A Current Flaw In The Diamond | The Boneyard

A Current Flaw In The Diamond

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma says: “I think most of it is what I expected. She’s very quiet, very, very much introverted. [She] really doesn’t say a whole lot, but her game is much older than her age.”

That's Azzi he's talking about. Paige was that way last fall, but she worked her way out of that. Maybe she can convince her bestie to talk on the court. The role she is to play sort of demands it. There are no shy basketball greats.

Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma says: “I think most of it is what I expected. She’s very quiet, very, very much introverted. [She] really doesn’t say a whole lot, but her game is much older than her age.”

That's Azzi he's talking about. Paige was that way last fall, but she worked her way out of that. Maybe she can convince her bestie to talk on the court. The role she is to play sort of demands it. There are no shy basketball greats.

I'm not sure Paige was "introverted". Paige kept her opinions to herself until she gained confidence and respect from her teammates. Watching some of Paige's high school games it's quite obvious that she is in no way introverted. There were many times during games when she was flat out yelling in an opponent's face or trash talking with the best of them. I've seen it a little in UConn games as well, but she usually does it a little more toned down. She's had a few choice words on her way to the charity stripe last year.

Azzi, on the other hand, has always been described as introverted and quiet. But I do hope that as she grows and matures she will stretch out, because she's going to need it if the wants to be a leader. I'm confident she'll be fine, but you never know.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Paige was "introverted". Paige kept her opinions to herself until she gained confidence and respect from her teammates. Watching some of Paige's high school games it's quite obvious that she is in no way introverted. There were many times during games when she was flat out yelling in an opponent's face or trash talking with the best of them. I've seen it a little in UConn games as well, but she usually does it a little more toned down. She's had a few choice words on her way to the charity stripe last year.

Azzi, on the other hand, has always been described as introverted and quiet. But I do hope that as she grows and matures she will stretch out, because she's going to need it if the wants to be a leader. I'm confident she'll be fine, but you never know.
No introvert she, but an extrovert. Early part of the year she did not talk alot on the court. She was a reluctant leader, but with Geno's nagging she got over that. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Reaction Score

at least in the men's game as I remember Kareem Abdul Jabbar was painfully shy as a young pro...........took years for him to come out of his shell on and off the court.........

Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure she communicates on the court when she needs to..........otherwise I expect her play to do most of the talking......

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
I think in high school she was a vocal leader, at least in her senior year. I remember the Slam documentary where Paige told the team that everyone should box out as they were losing the game due to giving away offensive rebounds. It was a game Geno attended and when watching the official broadcast of that game, Geno was looking at the huddle during that timeout and I think he was glad about what he saw, though his face said otherwise :D

Edit for links (time-stamped):

Slam documentary (30:31)

Official broadcast (26:06)

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
At some point last season Geno really got on the team about the necessity of talking to each other during play and they weren't doing it near enough. They got the message and were better for it. If you don't talk you are not playing your best and you're not helping your teammates as you should. Not talking is not a nonisssue; it's a flaw in your game. I'm hoping Azzi's quiet nature falls away when she walks onto the court.

Reaction Score
At some point last season Geno really got on the team about the necessity of talking to each other during play and they weren't doing it near enough. They got the message and were better for it. If you don't talk you are not playing your best and you're not helping your teammates as you should. Not talking is not a nonisssue; it's a flaw in your game. I'm hoping Azzi's quiet nature falls away when she walks onto the court.
I think we are getting a bit silly here.......there's a big difference between being a reserved personality off the court and not talking to teammates during a game on the basketball court........ has been playing at the highest levels and succeeding from a young age.........twice as consensus national high school player of the year I believe........does anybody seriously think that she doesn't know how to communicate to team members on a basketball court?

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
If this is the biggest issue we have, wow are we gonna have a great year.
Communication on the floor is essential, but everybody does not need to be a leader. Especially not a Freshman who hasn't had a chance to learn the mind of the coach. Let the more experienced team members do the talking. All the freshman need to do is acknowledge the have heard and will comply.
And when it's time for Azzi to assert herself, she will. Geno will make sure of that.
Just my 2 cents.

Reaction Score

"A Flaw in the Diamond?", because a freshmen who comes to the single greatest basketball program in the country and she's initially a bit quiet and shy, she's somewhat flawed? Wow, some of you guys with your hyperbole and sensationalism! You probably should be writing headlines for the Inquirer... Please give Azzi a little time to matriculate from her high school to a national college power...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom