A level of offensive ineptitude rarely seen. | The Boneyard

A level of offensive ineptitude rarely seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How many false starts --at home?

McCombs is the same as last year. Can't make anyone miss. Can't break tackles. But now he behind a worse offensive line.

Every coach in American rotates his running backs except P.

Steve Green had one of the worst games by an offensive lineman in a long time.

The rest of the line wasn't far behind.

Third and one was an impossible mission.

We never tried to change the tempo.

We never went to short quick passing game.

Apparently the first half went well enough we didn't need to make any adjustments.

Whitmer and the WRs showed no chemistry at all.

Whitmer kept forcing the ball.

Why did we abandon using Nick Williams as a runner?

The wildcat never went to the second option.

I could go on. But this is the worst performance by a Huskies offense in a long, long time. Against a defense that gave up big plays and 35 points last week.

The bottom line is the game plan sucked as bad as the execution. Awful.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Pretty much sums it up. Deleon needs to scrap the wildcat also. Two weeks in a row, it seems its only purpose has been to put the offense in unmanageable third down distance.

McCombs is solid, but im not enamored with him either. He is not really elusive, not really fast, and not really strong. Yet, he is our best playmaker on offense.

Whitmer did not play well, but I think the wild cat putting him in so many unmanageable down and distance situations is unfair. The oline got their asses handed to them today.

Reaction Score
This loss is 100 percent on Pasqualoni & DeLeone. The failure to be aggressive with the wind at our back in the first quarter, and not taking shots down the field, sent a VERY bad message to the offense.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well, I'll bite by disagreeing with your statement on McCombs. If McCombs doesn't make anyone miss, we don't score the touchdown today. Period. He shook the first defender and then got outside, picked up a very nice block by Griffin, and then raced down close to the 5. McCombs had a hard time showing you he can make people miss today because he ran up the middle almost every play, and our OL didn't push anyone back...

Reaction Score

McCombs is the same as last year. Can't make anyone miss. Can't break tackles. But now he behind a worse offensive line.

Apparently the first half went well enough we didn't need to make any adjustments.

I could go on. But this is the worst performance by a Huskies offense in a long, long time. Against a defense that gave up big plays and 35 points last week.

Not much of anything to disagree with here. After we gave up the touchdown I had to go for a walk because I felt there was a 0% chance of us coming back to score 10 points. The fact that we scored I see as a minor miracle.

Reaction Score
I can't pinpoint, other than Whitmer, what the problem was on O. I dvr'ed the game, will watch it early tomorrow morning and post a big write up. I am concerned about what I am going to see regarding the O Line.

The amount of false starts, a at home as you pointed out, is absolutely inexcusable.

That was an absolutely pathetic effort by the offense. The worst part was, the body language walking on the field. Hands on hips, looking down. DON'T ACCEPT IT!!!!! I am so steamed at the entire offense right now.

The defense should hold their heads up. They lost on a greatly placed pass. The offense continuously put them in bad situations, and they stood tall.

Reaction Score
Well, I'll bite by disagreeing with your statement on McCombs. If McCombs doesn't make anyone miss, we don't score the touchdown today. Period. He shook the first defender and then got outside, picked up a very nice block by Griffin, and then raced down close to the 5. McCombs had a hard time showing you he can make people miss today because he ran up the middle almost every play, and our OL didn't push anyone back...

McCombs isn't the problem. While I am sure we are going to see a ton of comments about playing DeLorenzo, Hippolite, Williams, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders . . . . etc., McCombs is our best player. We saw flashes of it, but there were a ton of plays where as soon as he took the handoff he was dropped. Has nothing to do with his size. We could have the Stay Puft Marshmellow man back there, and he would be tackled for a loss too. (excuse me, I am still a little buzzed).

Reaction Score
This loss is 100 percent on Pasqualoni & DeLeone. The failure to be aggressive with the wind at our back in the first quarter, and not taking shots down the field, sent a VERY bad message to the offense.

DeLeone makes coach P look bad I think coach is a great coach

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I don't mean to knock McCombs, but I don't think he is on the same level as Brown, Dixon or Todman. I think maybe mixing some carries in for Delorenzo would be beneficial to our running game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Disagree on McCombs. He is doing a better job of getting through the first bit of contact and getting that extra 1-2 yards falling forward at the end of his runs.

Agree with everything else.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to knock McCombs, but I don't think he is on the same level as Brown, Dixon or Todman. I think maybe mixing some carries in for Delorenzo would be beneficial to our running game.

I agree, I think both Max and Joe deserves a shot too they both had a great off season... I barely heard anything on McCombs during off season practices.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

My one beef with what you wrote, the game plan was worse.

At one point, I'm sitting behind the D seeing those two huge guys on the inside of the NC State D-line and thinking "what are we going to with those guys?" But I'm telling myself Deleone has a plan. We had no push against UMass. We had no push on short yardage early. But those plays were just the set-up for this play right here - 2nd and 1. Right? We finally have some Mo. I don't know what's coming, but it's going to be good. He calls a run right into those big guys. Huh? No problem, he's got a good one here. Same call. Same result. That's literally insane. Our line has no push. Is that their fault? Don't you factor that into the playcalls. Is it execution when they are asked to do something they can't do? I am off the DeLeone bandwagon.

Reaction Score
Disagree on McCombs. He is doing a better job of getting through the first bit of contact and getting that extra 1-2 yards falling forward at the end of his runs.

Agree with everything else.

You're right getting through the first bit of contact and getting that extra "1-2 yards" at 5'7 166lbs, but how many more yards may we get with Max and Joe running the rock? Williams is the fastest back we have and he's 5'11 205 I say give them a shot too! I'm tired of seeing McCombs get 1-2 yards up the middle

Reaction Score
Bottom line..the offensive line lost the game today. Procedure calls, letting NC St guys get to Whitmer, not moving the pile backwards on 3rd and 1. They clean up that stuff and we're 12-1.

Reaction Score
Bottom line..the offensive line lost the game today. Procedure calls, letting NC St guys get to Whitmer, not moving the pile backwards on 3rd and 1. They clean up that stuff and we're 12-1.

Who coaches the offensive line? DeLeone!

Reaction Score

Yup... I saw coach P whiff on at least a dozen blocks.

Reaction Score
So medic if only the players had blocked correctly we would have scored 50? How Edsallish

Reaction Score
Yeah. Pretty much sums it up. Deleon needs to scrap the wildcat also. Two weeks in a row, it seems its only purpose has been to put the offense in unmanageable third down distance.

McCombs is solid, but im not enamored with him either. He is not really elusive, not really fast, and not really strong. Yet, he is our best playmaker on offense.

Whitmer did not play well, but I think the wild cat putting him in so many unmanageable down and distance situations is unfair. The oline got their asses handed to them today.

Does anyone think we have a moment to spare during the practice week to undulge in preparation for the wildcat instead of getting our offense and new quarterback fully prepared? There are no surprises for the defense when your only options are run left/run right/maybe fumble. Then throw the new guy back in to fix it. Then for goodness sakes we left Whit in on 4th down for a QB sneak when the wildcat trots on for 2nd and ten?

We have lots to work on and this non-productive and disruptive endeavor just isn't worth spending one more ounce of brainpower on. The thrill is gone. Please Stop!

Reaction Score
And agreed not McCombs fault but please rotate some backs in. Please change tempo. Same lateral pass twice in a row?

Reaction Score
And agreed not McCombs fault but please rotate some backs in. Please change tempo. Same lateral pass twice in a row?

On a couple false start penalties it looked like Deleone ran the same exact play before the penalty. I was like, "What is this, Amateur Hour?"

Reaction Score
This isnt jus bad scheme, it runs much deeper. The whole offense looked complete disorganized.

I think it was the second to last play on offense, 4th and 9 I believe. We didn't even have the right players on the field until the last second. This was after a timeout. Simply inexcusable.

Reaction Score
On a couple false start penalties it looked like Deleone ran the same exact play before the penalty. I was like, "What is this, Amateur Hour?"

Yeah, I noticed that on the Williams flanker screen, the second was a loss. I've never called a play, but come on, the 1st one got yardage only by a good juke by Williams and the 2nd was so covered I was afraid the tackler was going to kill Williams.

Reaction Score
So medic if only the players had blocked correctly we would have scored 50? How Edsallish

Nope - but more than 6.

What the heck is "Edallish"? Poor execution - then yeah I guess it was. You said 100% on PP and GD. If it's the buck stops here metality - I agree. So I guess the poor attendance is 100% on the fans then.

Reaction Score

You're not knocking him, due to his size, he'll never be like Brown, Dixon or Todman, but when he's done at Uconn he will be special, in the same way. He's a great talent, that in my opinion needs to have a complimentary RB in the game, a big bruiser type back to help wear down the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom