#9 UConn v. Butler Bulldogs @Elliot Ballpark (Friday 5/12/23 @6:05p, Saturday 5/13/23 @2:05p & Sunday 5/14/23 @Noon). All games on UConn+/Mixlr | Page 8 | The Boneyard

#9 UConn v. Butler Bulldogs @Elliot Ballpark (Friday 5/12/23 @6:05p, Saturday 5/13/23 @2:05p & Sunday 5/14/23 @Noon). All games on UConn+/Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As of this moment, Miami’s loss to Pitt moves us back to 16 in the RPI. We’ve stayed at the edge through 3 of 4 games this week where winning keeps us flat and losing would destroy us. One more to get through the week.

Reaction Score
Huber just missed 9 games w/ plantar fasciitis. Yesterday was his first game back - he has a .983 Fielding % before today. He has saved more errors than he has committed over the past two years.
I had plantar fasciitis last fall. Granted, I'm about three times Huber's age, but that was extremely painful, and it took me about to two months to walk without a limp.

On another note, what in the world was going on with all the stoppages. They appeared to call a balk at one point (pitcher didn't come to a full set?) and they appeared to award a ball to a UConn hitter. Is there a time clock in college baseball?

Reaction Score
On another note, what in the world was going on with all the stoppages. They appeared to call a balk at one point (pitcher didn't come to a full set?) and they appeared to award a ball to a UConn hitter. Is there a time clock in college baseball?
Yup and it was amended this year:

-> Under the rule, with runners on base, a pitcher will be required to start the motion of throwing a pitch or making a pickoff throw to avoid a clock violation.

Pitchers will be allowed one step-off or fake throw to a base per batter to reset the clock.

If a defensive player requests and is granted a timeout by an umpire, it would be treated the same as a step-off by the pitcher to reset the clock. Again, this will be allowed only once per batter.

If the 20-second clock expires without a pitch or pickoff throw being made, a ball will be added to the count.

Previously, pitchers received a warning for the first violation of the 20-second clock, and a ball was added to the count for any subsequent violations. Pitchers could make an unlimited number of step-offs or fake throws to reset the clock.

If the offense violates the 20-second clock, a strike still will be added to the count.<-

Reaction Score
No. Our split with them will be enhanced by their win. A loss to Villanova will hurt us.
We’ve played both teams so it’s kind of a wash in RPI land. Villanova win is +3.2 points on the Villanova side and -2.8 on BCs side. A BC win is -1.3 points on the Villanova side and +1.5 on BCs side. Given the negligible difference there I’m rooting for Nova this weekend

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> “We didn’t blow it thanks to Luke Broadhurst,” UConn head baseball coach Jim Penders said. “But it certainly looked that way. Fortunately Luke Broadhurst covered up those sins with an unbelievable swing; rose to the occasion. The kid’s got a whole bunch of courage and guts.” <-

Reaction Score
1) Good win. Desperately needed it. I'm not sure if Butler is playing well or if Uconn is making them look much better than an 11-40 team or a combo of both. Almost like Uconn needs to get a second wind. Almost like a horse needing to change leads.
2) The Huber play, if made, would have been a good (not great) play. Wasn't easy. Appears he's not 100% but I've watched Huber a lot and I ride with Ben Huber. The AB in the 9th shows you what he's made of.
3) Tammaro made a great stop and just got quick with it. He wasn't born a 3rd baseman. Maybe thought it had to rush it versus playing at 2B.
4) #2-#3 above I'm sure will be reviewed and discussed. First time the defense has really wobbled this year in a key spot. It happens these guys aren't paid pros.
5) I thought the waving of the towels by the crowd was outstanding. Happened organically as the game went on. Good stuff. Shame as the weather really gets better the home season is on the tail end. New England baseball.
6) There are some warning signs flashing (see #1 above) but this is a tough, gritty team and it helps in the postseason knowing you can come back. Very likable team. SQuigs outing is an example. Could have gone off the tracks a few times and he salvaged it.
7) Became a fan of Randy Brochu today. Called the game on his own and did a great job. Not an easy thing to do with a baseball game. Props to Jonesy too.

Reaction Score
These wins against bottom feeders are killing our RPI. Down again. The one, and only, UConn program hurt by leaving the AAC for the Big East (aka Least in baseball).
The AAC is currently 10th in RPI while the Big East is 12th. Other than ECU, their highest rated team is Houston at 89, who will be leaving next year.

At this point, the big east is a wash.

Reaction Score
The AAC is currently 10th in RPI while the Big East is 12th. Other than ECU, their highest rated team is Houston at 89, who will be leaving next year.

At this point, the big east is a wash.
To make an obvious point, not that staying in the AAC for all sports was a choice, but if we were still in the AAC the Big East would be below 12th and the AAC would be better than 10th. That having been said, the AAC was as high as sixth in our last few years. It’s not having a good year before being destroyed. The Big East will never reach that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom