'95 v. '15 | The Boneyard

'95 v. '15

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
John A's Tulane game story notes a remark by Geno that his first NC team could beat the current one.

Don't know his intentions, but my reaction is quite skeptical. Sentamentality is fine, but the team today is so much more athletic that I can't see it.

Applying the time warp, I start with three virtually indisputable propositions:

• No one from '95 could remotely keep up with MoJet.
  • No one from '95 could remotely shoot like Kaleena.
  • No one from '95 could remotely match up with Stewie.
From that starting point I don't see how '95 has enough clear counter-advantages to dig out of the hole.

Not sure Lobo and Tuck could defend each other. Jamelle might muscle Morgan a bit, but would have a hard time stopping her post moves and couldn't supply comparable offense of her own.

Would like to see Kara trying to go over or around Kiah, who has quicker feet, much better timing and can actually jump.

Would like to see Jen trying to operate against the bigger, faster and ultra-tenacious Nurse.

I love the '95 group too, but the talent and the game at UConn have progressed since then.

The coach is even better.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
John A's Tulane game story notes a remark by Geno that his first NC team could beat the current one.

Don't know his intentions, but my reaction is quite skeptical. Sentamentalit is fine, but the team today is so much more athletic that I can't see it.

From that starting point I don't see how '95 has enough clear counter-advantages to dig out of the hole.

Not sure Lobo and Tuck could defend each other. Jamelle might muscle Morgan a bit, but would have a hard time stopping her post moves and couldn't supply comparable offense of her own.

Would like to see Kara trying to go over or around Kiah who has quicker feet, much better timing and can actually jump.

Would like to see Jen trying to operate against the bigger, faster and ultra-tenacious Nurse.

I love the '95 group too, but the talent and the game at UConn have progressed since then.

I'd love to see that Lobo vs. Stewie matchup.

Reaction Score

Don't know his intentions, but my reaction is quite skeptical. Sentamentality is fine, but the team today is so much more athletic that I can't see it.

Would like to see Kara trying to go over or around Kiah, who has quicker feet, much better timing and can actually jump.

I think it would be close. Lobo and Rizzotti were bona fide superstars, and would match up well with Stewie and Mo. Jamelle was a beast, and who the heck is gonna guard Wolters? Sales was the star freshman off the bench and was way ahead of where Gabby or Saniya are now. I think it would be a competitive game, with the '95 team having a great chance to win it. NWIH they would have lost to Stanford.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Bottom line, I refuse to have this conversation unless and until such time as this 2015 squad has won the program's historic 10th national championship.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, I refuse to have this conversation unless and until such time as this 2015 squad has won the program's historic 10th national championship.

Fair enough. How about '95 against last year's team ?

JS

Reaction Score
Lobo and Rizzotti were bona fide superstars, and would match up well with Stewie and Mo.
They were bona fide superstars for their day. Applying the time warp, though:

1. Rebecca v. Stewie in the halfcourt would be interesting. No way Rebecca keeps up running the floor. (Just picture the play where Stewie started in the corner near the baseline and blocked a layup at the other end by a player who'd stolen the ball near midcourt. That play would be nowhere near possible for Rebecca, who wouldn't even consider trying for it.)

2. To match up with Mo, Jen would have to catch her. She couldn't. Not nearly. And Mo's quickness on defense would drive Jen crazy.

Reaction Score
They were bona fide superstars for their day. Applying the tine warp, though:

1. Rebecca v. Stewie in the halfcourt would be interesting. No way Rebecca keeps up running the floor. (Just picture the play where Stewie started in the corner near the baseline and blocked a layup at the other end by a player who'd stolen the ball near midcourt. That play would be nowhere near possible for Rebecca, who wouldn't even consider trying for it.)

2. To match up with Mo, Jen would have to catch her. She couldn't. Not nearly. And Mo's quickness on defense would drive Jen crazy.
I think Wolters would be the equalizer though. If the '95 team could keep it pretty much a half-court game, throw it in to Kara down low, they might have a chance. Sales could just about about match Mo's quickness, with a lot more thickness.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Jen vs. Kia tilts in favor of Jen.
Nykesha vs. Mo. Close.
Jamelle vs. KLM. Also close.
Rebecca vs. Breanna. Rebecca would do an okay job on Breanna defensively.
Kara vs. Tuck/Kiah. Kara has it offensively. Tuck could draw Kara out of the paint when on offense.

'15 would have a lot of difficulty scoring inside.

Reaction Score
If they played in a time warp this team wins because of the athleticism and shooting. They've practiced all their lives regarding the 3.

As far as the greater team - it is imo without question the 1995 team. They are undefeated - regardless of what 2015 does- an undefeated season is "better" in my book.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I wonder if Kara or Rebecca will chime in on this? My gut says no, as once again Geno is playing Master Manipulator with his players.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Thanks Danny K...

10968298_840664855991776_8106879681615152918_n.jpg

Reaction Score
Wolters and Lobo would be on oxygen by the end of the first quarter.
Because Geno didn't believe in conditioning back then?? These were legitimate All American thorobreds. It's not like there's a steroid era now in WBB. We had highly skilled and well conditioned athletes 20 years ago. IMO Lobo & Wolters would make a "pick your poison" duo which would be difficult for this year's team to defend.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Love the picture, but could someone supply the names, left to right.... (they are all about 43, right?)
Left to Right:
Sarah Northway, Kelly Hunt, Kara Wolters, Brenda Marquis, Pam Webber, Rebecca Lobo, Missy Rose, Jill Gelfenbien, Kim Better, Meghan Pattyson. Covered in this thread (with link to some video)

Reaction Score
The 2015 team didn't become the 2015 team until Morgan and Kia moved into the lineup. The current 2015 team would not have lost to Stanford.

Reaction Score
The 2015 team didn't become the 2015 team until Morgan and Kia moved into the lineup. The current 2015 team would not have lost to Stanford.

I guess we look at things differently. For me- this team this season had to "learn"" how to become the 2015 team. They had to learn it by defeat. The 95 Team knew of no defeat. They didn't have to "learn" like this team had to. Thus the 95 team is greater for me. None of this stuff can be proven. Fun to talk about though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If the '15 shoots like they did the other day, the '95 team goes down. OTOH, the '95 team wins a rockfight, they would kill this team on the boards. But if I had to bet one game, it would be on the team with the best player, Stewie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom