A Good No Call? | The Boneyard

A Good No Call?

Reaction Score
apparently the rules change in the last minute of the game- however, Chong was shooting way to early- not a senior move

Reaction Score
apparently the rules change in the last minute of the game- however, Chong was shooting way to early- not a senior move
Not really, considering you wan a chance at a rebound . Either way, it was great to hear Geno finally mention it at end of presser. I'll leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Wasn't a defensive foul. She was out of control. And to start the play that early... didn't really deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
Eh, it wasn't a foul. It was a dumb decision by a kid who came a long way to become an integral part of this team, and one of the few who kept us in this game.

Reaction Score
Wasn't a defensive foul. She was out of control. And to start the play that early... didn't really deserve the benefit of the doubt.
Sorry, the defensive player interfered with the progression of a player in control of the ball driving to the rim. The defensive player was not established ! Contact causes both player to the floor and ball to go out of bounds. Got to be a call there. How come we haven't seen one replay ?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Absolutely not a no call. Its the FINAL FOUR. You make the call and all calls until the buzzer sounds.

Reaction Score
The refs had a lot a courage to call the flagrant against Lou, especially since it didn't look intentional, but rather qualified really only because there was contact to the head. They made that call knowing that they were probably handing the game to UConn. After that, there was no way we were getting an easy defensive four that was anything other than an outright mauling.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
IMO that was an exciting game and it is sad that it ended on a play like that for Chong which as a few of us remembered was similar to the loss at Stanford when Chong made the 2 but you needed a 3. I doubt there was cause for a call but I do agree with the call on review. The refs put themselves in that position by not calling the obvious foul on Dillingham who got beat and made the physical play to stop Samuelson from a momentum play at the time, which could have also been reviewed as flagrant. There can be no contact above the shoulders when trying to stop a player from progressing. The refs also took a long time to review on all angles and I am sure they also realized that they had screwed up in not calling the foul and on review couldn't get away with a common foul.

Reaction Score
Not really, considering you wan a chance at a rebound . Either way, it was great to hear Geno finally mention it at end of presser. I'll leave it at that.

How much time was left when Chong shot ? There was a lot more time than you need for an offensive rebound to score - obviously enough time for MSU to get a good shot.

Reaction Score
There was no way the refs were going to call a foul on Miss State after the technical. Zero chance.
Hey Nan, I would just like to know your reasoning regarding " why " ?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hey Nan, I would just like to know your reasoning regarding " why " ?
Giving a T at that point in the game was somewhat controversial. If the rules hadn't been so clear that it was a T, I think the refs would rather have called a regular foul, if anything. IMO, that's what they were discussing for so long.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
How much time was left when Chong shot ? There was a lot more time than you need for an offensive rebound to score - obviously enough time for MSU to get a good shot.

I just looked at the reply. She drove into the lane with 14 seconds left and the shot went up with 13 and change. MSU had 12+ to bring the ball down court.

Most conventional wisdom has you shoot that with just enough time to possibly get a rebound and put back, but not enough for the other team to come down court. But Ms. Chong turned that corner and hard to keep off the gas....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Giving a T at that point in the game was somewhat controversial. If the rules hadn't been so clear that it was a T, I think the refs would rather have called a regular foul, if anything. IMO, that's what they were discussing for so long.
I understand what you are saying. So by that reasoning, I guess, the rulebook should have a different set of rules for games under " say " the 2 minute mark ? Let me just say, I am not upset about losing. JUST THE CIRCUMSTANCE. Great season by a bunch of great ladies !

Reaction Score
Really Doris, how is that not a foul on Chong's drive ? Driving to the rack and Doris calls her out of control. Rob Job !
Should have been. But if the Irish can get away with driving down the defenders throat, its only fair UConn get away with it.

Reaction Score
You can look back at every call made in a game and question it. What's funny is how one team always feels the calls went against them and the other team thinks the calls went against them. Calls are part of the game, let's just congratulate Miss St and UCONN on an exciting game and great seasons for each team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno is on record as saying that if you need a foul at the end of the game to pull out a victory, you don't deserve to win. He said that a few years ago - I can't find the quote but I remember it clearly.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There was no way the refs were going to call a foul on Miss State after the technical. Zero chance.
Well imo thats too bad, because this is the NCAA Championship. You make every call no matter the situation. They werent afraid to look at how many plays at the end of the UCLA game. You make the calls when they happen. Like the call on Gabby for a foul when the replay showed clearly there was no foul....and that one wasnt even close.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So you are saying it's a no call, because of "when " it happened ?
It was a "no call" because it wasn't a foul. However, my post was in response to your saying "Not really, considering you wan a chance at a rebound" when Checkmate said that Chong shot way too early.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom