on the part of, at least some, football schools. Oh yea - I'll sign up, just give me until Sunday.

It would make more sense to conclude that the change to $10M is a negotiated compromise between the existing football schools and the incoming football schools. but we'll see soon enough.

$10M is probably low enough that it doesn't stop anyone who wants to leave from leaving. Just makes it hurt a lot. Which is why UConn and WVU could vote for it. Frankly, if we start rebuilding with only having raised it that much, that's a great outcome for UConn.

Reaction Score
What that article tells me is (1) Marinatto couldn't get the votes for his punitive exit fee; (2) the basketball people had to back down a bit, because now it looks like a mega-expansion is back on the table; and (3) the vote to increase the exit fee has to be approved before the Big East is inviting anyone - or before anyone is considering joining - so that "invitations expected to go out next week" is contingent on getting the remaining football schools to sign off on the $10M exit fee.

We still don't know how things will play out with Louisville and WVU - that's why SMU and Houston are on hold. If Louisville and WVU bolt, that's when the Texas schools get invited.

Reaction Score
What that article tells me is (1) Marinatto couldn't get the votes for his punitive exit fee; (2) the basketball people had to back down a bit, because now it looks like a mega-expansion is back on the table; and (3) the vote to increase the exit fee has to be approved before the Big East is inviting anyone - or before anyone is considering joining - so that "invitations expected to go out next week" is contingent on getting the remaining football schools to sign off on the $10M exit fee.

We still don't know how things will play out with Louisville and WVU - that's why SMU and Houston are on hold. If Louisville and WVU bolt, that's when the Texas schools get invited.[/quot

I hope they aren't passing on the Texas schools for now. They are the best part of this deal for long term potential.[/quote]

Reaction Score
The conference gave the commissioner permission to expand to 12. Ten won't cut it for 2 reasons:
a: it would leave out Houston & SMU
b: 12 with a conference championship in N.Y.C. os a great bargaining chip going forward when it comes time to talk television contracts.

Reaction Score
The conference gave the commissioner permission to expand to 12. Ten won't cut it for 2 reasons:
b: 12 with a conference championship in N.Y.C. os a great bargaining chip going forward when it comes time to talk television contracts.
If you thought that the stadium in Jacksonville looked empty for some of the ACC championship games wait until you see anyplace in NYC in December for Cincy/USF game.

Reaction Score
I'm on board with a conference championship that rotates between Houston, Tampa and NYC for the snow bowl. Ratings.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Be careful about the permission to expand to twelve comment. While Marinatto had been given this permission, he was not given permission to discuss BE membership with any candidates or extend invitations without prior agreement from the conference presidents. Basically he had permission as long as he didn't actually do anything. Doing anything required further permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom