A key to UCONN nat'l title? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A key to UCONN nat'l title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"I've talked in the past about our teams often being weak on challenging the three-point shot. Though I think the team has been better at that this year than they have been historically

A parting shot before you pull the hole in over yourself -

NCAA 3 pt defense ranking
2013 - 82nd
2012 - 5th
2011 - 23rd
2010 - 2nd
That ranking is very deceiving. Through the first six or seven games, they were terrible. Mainly because of the Purdue and Colgate games, back to back. 20-39.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It looked to me in yesterdays game we have a receipe for a National Championship. Granted Idaho was of lesser talent then UConn however we looked sharp and crisp and looked to gain confidence as the game went on. I was very pleased to see Bria with an arch on her shot. MoJeff and Tuck looked very confident and comfortable out there. KML LOL what more can you say. She is becoming a tremendous scorer. Monday will tell us alot about this team. Most importantly can we maintain and improve on yesterdays game. Breanna looked to have a break out game againest ND in the BE finals, Bria MoJeff Kiah and Tuck looked great yesterday. If this is a sign of whats to come we could win it all firing on all cylinders. The one BIG question? Can we stay healthly. We've had more then our share of the flu and injuries. It appears the layout helped alot.

Where Id like to see Breanna Kia and Morgan on defense. Id like to see them come out when players are knocking down outside shots much like McBride and dropping down low when players like Diggins are penetrating. I think we might see that againest a team like Maryland if they make it to Bridgeport next weekend.

It really looked like in the second half of the BE championship game and yesterday that this team has made the turn. We looked to be firing on all cylinders. I am really excited to see what Monday nite brings. I think its finally coming together just in time.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
That ranking is very deceiving. Through the first six or seven games, they were terrible. Mainly because of the Purdue and Colgate games, back to back. 20-39.

The teams 3 pt defense wasn't terrible through the first 6 games. It was only the 2 games you cited. The 4 previous games the 3 pt defense was 27%. Incidentally, the last 6 games the 3 pt defense was 27% close to their ranking average. Of course that is deceptive because of the 1-12 performance by ND.

My point - the ranking isn't deceiving at all. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Sorry, Gents. No plans here to crawl into anything or pull dirt over anything....though you've sure provided ample dirt should i change my mind. Glad to brighten your day by serving as a foil for your always evident brilliance; anytime I can bring such delight to some of you good old boys on a glorious Sunday morning, I'm glad to be here for ya.
But am thinking it must be about time for a couple of you to don your raiments, bound up that stairway, and enlighted us with The Word from on high...you know, Brotherhood and such? Never a bad theme even on The Boneyard, though I guess, when you think about it, we are coming up a day which commemorates something quite the opposite. (By the way, ICE, I guess some of the other folks not in your circle of intimates, must have shown alot more interest and concern over your malady and rehab in PM messages than I back when you were down physically...you seem to have had a hammer out for me for quite some time now.)
Will say that I was very surprised by those stats of past several years. Really felt as if we'd been improving over time on challenging the three. But not having the benefit of nearly devine knowledge, I am used to making the occasional (very occasional, of course) mistake. Continue to think that it could prove important to us in key games for Dolson to be more aggressive in that regard. Some of us were watching replay of Idaho game last night, and there was one play in particular when one of our Bigs just ROARED out along the baselike to seriously disrupt a three (think it was Stokes)....that's the edge I'm looking for in that regard. In this game, it wasn't crucial - against a ND, it might well be.
DOGGY - thanks for the boost and the "lifeline"...appreciated! ;) Stay well.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Eliminating the Colgate/Purdue stats puts UConn around 36th in 3 pt defense. I was surprised that those two games had that much impact so in that respect you are right.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Our three point, also, took a hit because of our game plan against certain teams when we CHOSE to leave the three point line unguarded because teams shot terrible from the line and then immediately executed CD first law.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The teams 3 pt defense wasn't terrible through the first 6 games. It was only the 2 games you cited. The 4 previous games the 3 pt defense was 27%. Incidentally, the last 6 games the 3 pt defense was 27% close to their ranking average. Of course that is deceptive because of the 1-12 performance by ND.

My point - the ranking isn't deceiving at all. It is what it is.

Geeze, nitpick, why don't you. Just pointing out they are a better 3 point defensive team than the numbers showed after 6 games. I also mentioned those 2 games.

They are much more likely to hold a team to under 25% than over 27%.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Geeze, nitpick, why don't you. Just pointing out they are a better 3 point defensive team than the numbers showed after 6 games. I also mentioned those 2 games.

They are much more likely to hold a team to under 25% than over 27%.

Geez, keep up with the thread. I admitted that you were right about the impact those two games had on the ranking. That's all you're gonna' get.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Actually you are incorrect. Several times Moriah would make a mistake and she'd get yanked. I've never heard Geno make a single comment the entire year that Moriah didn't bring it to practice ever day.
There are turnovers and then there are turnovers. Meg Culmo has commented on good vs bad turnovers. If a player is being aggressive but just loses her handle or passes the ball with too much zip, Geno will grimace but not complain. But standing there with no idea what to do next, or throwing the ball into a crowd of defenders - or to the coach on the sideline with absolutely no defensive pressure - will earn a player a seat on the bench.

Geno has actually commented on Moriah's turnovers. He said in Jan-Feb (don't remember exactly) that she could be too passive and indecisive with the ball. For a program that depends so much on its point guard for direction, emotion and energy (think Jen, Rita, Sue, Renee...) having a kid that's unsure of herself at key points in the game is not going to help the team. Nor would throwing her to the wolves help the player's confidence. I know people wanted Geno to "season" Moriah by having her play more but it might have been counterproductive in the long run. If Moriah played 20 really bad minutes against an opponent, she would only learn that she's not ready to play at this level and it might affect her confidence going forward.

One of Geno's greatest gifts as a coach is his knowing his players as people. He knows who can take the sarcasm and verbal jabs and who needs a more paternal approach. If he thinks Moriah's confidence would suffer if she played at a certain point in the season or against a certain opponent, then he wouldn't play her. And it's not like he sits her and she doesn't know why. Shea, CD or Geno himself will tell her why and what she needs to do to avoid the benching. It's not a punishment - it's a learning experience.

Here's a link to an article where Kelly talks about Moriah's earlier-in-the-season tendency to hesitate.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Good TOs are, generally, deadball TOs and not TOs leaving the ball in the hands of the opponent for a breakaway.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Ice - There are no good turnovers. Some just suck less than others.

While I agree that Auriemma knows best how to bring along players, I think there were enough meaningless cupcake games where Jefferson could have gotten a little more trial by fire experience.

What I suspect is that this is another example of the impact of Banks' injury. Why push Jefferson too hard when Banks was going to be the "next off the bench" guard?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Clearly the preference is to not have a TO, HOWEVER, if you do have a TO a deadball TO is what you want and not one leading to a quick cheap basket. It is all relative.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One of Geno's greatest gifts as a coach is his knowing his players as people. He knows who can take the sarcasm and verbal jabs and who needs a more paternal approach. If he thinks Moriah's confidence would suffer if she played at a certain point in the season or against a certain opponent, then he wouldn't play her. And it's not like he sits her and she doesn't know why. Shea, CD or Geno himself will tell her why and what she needs to do to avoid the benching. It's not a punishment - it's a learning experience.

This.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Clearly the preference is to not have a TO, HOWEVER, if you do have a TO a deadball TO is what you want and not one leading to a quick cheap basket. It is all relative.

I should have added a wise ass thingy at the end of the sentence. I really think the mods could do posters a favor by designating a wise ass smily. One that even the humor impaired would recognize.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
...But standing there with no idea what to do next, or throwing the ball into a crowd of defenders - or to the coach on the sideline with absolutely no defensive pressure - will earn a player a seat on the bench.

Geno has actually commented on Moriah's turnovers. He said in Jan-Feb (don't remember exactly) that she could be too passive and indecisive with the ball. For a program that depends so much on its point guard for direction, emotion and energy (think Jen, Rita, Sue, Renee...) having a kid that's unsure of herself at key points in the game is not going to help the team. Nor would throwing her to the wolves help the player's confidence. I know people wanted Geno to "season" Moriah by having her play more but it might have been counterproductive in the long run. If Moriah played 20 really bad minutes against an opponent, she would only learn that she's not ready to play at this level and it might affect her confidence going forward.

thank you Nan, for this. If only we could copy/paste it into every thread where Geno's choice of playing time and benching is questioned or criticized.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Geez, keep up with the thread. I admitted that you were right about the impact those two games had on the ranking. That's all you're gonna' get.

I missed your secoond post to me. I posted that weeks ago when this came up before. They are an excellent 3 point defensive team.

Reaction Score
There are turnovers and then there are turnovers. Meg Culmo has commented on good vs bad turnovers. If a player is being aggressive but just loses her handle or passes the ball with too much zip, Geno will grimace but not complain. But standing there with no idea what to do next, or throwing the ball into a crowd of defenders - or to the coach on the sideline with absolutely no defensive pressure - will earn a player a seat on the bench.

Here's a link to an article where Kelly talks about Moriah's earlier-in-the-season tendency to hesitate.

He still has not figured out what it takes to get Stokes stoked.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Kinda odd to post this after 14 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks and other defensive plays in the prior game.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
thank you Nan, for this. If only we could copy/paste it into every thread where Geno's choice of playing time and benching is questioned or criticized.

ummmmmm.........

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

One of Geno's greatest gifts as a coach is his knowing his players as people. He knows who can take the sarcasm and verbal jabs and who needs a more paternal approach.

Stokes was pretty active the other afternoon and was looking for her shot...maybe not the best moment to make that argument.

But, I still sense (with little or no quantitative evidence to support this buzz) that despite Geno's past record of wizardry at pushing the appropriate buttons to get the desired result, that this has not been an especially banner year in this regard and he's all but admitted it.

I had a long post in preparation to buttress my theories on this subject as concern the freshmen, but I am not a sophisticated researcher in this field and more data than I can easily assemble is necessary to prove my points; perhaps I'll engage a research assistant.

On the basis of Saturday, there is also the possibility that this issue is in the past and the underclass' performance in the latest scrimmage masquerading as a legitimate NCAA event makes any discussions such as this, past its use-by date.
We'll know more after the Vanderbilt game, a truer test (slightly).

On another subject, I'm interested in reaction to my debunking the practice/play theory which has for too long dominated certain discussions on the board.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
, I'm interested in reaction to my debunking the practice/play theory which has for too long dominated certain discussions on the board.

Attempted debunking.

It was never said that Geno only used the practice/play for determining play. Just most of the time especially for inconstant young players.

I don't believe there is any way you can quantify how Geno's button pushing has impacted the players. Or if he hasn't done well with that this year. How can we say as fact that any of the players I should be playing any differently than they are?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Attempted debunking.

It was never said that Geno only used the practice/play for determining play. Just most of the time especially for inconstant young players.

I don't believe there is any way you can quantify how Geno's button pushing has impacted the players. Or if he hasn't done well with that this year. How can we say as fact that any of the players I should be playing any differently than they are?
One other thing this season is that the injuries and various sicknesses must have wreaked havoc on the team and on Geno's ability to have players go 100% in practice to help them get the most out of their talents. I'm not saying Geno didn't make some tactical errors hindsight might help him see, but only Kelly Faris has played every single game this season, and she had the flu bug several days back. Hard to go 100% when you lose a key guard (Banks) 21 games into the season, it takes about 30 games for your AA guard to really get her mojo back, and a hugely physically talented post player looks like Brit Griner one day and Brit Spears the next...

Reaction Score
Kinda odd to post this after 14 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks and other defensive plays in the prior game.

it was against Idaho, a glorified practice game. Lets see her follow it up against Vandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom