A Boneyarder needs a life saving gift. | The Boneyard

A Boneyarder needs a life saving gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I received an email a couple of weeks ago with a unique request from a long-time Boneyarder. He'd like to remain anonymous, but please do give this a read.....

I'm a UConn alum from the Class of 1971. I'm married, I have children and grandchildren.

I'm also longtime Boneyarder. I am a long-time season-ticker holder even though I live out of state. I've been to all the Final Fours, regionals, sub-regionals and even Maui. I've followed the Huskies all over the country. Like all of you, I love the Huskies.

I hope to follow them for years to come - I even have hopes of seeing them leave this wretched conference!

But I have a problem.

I recently learned I have a serious kidney disease called FSGS, Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis.

It is the same kidney disease that affected Sean Elliott and Alonzo Mourning. And like Mourning and Elliott, the ultimate outcome for me is kidney failure.

There are no drugs I can take and no treatments that will prevent that eventuality. In order to survive, I will need a kidney transplant.

My name has been placed on several donor lists at various hospitals, including Yale-New Haven Hospital, but the wait for a donor kidney could be five years or even more. I will have to go on dialysis during the waiting period which is a living nightmare.

However, with a live donor, the transplant can be performed in a matter of months.

What I'm asking for is the gift of a lifetime. What I am asking for is a chance to see my grandchildren grow up. And what I'm asking for is the chance, again, to live long enough to see UConn escape this wretched conference!

It's hard to put this into words, but will you save my life by donating a kidney? If you're willing to do the good deed of a lifetime, or if you know someone who might or even if you want to know more about how the process would work, please call me at 201-562-1046 and leave me a message.

Thank you for reading.

Reaction Score
I received an email a couple of weeks ago with a unique request from a long-time Boneyarder. He'd like to remain anonymous, but please do give this a read.....

I'm a UConn alum from the Class of 1971. I'm married, I have children and grandchildren.

I'm also longtime Boneyarder. I am a long-time season-ticker holder even though I live out of state. I've been to all the Final Fours, regionals, sub-regionals and even Maui. I've followed the Huskies all over the country. Like all of you, I love the Huskies.

I hope to follow them for years to come - I even have hopes of seeing them leave this wretched conference!

But I have a problem.

I recently learned I have a serious kidney disease called FSGS, Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis.

It is the same kidney disease that affected Sean Elliott and Alonzo Mourning. And like Mourning and Elliott, the ultimate outcome for me is kidney failure.

There are no drugs I can take and no treatments that will prevent that eventuality. In order to survive, I will need a kidney transplant.

My name has been placed on several donor lists at various hospitals, including Yale-New Haven Hospital, but the wait for a donor kidney could be five years or even more. I will have to go on dialysis during the waiting period which is a living nightmare.

However, with a live donor, the transplant can be performed in a matter of months.

What I'm asking for is the gift of a lifetime. What I am asking for is a chance to see my grandchildren grow up. And what I'm asking for is the chance, again, to live long enough to see UConn escape this wretched conference!

It's hard to put this into words, but will you save my life by donating a kidney? If you're willing to do the good deed of a lifetime, or if you know someone who might or even if you want to know more about how the process would work, please call me at 201-562-1042 and leave me a message.

Thank you for reading.

I hope you get what you are looking for God-willing.

Reaction Score

But I have a problem.

It's hard to put this into words, but will you save my life by donating a kidney? If you're willing to do the good deed of a lifetime, or if you know someone who might or even if you want to know more about how the process would work, please call me at 201-562-1042 and leave me a message.

Thank you for reading.

If he hasn't already done so, tell him to share it all over Facebook...I registered to be tested for four people who needed kidneys (all had posted on Facebook) and I never even made it to the testing phase because they already found matches.

Reaction Score
I have no advice just hope that he will get the transplant he needs.

Reaction Score
This is really heart breaking because it is unnecessary. Kidneys could be easily procured if there was a well-regulated market that bought and sold organs. This exists in some countries and Canada is looking into starting such a market. Because of a silly moral taboo, thousands are in the situation described above. I sincerely hope the person in this thread receives the kidney he needs.

Reactions: pj

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Personally, I am a little ashamed that I wouldn't consider this. Any of us could, potentially, help this colleague. Given the anonymity of the poster and my own personal obligations, I won't and that's a little sad. I have prayed for you, though, and I am sorry that I can't won't do more. I truly hope things work out for you.

Reaction Score
Personally, I am a little ashamed that I wouldn't consider this. Any of us could, potentially, help this colleague. Given the anonymity of the poster and my own personal obligations, I won't and that's a little sad. I have prayed for you, though, and I am sorry that I can't won't do more. I truly hope things work out for you.
Well I'm going to try again...I have 2 healthy kidneys and zero history of kidney disease in my family. It's worth a shot.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If he hasn't already done so, tell him to share it all over Facebook...I registered to be tested for four people who needed kidneys (all had posted on Facebook) and I never even made it to the testing phase because they already found matches.

That is great advice - thank you.

Quite note for everyone...the phone number has changed from 201-562-1042 to 201-562-1046.

If anyone has called or given out the old number, the new extension will work better - it's monitored on weekends.

Reaction Score
As a living organ donor I would encourage others to think about donating. I donated one of my kidneys to my brother in Feb. 2000 and 13 years later I have no ill side affects. Granted, donating to a family member is an easier decision, but you have the opportunity to save someone's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom