A Duke Drop-By | The Boneyard

A Duke Drop-By

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Duke was better then many expected last year, but can Coach P win the BIG game when it counts. I'm not convinced that she can despite the win over South Carolina lsst year. If she gets an extension I would only make it for a year or two, but she probably wouldn't accept it. I'll put coach P in the Holly Warlick category of coaches. They'll accomplish enough to get a great winning record, but not achieve as much as their roster indicates they should.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Duke was better then many expected last year, but can Coach P win the BIG game when it counts. I'm not convinced that she can despite the win over South Carolina lsst year. If she gets an extension I would only make it for a year or two, but she probably wouldn't accept it. I'll put coach P in the Holly Warlick category of coaches. They'll accomplish enough to get a great winning record, but not achieve as much as their roster indicates they should.

I was more critical than you after hearing those horrible 'throw the team under the bus' press conferences after the inevitable big loss, the transfers and the Liz Williams tales.

But something happened after her near firing. She started to coach...and did a heck of a job last year.

Methinks, Holly has a long way to go to match P's natural ability.

Reaction Score
I was more critical than you after hearing those horrible 'throw the team under the bus' press conferences after the inevitable big loss, the transfers and the Liz Williams tales.

But something happened after her near firing. She started to coach...and did a heck of a job last year.

I agree Holly and JPM are not in the same classification. I must admit I'm pretty neutral with JPM and not so with Holly.
JPM has been a successful recruiter and has had a few good or better than good years.
Investigations are just that until they turn into charges--often times humans equate investigation with guilt--a complaint usually gets an investigation--all complaints are at times only valid in the mind of the one making the complaint.

Reaction Score
Ironically if we don't make atleast the elite eight this year I'll be very disappointed. Only way I give her an extension is if she can lead Duke to a final four within the next 2 seasons.

Reaction Score

I agree something definitely happened after her near firing, she did actually start making some in game adjustments. BUT we did not even make the sweet sixteen. Last year was probably the weirdest year ever as a fan under Coach P entire Duke tenure.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But in spite of the distractions, when National Signing Day rolled around in November before their best regular season since 2012-13, the Blue Devils still managed to land the No. 8 recruiting class in the nation, according to ESPN.

The author didn't check to see that the class is ranked 12th.

Also, this was interesting.

The Blue Devils had recruited the 6-foot-4 Williams since she was in eighth grade and beat out teams like Connecticut and Notre Dame for her services.

Can you beat out a school that has stopped recruiting the player?

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
The author didn't check to see that the class is ranked 12th

We may be better than eight Boykin was way underrated due to
several injuries prior to her senior year.

Reaction Score
Amen!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Dont mind me....... just passing through.... trying to avoid the shade.

passing thru.gif

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I agree Holly and JPM are not in the same classification. I must admit I'm pretty neutral with JPM and not so with Holly.
JPM has been a successful recruiter and has had a few good or better than good years.
Investigations are just that until they turn into charges--often times humans equate investigation with guilt--a complaint usually gets an investigation--all complaints are at times only valid in the mind of the one making the complaint.
Actually JPM had issues over her behavior and I believe she was given a reprimand and she adhered to the new mandates and did a great job this past year. She listened to the complaints and worked with the team/administration with a much better attitude. However If it wasn't for the years left and the $'s owed she would have been let go last year. Given her recruiting and school prestige She has underachieved over the years in coaching given the talent but still is a top 20 coach. She also has a clue about offense, which is what Holly is truly lacking as well as instilling some cohesion with her team.

Reaction Score
I suppose I could have been considered a JPM defender in the past. It was not necessarily that I thought she was a great coach, but because I felt that the majority of the criticism thrown at her was exaggerated or unwarranted. There were quite a few other mitigating factors revolving around the program that kept it from achieving it's potential. For one they seemed to be hit with injuries to key players for multiple seasons in a row. But the main issue seemed to be her inability to recognize and deal with residual negative issues that she inherited from the previous coaching staffs relationship with the AD that hired her. When the AD left after hiring her, that animosity was projected upon her and she was seen though that perspective which affected any real objectivity.

Her changing her style probably is a factor for her recent success. I do, however, also believe that what has been overlooked is that through attrition, the people who had issues with her personally are no longer with the program. The fans and elements that have been working to get her out have basically given up. It is hard to succeed when people are working against you. I believe there was a strong self fulfilling Prophetic element at work in the programs failures.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Duke was better then many expected last year,...............but not achieve as much as their roster indicates they should.
but can Coach P win the BIG game when it counts. ...............despite the win over South Carolina last year.

huh-r8odlp.jpg

Reaction Score
In the article, "... and point guard Angela Salvadores returned home to play professionally in Spain, and the turbulent offseason kept snowballing."

Does anyone know how Salvadores performed as a pro in Europe? Thriving back there?

Reaction Score
In the article, "... and point guard Angela Salvadores returned home to play professionally in Spain, and the turbulent offseason kept snowballing."

Does anyone know how Salvadores performed as a pro in Europe? Thriving back there?

She played for CB Perfumerias Avenida and played only 9 minutes per game. Her numbers were 2.4pts, 1rb, and 1.4ast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom