A Potential Answer for our Guard Issue Next Year | The Boneyard

A Potential Answer for our Guard Issue Next Year

PvP

Reaction Score
I have previously cited our issue of only having 4 returning backcourt players with no freshman guards committed for next season.

I have a completely out of the box potential solution.

The number 3 player in the nation coming out of high school is a remarkably versatile and athletic "big" named Janiah Barker who is on record as being able to man any position from 1 through 5. She is 6'4" but can hit from the outside and would obviously be a major matchup problem.

She is only available because she just decommitted from Georgia after the Georgia coach who recruited her left to coach elsewhere.

Remember she would be the number 5 guard behind perhaps the best guard foursome in the country so really an insurance policy in case of injury or illness. And then the following year the issue goes away with Ashley Shade and KK Arnold coming to Storrs when Barker could become one of the "positionless" players that Geno loves.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Barker has made it pretty clear on social media that there is no chance of her coming to UConn.

AF18EE73-A5EA-45B1-AB9E-3D7BEA3D4B16.jpeg

Reaction Score
The number 3 player in the nation coming out of high school is a remarkably versatile and athletic "big" named Janiah Barker who is on record as being able to man any position from 1 through 5. She is 6'4" but can hit from the outside and would obviously be a major matchup problem.
There is no way she is a guard. I'm sure "she is on record" for being a guard but so was Wilson. And we heard all the stuff from Dawn that they will give her a shot at being a wing or guard or pg or whatever she wanted. But early on SC moved her to her natural strength. Plain and simple; Barker is an extremely talented PF at her best position. Maybe she can be a SF but she definitely can be a center. In some cases there is no difference between sg and sf- but in her case definitely vs her strength.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone transfer into UConn, for what is called "insurance policy".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

certainly not for the most playing time but to almost guarantee that they will reach a Final Four and if good enough play in it......
It would probably have to be a grad student or someone wanting that Covid year. Looking for a Masters. Not at a WNBA level, or trying to get to that level. Or just wants one more year of basketball before starting real life.

Like Charlie said, someone who wants a chance at a FF or NC.

Probably not a lot of them out there, but there may be one that wants UCONN and UCONN wants.

Reaction Score
certainly not for the most playing time but to almost guarantee that they will reach a Final Four and if good enough play in it......
So, you're saying there's a line outside Geno's door of transfers wanting to come here for the reason they could go to Final Four next season? If that's the case then I'm surprised Saylor and Mir didn't stay.

Reaction Score
I have previously cited our issue of only having 4 returning backcourt players with no freshman guards committed for next season.

I have a completely out of the box potential solution.

She is only available because she just decommitted from Georgia after the Georgia coach who recruited her left to coach elsewhere.

Remember she would be the number 5 guard behind perhaps the best guard foursome in the country so really an insurance policy in case of injury or illness. And then the following year the issue goes away with Ashley Shade and KK Arnold Arnold coming to Storrs when Barker could become one of the "positionless" players that Geno loves.
We’re losing Westbrook and CW, still have Paige, Azzi, Nika, and Caroline (who can play guard or forward). Don’t forget Aubrey, she is an excellent ball handler and is shorter than Caroline. There are several in the transfer portal already if Geno wants another guard. I think next year Geno plays two guards and Caroline at forward, and two Bigs. He could also play one guard, Caroline, Aubrey, Dorka or Edwards, and one of the freshman bigs or DeBerry or Piath. His problem next year is keeping all the big people happy. The guard issue is much less a problem in my view.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She's a Uconn hater, not gonna happen.
Also did not care for her antics at the High School, All Star Game . Looks for the camera and when run out of bounds, just sat there and did not get back into the play. Camera fishing again,

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I may be, no, I am biased, however if players are considering a transfer to UConn, it might be more about coaching, prepping them for the next level, and wanting to find a level of success that they may not be getting elsewhere. No knock on other coaches and/or programs, however if a program just reached its 14th FF berth, has 11 NC, and has players getting drafted #1 - Bird, Taurasi, Charles, Moore, Stewart, and that's not including the other 1st round picks, there might be something behind it all.

Amidst all the complaining and whining about UConn's media exposure, supposed bias in rankings, etc, there's a pretty good argument for how the program prepares players for the WNBA, overseas, jobs in broadcasting, jobs in both the WNBA and NBA, etc.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Close to home? A grad program they're really interested in? Fulfilling a childhood dream? Increasing their name recognition amongst international teams? Wanting to coach and learning from Geno and CD?

That’s a red flag in and of itself. Geno wouldn’t touch her with ten foot pole if she’s shooting her mouth off all over social media and bad mouthing another coach.
Not a red flag. She's didn't openly bad mouth the program, but she and the program aren't a good fit for one another and I think both sides recognize it. We wouldn't be bothered if one of our outgoing players responded to a comment on their social media saying they weren't going to Tennessee, would we? Nothing really to see there.

Reaction Score
So, you're saying there's a line outside Geno's door of transfers wanting to come here for the reason they could go to Final Four next season? If that's the case then I'm surprised Saylor and Mir didn't stay.
Little playing time available for either player.

Reaction Score
Close to home? A grad program they're really interested in? Fulfilling a childhood dream? Increasing their name recognition amongst international teams? Wanting to coach and learning from Geno and CD?

Not a red flag. She's didn't openly bad mouth the program, but she and the program aren't a good fit for one another and I think both sides recognize it. We wouldn't be bothered if one of our outgoing players responded to a comment on their social media saying they weren't going to Tennessee, would we? Nothing really to see there.
She has pretty openly pulled against UConn for a couple of years and has said "No way" when asked about UConn.

Reaction Score

Ok, but you better let Geno know it’s not a red flag.:rolleyes:

………………and name one outgoing UConn player who bad mouthed Geno or any other college coach and their program.

Reaction Score
no idea if there's a line or not but it only takes one good player to make it work........there's a big difference between a grad transfer or senior looking for one special season and a freshman or sophomore who sees four years coming off the bench in their future.....

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
She has pretty openly pulled against UConn for a couple of years and has said "No way" when asked about UConn.
Oh, I know. I just didn't have a decommitment to compare her to (I don't know much about Collier's decommitment -- I wasn't really following recruiting when that happened). Some programs and players aren't just good fits for one another, and that's life.

Ok, but you better let Geno know it’s not a red flag.:rolleyes:

………………and name one outgoing UConn player who bad mouthed Geno or any other college coach and their program.
But she didn't badmouth the program, she just said she isn't coming here. She's not an outgoing player. She's not an incoming player. She's not a player that UConn is considering, and she doesn't want to come to UConn. The conversation is over before anyone's camp is out there raising flags -- red or otherwise.

I love UConn, but the idea that every recruit in the country should be clamoring to come play for Geno is silly. His coaching style doesn't work with everyone, his team's playing style doesn't work with everyone, and the program's rules don't work with everyone. Just because a player doesn't fit Geno's mold doesn't mean they're lesser or problematic -- it just means they're not the right fit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To be part of what has been the best women’s basketball program for decades? To get the absolute best out of themselves? To experience playing in packed arenas with enthusiastic fans? To play at a university where women’s basketball isn’t an afterthought?
Etc…

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Little playing time available for either player.
no idea if there's a line or not but it only takes one good player to make it work........there's a big difference between a grad transfer or senior looking for one special season and a freshman or sophomore who sees four years coming off the bench in their future.....
To be part of what has been the best women’s basketball program for decades? To get the absolute best out of themselves? To experience playing impact arenas with enthusiastic fans? To play at a university women’s basketball isn’t an afterthought?
Etc…
Ok, I admit it hasn't been one of my best post. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom