A Hill I'll Fight On. To the death. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Hill I'll Fight On. To the death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When it comes to Newton and any undervaluing that may occur, i think its mostly about his NBA prospects.... which makes some sense. But at the same time, it seems wrong to say. Newton can basically do everything. He shoots with distance. Has a solid mid range game. Has nice size. Can get his own shot adequately. Can take it to the rim. Can play both guard spots. Can run the break. Run half court offense. Isnt the best athlete but is not unathletic either.... thats my list of things he can do after about 5 seconds of tought. Everyone seems aware of his assets. The list is long. And yet he doesnt jump off the page as a draft prospect.

I googled his draft status. The first hit (an SI article from Jan) includes this statement.

"Potential Second-Round Pick in 2024 NBA Draft"

Which amuses me. Newton is an enigma.

Im sure everyone can remeber Newton at ECU. His team stunk when we played against him. But he was a very good freshman. Wiser than his years. Had a well rounded game. Played well against us the one or two times we saw him.

Reaction Score
He went from last seasons question mark to this seasons exclamation point
I think he became the ! In the finals.

Ps: His cousins are awesome.
IMG_2759.jpeg

Reaction Score
Tristen Newton is among the best Huskies we have ever watched play. Kudos to those who plucked him from the free agent pool.

And I'll put him in Top 5 most clutch Husky ever. I have no fear when he has the ball. And when he shoots, I really expect the ball to hit the inside of the twine. Especially in winning time.

When the Huskies repeat, get the big jersey ready for hoisting, folks.

Demi God status awaits.
It's not recency bias. He's hard to beat

Reaction Score
Have we ever had a better point guard?

That’s what I love about him. He knows exactly how to dictate the flow based on what we need and what the other team doesn’t WANT us to do. He imposes our will on them.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Tristen, Donyell, Rip and AJ/Shabazz fighting for spot 4 on UConn Mt. Rushmore of under appreciated.

Some guys here are considered legends but often named a step below others of whom they had more accomplishments (by me too, sometimes). But every guy here is consistently underrated and under appreciated by college basketball fans overall.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Tristen, Donyell, Rip and AJ/Shabazz fighting for spot 4 on UConn Mt. Rushmore of under appreciated.

Some guys here are considered legends but often named a step below others of whom they had more accomplishments (by me too, sometimes). But every guy here is consistently underrated and under appreciated by college basketball fans overall.

Personally Shabazz is spot 4 but AJ deserves a mention.

Reaction Score
Have we ever had a better point guard?
Funny hearing that question now after all the arguments last year about how he wasn't a pg and Hurley was running an offense with no pg...o how far we've come

Reaction Score
I know what you mean. Appears a little nonchalant at times.
I have come to think that that is a strength for this team. He appears never worried, hurried or anxious. Its almost like he's the controller of the court.

People can say all the great things (deservingly so) but I have never seen one of our guards be as consistent, game in and game out, and be dependable when all else is failing. Many of our great guards felt the need to have to take over games (and did it well) to reach victory. Tristan takes over from 1st to 4th quarter, but you never know it until the game is over. He's that good!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who’s gonna fight you??
Shabazz's mom? Probably Boatright's mom too.

Personally, I don't like his chances.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'll tell you, holly fighting aside, among the many things we've been blessed with is players moms and Mama Castle has also earned a spot at that pantheon.

Reaction Score

Who the hell undervalues rip!? He’s on everyone’s top5 of all time. And i mean everyone’s.

Donyell was the first player named by both Rip (during pregame of College Gameday) and Caron (can find it on YouTube) in their all time teams so at least the OGs don’t undervalue him.

Shabazz is one of my all time favs but probably gets a little less love from most because he came right after Kemba and was essentially the same player. Like 95% as good. Kind of like Kobe to Jordan. Same game.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Tristen Newton, a national champion PG is somehow underrated by UConn fans and national media.

Who else makes this play?

Reaction Score

Rip and undervalued don't belong in the same sentence. I wouldn't put Shabazz there either unless fans want to erase the entire KO era.

Reaction Score

I never considered Rip as under-appreciated. The dude was the best player on the first national championship team defeating the nemesis dook team stacked with all-americans (I'm assuming the all-americans part). 77-74. Greatest game of all time. I don't think Shabaaz is either. Let's face it. UConn is an abundance of riches.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I’m happy you put AJ on the list as I feel like he doesn’t get talked about enough. He was so important to that ‘09 core that we couldn’t even make it out the first round without him in ‘08.

Reaction Score
Tristen Newton is among the best Huskies we have ever watched play. Kudos to those who plucked him from the free agent pool.

And I'll put him in Top 5 most clutch Husky ever. I have no fear when he has the ball. And when he shoots, I really expect the ball to hit the inside of the twine. Especially in winning time.

When the Huskies repeat, get the big jersey ready for hoisting, folks.

Demi God status awaits.
"Cardiac Kemba"

Newton has those same traits. Somehow he is able to play with a focus, calm and looseness, no matter the pressure of the game. It's like he's out there playing hoops in the backyard.

When he first transferred to here, I was most excited in his ability to close games, but he was never able to fully flex that playing at East Carolina, where he was perpetually losing and played in an offense that forced him to force his play.

But now, he's the perfect PG for this team.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

How in the world is Rip under appreciated? He's a college basketball Hall of Famer, uniform retired by the school, an all star level NBA champion and widely considered (by far) the best player on the widely considered best team in program history?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
How in the world is Rip under appreciated? He's a college basketball Hall of Famer, uniform retired by the school, an all star level NBA champion and widely considered (by far) the best player on the widely considered best team in program history?

As I said in my post, some may disagree but this isn’t just a list of underrated players, it’s under appreciated and I’ve not only seen Rip considered under Ray, Emeka, Kemba, but I’ve also done it myself. He’s an all-time great, but his accomplishments put him 1 or 2 in our history, he sometimes gets overlooked in favor of the more flashy and maybe listed 3-5…that’s why he’s on that list. But I can remove him for, say, Marcus or AJ.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As I said in my post, some may disagree but this isn’t just a list of underrated players, it’s under appreciated and I’ve not only seen Rip considered under Ray, Emeka, Kemba, but I’ve also done it myself. He’s an all-time great, but his accomplishments put him 1 or 2 in our history, he sometimes gets overlooked in favor of the more flashy and maybe listed 3-5…that’s why he’s on that list. But I can remove him for, say, Marcus or AJ.

I guess the degree of underappreciated (ranked 1 or 2 spots lower) is just different than how I'd say it. But I suppose I get your point. Fair enough.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I guess the degree of underappreciated (ranked 1 or 2 spots lower) is just different than how I'd say it. But I suppose I get your point. Fair enough.

It doesn’t have to be right, but it’s mine! Haha

Reaction Score
I honestly feel that he is the only NBA ready player on this team. A good number of our guys will eventually play at the next level but Newton will be there early and he will help whoever drafts him. You have to have watched him play consistently to appreciate everything that he does - which is a little bit of everything.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I know what you mean. Appears a little nonchalant at times.
He radiates confidence and joy. This part of him reminds me very much of Kemba. I think this is a big help to his teammates; especially the younger ones. When things go down hill for this team as noted above he justs kind of takes over in either scoring, dishing or defense. He has what they often call in football the ability "to make a play." And never gets rattled. Love those football cousins of his who show up at tournament time. One time this year he was on the free throw line waiting to shoot and the ref was talking and talking and Tristen was saying under his breath (lip reading) "Give me the ball;
give me the ball." LOL.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
He radiates confidence and joy. This part of him reminds me very much of Kemba. I think this is a big help to his teammates; especially the younger ones. When things go down hill for this team as noted above he justs kind of takes over in either scoring, dishing or defense. He has what they often call in football the ability "to make a play." And never gets rattled. Love those football cousins of his who show up at tournament time. One time this year he was on the free throw line waiting to shoot and the ref was talking and talking and Tristen was saying under his breath (lip reading) "Give me the ball;
give me the ball." LOL.
My favorite thing he does is flip up his foul shots like he's just warming up pre-game. A killer chewing bubble gum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom