A great season for Tampa | The Boneyard

A great season for Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The better team won the series. I predicted 90 wins and they got 91 and squeezed by Boston. Texas was a bad match up for Tampa and it showed. They will enter next season with the best starting pitching in the AL and if they add the right couple of bats they could win 2012 WS.

Thanks for putting up with my passion for my team.

Reaction Score
Sinkhole - great to have another perspective besides NY & Boston on the board. On the baseball side, it was a great season for T. On the business side, it was an awful season, as evidenced by your owner's exceptionally discouraging post-season remarks. He can't continue to run a team that makes the playoffs, yet finishes 29th out of 30 teams in attendance.

Reaction Score
Sinkhole - great to have another perspective besides NY & Boston on the board. On the baseball side, it was a great season for T. On the business side, it was an awful season, as evidenced by your owner's exceptionally discouraging post-season remarks. He can't continue to run a team that makes the playoffs, yet finishes 29th out of 30 teams in attendance.
They need a new stadium. Its that simple. The trop is horrendous and there is no way in hell you should be playing baseball in Florida in a domed stadium. That's ludicrous.

Reaction Score
Stop with the "Hey! Great season, sink!" bs.

With teams like Detroit and Milwaukee in it, no reason to accept or be happy with the Rays postseason. You either win it all or you don't win it all. There are no consolation prizes and, we've seen that higher payrolls don't mean a damn.

The way I see it is you have a certain amount of chances at a ring when your team is on the upward swing. Every year that you don't win it in that swing is a wasted opportunity. (Colts, Braves, Phillies, Patriots, Jets, Heat, etc).

Reaction Score
BS Deep. Tampa played 17 rookies before the Sept call ups. Two of our post season starters were rookies. Our best player the second half of the season after Longoria was Jennings who looks like a star. In a rebuilding year we kicked the Sox ass and stole a playoff spot. Our window will remain open for many years to come due to the depth of young cost controlled starting pitching. We won 91 games and had a great year. The Yanks won,what 97 and have misery.

Reaction Score
They need a new stadium. Its that simple. The trop is horrendous and there is no way in hell you should be playing baseball in Florida in a domed stadium. That's ludicrous.

They need a stadium in Tampa where people live.

Reaction Score
They need a stadium in Tampa where people live.

The Rays need to be in a city - no wait, a state - that cares about baseball.

Rays are going to lose even more talent this upcoming year. It's only inevitable that they will lose again. Maybe this year wasn't luck...but I'm not sure you guys can repeat again...

Reaction Score
The entire Florida State league and Spring training homes of about 8 teams are within 30 miles of Tampa. So saying the area dosen't care is silly. Build a park in Tampa and they will be fine.

lol You guys are a broken record year after year. If they decide to trade Upton or even Shields they will certainly get great value back. No one of importance is a FA this year. So who are they losing exactly? NHU do you realize how much starting pitching Tampa has and how deep the farm system is? They should have the best team they have ever had next year.

Reaction Score

There is seriously nothing more depressing than watching a game at the Trop on TV. On a beautiful gorgeous summer day, it pains me to the point of my eyes almost bleeding to watch that fugly field and thick layer of gray dreariness always present in the air at the Trop. I'd rather stare at 60k empty orange seats at a Marlins game if I was a FL resident. Honestly, there isn't a single sports venue I hate more appearance wise. I can't even put anything else as a somewhat near 2nd.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Rays are forced to play in the Trop until 2027. That is not an exaggeration. "Lease" is a generous term. They cannot go anywhere because they are physically forbidden from going anywhere that doesn't end in "-aint Petersburg, Florida".

Reaction Score
BS Deep. Tampa played 17 rookies before the Sept call ups. Two of our post season starters were rookies. Our best player the second half of the season after Longoria was Jennings who looks like a star. In a rebuilding year we kicked the Sox ass and stole a playoff spot. Our window will remain open for many years to come due to the depth of young cost controlled starting pitching. We won 91 games and had a great year. The Yanks won,what 97 and have misery.

Poppycock. You're what the A's were after Moneyball. Nice run. Good young talent. Maybe you'll get one next year or the year after....but this year was a wasted opportunity that was in front of you while you are on the upper part of the winning curve. Especially with the Yanks, Sox and Phils not really making a deep run.

Reaction Score
The entire Florida State league and Spring training homes of about 8 teams are within 30 miles of Tampa. So saying the area dosen't care is silly. Build a park in Tampa and they will be fine.
That right there might be part of the problem. You have a built in reason why half the fans in the immediate area of the team root for ANOTHER team. Hard to generate interest in the Rays when all the locals are fans of the Yankees, and the other teams that play in that area in the spring.

Reaction Score
The better team won the series. I predicted 90 wins and they got 91 and squeezed by Boston. Texas was a bad match up for Tampa and it showed. They will enter next season with the best starting pitching in the AL and if they add the right couple of bats they could win 2012 WS.

Thanks for putting up with my passion for my team.

I am in the Orlando/Tampa area for a conference. I visited the Trop and had the honor of being the first fan to ever enter the stadium. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom