A Question About Coaching Strategy | The Boneyard

A Question About Coaching Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since the 3-Point Shot became a part of basketball, I have always been mystified by the following situation:

Team A has a 3 point lead with just a few seconds remaining in the game. Team B is taking the ball out of bounds. In my feeble mind, I would think that it might be wise to have a Team A player intentionally commit a 2-shot foul against a Team B player in order to preclude the possibility of a 3-point shot to tie the game. Throughout all my years of watching men’s and women’s basketball at all levels of play, I have never witnessed a coach utilizing this strategy, and I can’t understand why. I have witnessed Team B tying the game and going on to win in overtime under such circumstances, so could someone please explain to me why what to me is a very obvious strategy would not work?

Reaction Score
Since the 3-Point Shot became a part of basketball, I have always been mystified by the following situation:

Team A has a 3 point lead with just a few seconds remaining in the game. Team B is taking the ball out of bounds. In my feeble mind, I would think that it might be wise to have a Team A player intentionally commit a 2-shot foul against a Team B player in order to preclude the possibility of a 3-point shot to tie the game. Throughout all my years of watching men’s and women’s basketball at all levels of play, I have never witnessed a coach utilizing this strategy, and I can’t understand why. I have witnessed Team B tying the game and going on to win in overtime under such circumstances, so could someone please explain to me why what to me is a very obvious strategy would not work?
If there's less than 5 seconds left some coaches do it. The question becomes when to do it. The way UConn was shooting free throws last night had they fouled too early, Stanford fouls them back and who knows if they make them. There's also the possible foul on a 3 pt attemp.

Reaction Score
If there's less than 5 seconds left some coaches do it. The question becomes when to do it. The way UConn was shooting free throws last night had they fouled too early, Stanford fouls them back and who knows if they make them. There's also the possible foul on a 3 pt attemp.

Yes, those are two very good answers. The third is that it is not that uncommon for the team at the line to make the first FT, then intentionally miss the second (hard) and get a rebound and a shot to tie. They would only do this if there wasn't much time left. Otherwise they would do as you suggest, i.e. foul back and then come up court with another chance to tie - but maybe only needing a two this time.

Reaction Score
The best answer is that coaches are afraid the refs will call the foul in the act of shooting. In last night's game, that would have put a 97% free throw shooter on the line, and there is no question that if a UConn player started to foul her she would have immediately put the ball up to draw the shooting foul.

In last night's game, however, the mistake was made by Moriah Jefferson, who left a spotted up three-point shooter to double team a well covered running jump shot three shooter. That is as bad a defensive misplay as anyone can make; even in seventh grade AAU ball, a coach would have a heart attack over such a terrible play. Let's face it, not even Reggie Miller and Ray Allen are going to make a three-point shot without being squared to the basket in a stationary position.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
real mistake was dribbling the ball at the end of the game and not getting a shot up. showed tremendous lack of experience in the situation, or perhaps complete mental inattention. At least with 1.4 in 2nd half, good pass to Stewie, who tossed up a good shot which just fell short.

Reaction Score
real mistake was dribbling the ball at the end of the game and not getting a shot up. showed tremendous lack of experience in the situation, or perhaps complete mental inattention. At least with 1.4 in 2nd half, good pass to Stewie, who tossed up a good shot which just fell short.

And you have a play for making a basket from 80 feet with less than three seconds to go without a timeout? I'm sorry, that played no role whatsoever in the defeat, at least IMO.

Reaction Score

And you have a play for making a basket from 80 feet with less than three seconds to go without a timeout? I'm sorry, that played no role whatsoever in the defeat, at least IMO.

Reaction Score
The real mistake was that Stanford played a great game and UConn didn't. They'll get it straightened out by March.

Reaction Score
Thank you all for your prompt and informative replies. I really have never seen a coach ask a player to foul in this situation and have often wondered why. Now I know why. Still, I would be interested in seeing statistics, if there are any, regarding the percentages of the different possible outcomes in such a situation. Giving up a wide-open 3-point shot to anyone just doesn't seem like the best possible choice.

Reaction Score
Thank you all for your prompt and informative replies. I really have never seen a coach ask a player to foul in this situation and have often wondered why. Now I know why. Still, I would be interested in seeing statistics, if there are any, regarding the percentages of the different possible outcomes in such a situation. Giving up a wide-open 3-point shot to anyone just doesn't seem like the best possible choice.

Even with a wide open three point shot, the very best shooters are only going to make less than half of them. Add game pressure, late game fatigue, over thinking, and defenders to the equation, that percentage is going down. Statistically, a very good three point shooter is still more likely to miss the three point shot.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have seen that done (fouling before the shot to give them 2 free throws and take away the chance for a 3), but not frequently. It seems as if it would be a high percentage play. Geno commented that he was going back and forth in his own mind about whether he should have done that against Stanford.

He probably thought that he had their 3-point threats covered. He certainly had Bonnie Samuelson covered (that was probably what he emphasized), and Orrange would have been adequately covered if not for Moriah's misplay (which Geno also mentioned -- he attributed it to her trying to steal the pass).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom