A few names for Commish... | The Boneyard

A few names for Commish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Carparelli made a much better statement at media day than Bailey ever has. He apparently gets it at least.

However, I truly hope he doesn't get the job. We need big change. I want someone to come in that has absolutely no relationship with PC, SJU etc. Someone that can lay out a plan and put it in motion without being swayed or intimidated by the small schools. I'm not sure Caparelli can do that. Weiberg please.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Thinking about this more, the Big East can hit it out of the park if:

A) they hire weiberg for the top gig
B) keep Carparelli on to run the football side
C) hire Greg Shaheen for the hoops side

They've got a big ol' pot of cash to make this happen ($40M in exit fees) so money shouldn't be a factor. It would also grab headlines and squash the 'no leadership' excuses once and for all.

And sadly, there's a big chance that it will never happen...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
All those choices suck. I think they should hire a major hitter gray hair that is an alum of one of the schools. Paul Tagliabue comes to mind, but I suspect he has already turned it down. Any hitter with media experience will do. There must be an ex or current network exec from GTown or UConn or SMU or even SDSU. Someone that will open doors and command immediate respect when he sits down across from the vipers at ESPN. We don't need to hire someone for the next 10 years, so a guy that is on the beach is fine.

Then, name Carparelli Commissioner in waiting. He takes over in 2-3 years.

Reaction Score
The candidates in Blaudschun's article are speculative. On Media Day, Carparelli declined to confirm that he's a candidate for the permanent position (so he probably is). Blaudschun has always been pro-Big East & has some good contacts within the conference offices. He's listed 4 candidates. I'd like to know who actually are the 5 finalists for the position.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Weinberg is the only acceptable name on that list. If Carparelli were so great, his influence would have helped the BE avoid the embarrassments of the past year. I don't know the other two, but NCAA executive and MLB hanger on are not what I'm looking for.

Go find Delany's or Slive's right hand and pay them whatever it takes. If you want to hire strategic consultants for.media negotiations and expansion, fine.

If the guy isn't a FB heavyweight, keep.looking. If another PC or BB insider is tapped the key FB schools should secretly.hire their own consultant to work on a separation plan.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I like Carparelli, but the Big East really needs to bring in someone from outside who can take a fresh look and bring fresh ideas. And frankly, someone who can tell the basketball schools that they are second class citizens and get them to accept that. I know it isn't a popular notion, but if Big East basketball disappeared it would be replaced in a heartbeat. there are 320 teams playing and it's easy to find basketball games to broadcast. Which is what some people never understood. We need a commissioner who does get that and promotes Big East football.

Reaction Score
I like Carparelli, but the Big East really needs to bring in someone from outside who can take a fresh look and bring fresh ideas. And frankly, someone who can tell the basketball schools that they are second class citizens and get them to accept that. I know it isn't a popular notion, but if Big East basketball disappeared it would be replaced in a heartbeat. there are 320 teams playing and it's easy to find basketball games to broadcast. Which is what some people never understood. We need a commissioner who does get that and promotes Big East football.

Exactly.

The skillset of a good associate commissioner isn't really the same skillset you desire in a commissioner. And yes, Big East basketball is easily replaceable.

Reaction Score
to me the number one focus of the next commissioner is to get us a good media deal. everything else can be done by just about anybody, but we need a media deal that keeps us in the ballpark of the ACC. to me it seems Tagliabue would do a great job of that, but i have a feeling he's not interested in the job or he'd already have it. if our media deal gets fouled up the rest is moot, if the media deal is great the rest will fall into place

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Looks like 4-6 mil per team, pocket change as far as the Power 5 Conferences but all the NBE is likely to get.

Do you really have to come back here every time you see an ESPN or CBS lead propaganda piece meant to devalue the Big East? I don't see you post the NY Daily News or other less biased reports that say that the Big East is likely to sign a huge contract with NBC.

I am sure you will come back here after we sign the huge deal with NBC and try to rationalize that as well with some ESPN or CBS propaganda article on why it is bad news for the Big East. But when the Big East has a contract that is equal to or more than the ACC and the deal is for a National Network TV package (that only the SEC can rival) you will just look even more ridiculous. You should just change your screen name to ACCAl (ala RutgersAl).:rolleyes:

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Mula in the mix for BE Commissioner:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-general-counsel-in-big-east-commissioner-mix

Good thing his name is 'Mula' because if you read down in the article and see the expected TV contract numbers that is the only moola the NBE will be getting. Looks like 4-6 mil per team, pocket change as far as the Power 5 Conferences but all the NBE is likely to get.

Another stupid article based on UNNAMED source. This is as dumb as ESPiN proclaiming ACC as part of POWER 5. There is nothing power about the ACC.

Reaction Score
Do you really have to come back here every time you see an ESPN or CBS lead propaganda piece meant to devalue the Big East? I don't see you post the NY Daily News or other less biased reports that say that the Big East is likely to sign a huge contract with NBC.

I am sure you will come back here after we sign the huge deal with NBC and try to rationalize that as well with some ESPN or CBS propaganda article on why it is bad news for the Big East. But when the Big East has a contract that is equal to or more than the ACC and the deal is for a National Network TV package (that only the SEC can rival) you will just look even more ridiculous. You should just change your screen name to ACCAl (ala RutgersAl).:rolleyes:

The Daily News article was linked here a few days ago. Why would anyone want to re-post it?

Now let's see if I follow, the Daily News is not-biased because it said good things about the slim possibility of the NBE TV deal being worth serious money but CBS Sports is biased because they said the BE will likely get peanuts. Am I understanding that correctly?

I told everyone months ago that the ACC was not going to lose any teams and would be one of the major conferences going forward. Almost everyone here scoffed and had the ACC dead and buried. So I stand on my track record.

The NBE is not going to get anywhere near the money of any Power 5 Conference and in the unlikely event I am wrong you can all tell me "We told you so." But if I were you I would not hold my breath waiting for that moment.

Reaction Score
I told everyone months ago that the ACC was not going to lose any teams and would be one of the major conferences going forward. Almost everyone here scoffed and had the ACC dead and buried. So I stand on my track record.
No, not "almost everyone" wrote off the ACC as being done. Almost everyone did say the ACC was not as good as ESPiN would like you to believe, and not better than the BE. You also posted months ago that you lived in CT and liked to follow the local team (UConn would be the local team). Ever since that post you appear to go out of your way to highlight anything unfavorable toward the BE and highlight anything favorable towards the ACC. On top of this, your "almost everyone" statement above is so far from the truth. Almost everyone laughed at ESPiN's continual attempts to beat down on the BE, but very few had the ACC dead and buried, just had the ACC a far cry from the SEC and B1G and on par w/ the BE on the field.

So, what's your obsession with the BE again? Which team do you follow? You have never answered that. SU? BC?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Observer is on the record. 6 million per team. If the league gets a dime more than that, will he come back and eat crow? I'm guessing no.

Reaction Score
No, not "almost everyone" wrote off the ACC as being done. Almost everyone did say the ACC was not as good as ESPiN would like you to believe, and not better than the BE. You also posted months ago that you lived in CT and liked to follow the local team (UConn would be the local team). Ever since that post you appear to go out of your way to highlight anything unfavorable toward the BE and highlight anything favorable towards the ACC. On top of this, your "almost everyone" statement above is so far from the truth. Almost everyone laughed at ESPiN's continual attempts to beat down on the BE, but very few had the ACC dead and buried, just had the ACC a far cry from the SEC and B1G and on par w/ the BE on the field.

So, what's your obsession with the BE again? Which team do you follow? You have never answered that. SU? BC?
can clemson and FSU please go to the Big12 so this will go away.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Observer is on the record. 6 million per team. If the league gets a dime more than that, will he come back and eat crow? I'm guessing no.
LOL... no. Whatever the value is, he'll claim that he is somehow right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom