'99 team vs. St John's on SNY right now | The Boneyard

'99 team vs. St John's on SNY right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I take it this was the regular season matchup since we're #1. That game was amazing.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
That '99 team did not have as much individual talent as the current Huskies but man they had heart. Look at how many role players that team had.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
My favorite team to ever wear the Husky Blue!

Reaction Score
...such a solid bench. A little of everything...Rash Jones; who could play 3 positions, Mouring the scorer, Wane the big man, Saunders the young PF...even a D3 All-American type in Harrison.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Rashamel Jones was one of my all-time favorite Huskies. That guy did so many things for the team and was all about winning.

Reaction Score
Calhoun needs to sit this team down to watch some tape of the 99 team. Show them how a Huskies team is supposed to get after it.

Reaction Score
Lost my voice at that game.

Was that vs the Artest team in which the Huskies were down about 12 with about 7-8 minutes left and roared back? I was there on a bus trip and the place had over 10K Husky fanatics and was fun as hell...............

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I always use that game as my argument when I hear a St John's fan claim that they have a great following while we don't bring a lot of people to MSG. We outnumbered them 2-1 in that game and they have no excuse that they were in a bad spell (their major excuse for this past decade) and by the time there were six minutes left in that game (a supposed St John's home game no less) it sounded as if it was 85% UConn fans.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was there on a bus trip ...

So was I. A friend of a friend brought a guy who was sh1tfaced before he got on the bus. He passed out pre-game at the Blarney Stone, the bartender said to just leave him in the corner. Four minutes left in the game my buddy says, "C'mon we have to go get Johnny." "Bullsh1t" was my reply.

Reaction Score
So was I. A friend of a friend brought a guy who was sh1tfaced before he got on the bus. He passed out pre-game at the Blarney Stone, the bartender said to just leave him in the corner. Four minutes left in the game my buddy says, "C'mon we have to go get Johnny." "Bullsh1t" was my reply.

Was drinking McSorley's in there myself......great pre-game and Husky chants going on.......imagine your favorite Yankee fan was in your presence!!lol

Reaction Score
With all the fans chanting "Go UConn" this forced Jarvis to try to cut off the UConn fansticket supply for all MSG games. All he did was hurt the games attendance, plus Jarvis eventually ruined St John's hoops for years to come.

Reaction Score
Rashamel Jones was one of my all-time favorite Huskies. That guy did so many things for the team and was all about winning.
Yes.....he gave up his starting spot when we went small after Khalid joined the team....he played an entire game at PF when K Free was hurt helping to beat the Cuse at the Dome...the ultimate team guy. In 77-74, It was only fitting that when Langdon tripped to end the game, Rash ended up with the ball in his hands as the horn sounded...

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Goddam was that team good. When you think about how they went undefeated on the road/neutral sites and one of their two losses came without Rip and Voskuhl -- they weren't dominant every game but they knew how to win.

Reaction Score
Goddam was that team good. When you think about how they went undefeated on the road/neutral sites and one of their two losses came without Rip and Voskuhl -- they weren't dominant every game but they knew how to win.

You are mistaken. UCONN only lost once that year. If it wasn't for that freakin' game vs Miami... ;)

Reaction Score
That '99 team did not have as much individual talent as the current Huskies but man they had heart. Look at how many role players that team had.
Not sure i agree with the talent. Rip is better than anyone on this team and the guard tandem of KEL and Moore were better than what we have now. Freeman was a beast.

Reaction Score
I miss those days when UConn truly played the run and gun style.

There seemed to be a change, after the 04 Championship, to a much more Big Ten style of play. Has anyone else noticed this?

Not complaining though, even with the perceived change in style, we've added 3 Sweet Sixteens, 2 Elite Eights, 2 Final Fours, and 1 Championship since 05.

Reaction Score
You are mistaken. UCONN only lost once that year. If it wasn't for that freakin' game vs Miami... ;)

I'm almost certain we had 2 losses that year (can't recall who the 2nd loss came to). I distinctly remember Billy Packer and Jim Nantz talking about how rare it was to have a Championship game where the two teams combined for only 3 losses. Considering Duke only had 1 loss at that point, we had to have had another loss in the regular season.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I'm almost certain we had 2 losses that year (can't recall who the 2nd loss came to). I distinctly remember Billy Packer and Jim Nantz talking about how rare it was to have a Championship game where the two teams combined for only 3 losses. Considering Duke only had 1 loss at that point, we had to have had another loss in the regular season.
Alexd was implying that our first loss was an aberration since Rip and Jake had to sit out with injuries while the rest of our team was slapped around by Syracuse at the Civic Center. Unfortunately the record books still credit that loss to the full 1998-99 team ;)

Reaction Score
we BY'ers know the truth though....ONE loss.... :cool:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Did you feel the wind of alex's post whistling over your head? :D

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

Yeah, don't let those delusional SU fans say any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom