A. Callahan's Tale of the Tape | The Boneyard

A. Callahan's Tale of the Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Tale of the Tape– Cochran or Whitmer ... New Husky offensive wrinkles ... who played best along the offensive line..

http://post original url/kAq8wBw3FV
Once again, a great breakdown and analysis by AC. Kudos on that. I have to believe our coaches saw the all same things he did and will make what ever changes are possible given the current state of our personnel. However, it looks like the 2 QB experiment will continue through at least next weekend.

Retweeted by TheUConnBlog
Paul Doyle ‏@PaulDoyle1 25m
Bob Diaco: #UConn will use 2-QBs vs. Stony Brook."Need to get better as a team each week. To get better as team, everybody needs to play."

Reaction Score
I know it's not the popular opinion but I'm fine w/ the two QB experiment for another game (I may not be so fine going past another week or so). Despite OL improvement YOY, there is still much work to accomplish as noted by AC and others. My fear is that we are one blindside hit from having only 1 QB in play and blowing Boyle's redshirt season. Let them get game speed experience now until there is clear separation. It may only be my opinion, but they know exactly what they are doing at this point..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cochran is much better manuevering the pocket without taking his eyes off the receivers. Unfortunately, for whatever reason Whitmer does not have this trait.

That is the single most important difference between the two. Whitmer gets sacked WAYYYYYYY more than Cochran. He needs to be put on the bench.

Reaction Score
Great analysis of the nuance of the game. Nicely done.

I'm good with two QBs for now but do not change mid-drive.

Reaction Score
My biggest gripe against Whitmer for a long time now has been that he simply drops back too far at the first sign of pressure. This does not help his offensive linemen at all. Also, he is not fast enough to be considered a true dual threat.

After watching most of the first half today I was actually more encouraged then when I left the game. We weren't overwhelmed physically, if anything, they had superior QB play from a kid who time and time again made a play that his team needed to extend drives. At least one fourth down, and several on third downs.

That doesn't take away from the madness of replacing CC when led them into the redzone on the first drive of the third or constant substitutions, but we are seriously improved versus the team that got pushed around against Towson to open the year last season. I don't think we will see another QB that good all year, including the ECU QB. Hill was simply outstanding.

Reaction Score
Tale of the Tape– Cochran or Whitmer ... New Husky offensive wrinkles ... who played best along the offensive line..

Thanks AC for the time and effort. Very worthwhile and enlightening to read the breakdown, especially the o-line. Couldn't help but think of Andreas Knappe. Any word on return or still week to week?

Reaction Score
I have to admit I am feeling way down on the coaches. I just can't get my head around the central controversy.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That was an excellent piece by the UConn Blog.

The fact were doing this two qb system again vs Stony Brook is lunacy.

Reaction Score
That was an excellent piece by the UConn Blog.

The fact were doing this two qb system again vs Stony Brook is lunacy.

Honestly against Stony Brook who cares? If we don't handle them by 3 or 4 scores we're in a world of sheet.

Boise is a winnable game. If I see 50 guys playing against Boise I will lose my mind. The major gripe I have is burning the RS's of Rutherford and Crozier. I ripped P when they played Samra, so I'll be consistent there. And if those 2 are better than kids like Schafenacker & Rugg we have a serious hole in our roster.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@Jimmy Serrano Fair point about SB. If we don't blow them out then we have bigger problems than our sub patterns.

I'm just so frustrated. I was SO pumped for the game even knowing we weren't going to win, just to see some logical and competent football again. Feel like I just watched another P/GDL game.

Reaction Score
Are those redshirts officially burned already? I thought they had until game three to get some minimal playing time and still redshirt?

I thought Carrezola looked decent on the edge trying to generate pressure.

Reaction Score
Are those redshirts officially burned already? I thought they had until game three to get some minimal playing time and still redshirt? .

Not 100% without going to find the cite but it has always been my understanding that if you play one play in one game it blows your redshirt, unless there ends up being a medical exemption request which is tied to 25% of games in a season.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Great analysis of the nuance of the game. Nicely done.

I'm good with two QBs for now but do not change mid-drive.
^ This. But you have to wonder how CW's inclination to bolt the pocket or drop back 10 yds at the first sign of pressure can be corrected, especially since that's been his M.O. as a Husky and the reality of our very inexperienced O line. I know we're one injury away from having only one QB. However, unless CW can suck it up and stay in the pocket under pressure, I think the 51/49 QB sharing experiment needs to end or change significantly to emphasize CC as the primary and CW as the back up if/when needed. Hopefully, though, CW and the O line show big improvements on Sat. but I still think we're going to need 1 primary QB going into the Boise game and conference play for game continuity.

Reaction Score

Very nice! Is there a similar breakdown for the Husky defense?

Reaction Score
Diaco has a formula that got him a lot of success and player enthusiasm by playing a lot of players. in a few years we are going to have a lot of players with live snaps. Lets give this coach three years at least before we hang him. No he did not coach Friday's game like the super bowl. He is the coach I am sure he knew he omitted time outs and lack of blitzing and lack of a hurry up. I really believe it was all intentional

Reaction Score
Srqhusky said:
Diaco has a formula that got him a lot of success and player enthusiasm by playing a lot of players. in a few years we are going to have a lot of players with live snaps. Lets give this coach three years at least before we hang him. No he did not coach Friday's game like the super bowl. He is the coach I am sure he knew he omitted time outs and lack of blitzing and lack of a hurry up. I really believe it was all intentional

Who wants to hang him except for 1 poster? He had a very bad coaching debut. He is a rookie head coach. We know he is going to have some growing pains. I am just looking for improvement week to week from him. He got off to a poor start.

Reaction Score
Honestly against Stony Brook who cares? If we don't handle them by 3 or 4 scores we're in a world of sheet.

Boise is a winnable game. If I see 50 guys playing against Boise I will lose my mind. The major gripe I have is burning the RS's of Rutherford and Crozier. I ripped P when they played Samra, so I'll be consistent there. And if those 2 are better than kids like Schafenacker & Rugg we have a serious hole in our roster.

According to the blog, Rutherford and Crozier were the only backup O Linemen through an otherwise busy substitution turnstile. I don't want to think about OL injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom