A Good No Call? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Good No Call?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well imo thats too bad, because this is the NCAA Championship. You make every call no matter the situation. They werent afraid to look at how many plays at the end of the UCLA game. You make the calls when they happen. Like the call on Gabby for a foul when the replay showed clearly there was no foul....and that one wasnt even close.
The rose-colored glasses aren't as becoming after games like yesterday. One thing UConn fans can't complain about is that they got a bad whistle.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
IMO there is no such thing as a no call its either a foul or not a foul and when you jump infront of a player driving the lane and she runs into you its a foul unless you have created position in advance and the defender did not. The delayed call on Lou had to be embarrassing for the ref who was standing there watching it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The rose-colored glasses aren't as becoming after games like yesterday. One thing UConn fans can't complain about is that they got a bad whistle.
No whistle is a bad whistle when it should have been blown. If we were wearing rose colored glasses we most likely would not have seen the play...maybe the ref was wearing rose colored glasses which would explain why the call wasnt made.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well imo thats too bad, because this is the NCAA Championship. You make every call no matter the situation. They werent afraid to look at how many plays at the end of the UCLA game. You make the calls when they happen. Like the call on Gabby for a foul when the replay showed clearly there was no foul....and that one wasnt even close.
Tony, if the refs called every foul, Gabby and Pheesa would have fouled out and UConn would have lost by 20. Kia, too.

Reaction Score
It was a "no call" because it wasn't a foul. However, my post was in response to your saying "Not really, considering you wan a chance at a rebound" when Checkmate said that Chong shot way too early.
So, you are saying there was no contact with a player in control of the ball going to the basket?

Reaction Score
I just looked at the reply. She drove into the lane with 14 seconds left and the shot went up with 13 and change. MSU had 12+ to bring the ball down court.

Most conventional wisdom has you shoot that with just enough time to possibly get a rebound and put back, but not enough for the other team to come down court. But Ms. Chong turned that corner and hard to keep off the gas....
William slipped under the multiple screens and was quick enough to get position again. I thought ~something~ should have been called, but wasn't sure which way. Maybe a no call was best. It was too early for a shot in any case.

Reaction Score
Tony, if the refs called every foul, Gabby and Pheesa would have fouled out and UConn would have lost by 20. Kia, too.
MSU would have lost a lot of players too. They were very physical defensively.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So, you are saying there was no contact with a player in control of the ball going to the basket?
The contact wasn't a foul. Now back to your point. Tie game and you don't think shooting with 12-plus seconds left is too soon?

Reaction Score

I think the fact that Saniya was a bit out of control of herself/the ball when contact with defense started to be made is what made it a good no call. She was off balance/fumbling the ball before contact because William made a great defensive recovery and appeared to establish position. Saniya tried to adjust to this, but because she had committed to the drive down the (apparent) open lane, then lost her balance trying to avoid a possible offensive foul; she then tried to heave up a prayer...it was about all she could do given no obvious pass options due to the overload of offense/defense on the right side. About 100% of the time, no matter what time of the game that a situation like that occurs, refs will eat the whistle.

Reaction Score
The contact wasn't a foul. Now back to your point. Tie game and you don't think shooting with 12-plus seconds left is too soon?
What does time on the clock have to do with whether or not there was sufficient contact? Both players ended up on the floor?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What does time on the clock have to do with whether or not there was sufficient contact? Both players ended up on the floor?
That's not a criterion for determining a foul. McCowan hit the floor when she had the breakaway and she wasn't fouled.

Reaction Score
I think the fact that Saniya was a bit out of control of herself/the ball when contact with defense started to be made is what made it a good no call. She was off balance/fumbling the ball before contact because William made a great defensive recovery and appeared to establish position. Saniya tried to adjust to this, but because she had committed to the drive down the (apparent) open lane, then lost her balance trying to avoid a possible offensive foul; she then tried to heave up a prayer...it was about all she could do given no obvious pass options due to the overload of offense/defense on the right side. About 100% of the time, no matter what time of the game that a situation like that occurs, refs will eat the whistle.
Sounds like you are just making excuses for the official .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My interaction with you dealt with your silly assertion that Chong didn't shoot too soon. That you keep changing the subject tells me you realize you were wrong.

Reaction Score
That's not a criterion for determining a foul. McCowan hit the floor when she had the breakaway and she wasn't fouled.
Agreed, but Saniya had control of the ball and was driving toward the basket. I thought you couldn't impede a players motion ? I would love technical clarification.

Reaction Score
My interaction with you dealt with your silly assertion that Chong didn't shoot too soon. That you keep changing the subject tells me you realize you were wrong.
Sorry, but I am confused by your reasoning. Is it a no call because there was no contact , or because in your estimation the play happened too soon ? I was just asking for that clarification.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It was a tough ending for UConn senior Saniya Chong who had a major role in the Huskies putting together the season they had but she was the one who tried to give the Huskies the lead in the closing seconds only to be charged with a turnover.

"Saniya's played more minutes in the NCAA tournament this year than she did in the other three years combined. Now she gets the ball and tried to make a play to win the game. OK, only problem was it was seven seconds too early. She is trying to make a play to win the game. We probably wouldn't be in the [Final Four] if she didn't have the last couple of months that she had
."

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville

Reaction Score
Kara and Doris both said without a doubt it was a flagrant one. Dave O'Brien read the rule, and the qualifications for a flagrant one and two were on the screen. It was a flagrant one, and Lou hit both free throws. It could have been the perfect ending to an imperfect game.

Reaction Score
It was a tough ending for UConn senior Saniya Chong who had a major role in the Huskies putting together the season they had but she was the one who tried to give the Huskies the lead in the closing seconds only to be charged with a turnover.

"Saniya's played more minutes in the NCAA tournament this year than she did in the other three years combined. Now she gets the ball and tried to make a play to win the game. OK, only problem was it was seven seconds too early. She is trying to make a play to win the game. We probably wouldn't be in the [Final Four] if she didn't have the last couple of months that she had
."
I certainly appreciate this quote, which I heard already. My question has always been about why the time on the clock should have anything tondo with it ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All this arguing. Saniya drove the lane and was knocked down. Should she have driven down a wide open lane with less then 15 seconds left or waited til there were less time left? Well if she wasnt knocked to the ground there was a really good chance she wouldve had an easy layup so you make the decision. For me I would take the easy layup and force the opponent to have to score with less then 6 seconds left.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I certainly appreciate this quote, which I heard already. My question has always been about why the time on the clock should have anything tondo with it ?
Twelve seconds is a long time in basketball. If Saniya had dribbled or passed the ball for a few more seconds, UConn would have taken the last shot with no time left for Miss State to score.

Reaction Score
Twelve seconds is a long time in basketball. If Saniya had dribbled or passed the ball for a few more seconds, UConn would have taken the last shot with no time left for Miss State to score.
My question is not about the clock. The question was whether or not a foul was committed. Why do we keep going back to whether or not she started too soon ? So are you now telling me that fouls shouldn't be called with 1 second on the shot clock too ?

Reaction Score
All this arguing. Saniya drove the lane and was knocked down. Should she have driven down a wide open lane with less then 15 seconds left or waited til there were less time left? Well if she wasnt knocked to the ground there was a really good chance she wouldve had an easy layup so you make the decision. For me I would take the easy layup and force the opponent to have to score with less then 6 seconds left.
EXACTLY !

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My question is not about the clock. The question was whether or not a foul was committed. Why do we keep going back to whether or not she started too soon ? So are you now telling me that fouls shouldn't be called with 1 second on the shot clock too ?
It was an offensive foul, if anything. Let it go. The refs didn't cause the loss.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
You are both either borderline delusional or need to get your eyes checked if you think Saniya was "knocked down" on that play.

I don't understand - I thought it was definitely a missed Natalie Novosel type call - William should have been called for the foul LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom