Men - #9 UConn @Creighton Bluejays (Thurs. 5/18/23 @7p (EST), Fri. 5/19/23 @7p & Sat. 5/20/23 @1p) Thursday on FS1/Mixlr > Fri./Sat. on FloSports/Mixlr. | The Boneyard

Men #9 UConn @Creighton Bluejays (Thurs. 5/18/23 @7p (EST), Fri. 5/19/23 @7p & Sat. 5/20/23 @1p) Thursday on FS1/Mixlr > Fri./Sat. on FloSports/Mixlr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to the Game Notes posted on the UConn Athletics website for the coming series against Creighton, there is no change in the weekend starting rotation. I am not surprised at this, as UConn baseball hardly has a surplus of reliable bullpen arms either.

Thursday - Andrew Sears
Friday - Stephen Quigley
Saturday - Ian Cooke

Reaction Score
According to the Game Notes posted on the UConn Athletics website for the coming series against Creighton, there is no change in the weekend starting rotation. I am not surprised at this, as UConn baseball hardly has a surplus of reliable bullpen arms either.

Thursday - Andrew Sears
Friday - Stephen Quigley
Saturday - Ian Cooke

Creighton Game Notes for UConn

Thursday - Ryan Windham (RHP)
Friday - Dominic Cancellieri (RHP)
Saturday - Justin Kleinsorge (RHP)

Creighton current RPI = 134

Reaction Score

Thursday - Andrew Sears
Friday - Stephen Quigley
Saturday - Ian Cooke
I understand the reluctance to experiment this late in the season. But we’re going nowhere without changes to the rotation. We might very well go nowhere even with change to the rotation, but we won’t know that until we try it. Sigh.

Penders is a great coach overall, but this just screams stubbornness.

Reaction Score
I understand the reluctance to experiment this late in the season. But we’re going nowhere without changes to the rotation. We might very well go nowhere even with change to the rotation, but we won’t know that until we try it. Sigh.

Penders is a great coach overall, but this just screams stubbornness.
With all due respect. From one just sitting in the jury box, does the plaintiff really know what the defendant is up against as far as talent and availability? Jim said awhile back that pitching is a problem. We obviously have a very respected pitching coach, has that gone out the door over night?
It's baseball and the team will go as far as the pitching will allow in the big picture, agreed. Would one possible forward the suggested rotation changes to the head coach asap, or just make it a Boneyard statement?
I rest my case ..... With all good meaning and grace. :)

Reaction Score
With all due respect. From one just sitting in the jury box, does the plaintiff really know what the defendant is up against as far as talent and availability? Jim said awhile back that pitching is a problem. We obviously have a very respected pitching coach, has that gone out the door over night?
It's baseball and the team will go as far as the pitching will allow in the big picture, agreed. Would one possible forward the suggested rotation changes to the head coach asap, or just make it a Boneyard statement?
I don’t just understand, but fully agree, that Penders is in a much better position than any fan to estimate what changes to the rotation might bring us. I am in any sport extremely reluctant to second guess coaches on personnel matters.

But this I know because we have sixty games of evidence at this point — we aren’t going anywhere if this is the three man rotation we go into the post-season with. If Penders still things no change is our best shot, so be it, but no change isn’t getting us where we want to go. Starting, say Quincey first and then Coe, if he happens to have a day where he can find the plate, gives us a chance to get 11 innings out of starters the first two days. Cooke has a batting average against of .296. I love seeing a New Milford kid have success, and he was great last year, but there is no reason to think this is getting better in the next few weeks. None. It’s different than starting someone who struggles with control but gets folks out when he finds the zone. That pitcher can have a day where he can find the zone,.

Reaction Score
Even great coaches can be late with change. I consider Penders a great coach and I don't throw around the word "great" often. So huge respect there. Since February (50 games) he's shuffled the rotation but hasn't changed its components. Cookie has not had a good/quality start since March against UMBC. The data is pretty clear on that have a look if you have doubts. Penders also probably believes in these guys and thinks they are capable of better. That being said if Cookie goes out there and gives you another outing of ~3 IPs and 4-5 ERs I think it's tough to make the case of starting him in BE tourney. Also, I don't like criticizing players and don't mean it to come off that way. As I've said before these guys aren't professionals they are college players working hard and doing the best they can. I'm trying to use data to support a viewpoint. I still think Cookie can be an asset out of the bullpen and a very important piece of the pitching staff in that role. By the way, if the SP can't get it done this weekend then that's even a bigger warning sign flashing against a team that's hitting .257 with 34 HRs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even great coaches can be late with change. I consider Penders a great coach and I don't throw around the word "great" often. So huge respect there. Since February (50 games) he's shuffled the rotation but hasn't changed its components. Cookie has not had a good/quality start since March against UMBC. The data is pretty clear on that have a look if you have doubts. Penders also probably believes in these guys and thinks they are capable of better. That being said if Cookie goes out there and gives you another outing of ~3 IPs and 4-5 ERs I think it's tough to make the case of starting him in BE tourney. Also, I don't like criticizing players and don't mean it to come off that way. As I've said before these guys aren't professionals they are college players working hard and doing the best they can. I'm trying to use data to support a viewpoint. I still think Cookie can be an asset out of the bullpen and a very important piece of the pitching staff in that role. By the way, if the SP can't get it done this weekend then that's even a bigger warning sign flashing against a team that's hitting .257 with 34 HRs.

Another thing that is hurting the pitching staff is the lack of quality depth. I can understand the coaching staff staying with the current rotation. At this point the bullpen as short staffed it is in pitchers that the coaching staff is willing to trust, it still does the job. If you take guys out of the bullpen and put them in a starting role, you are diminishing the bullpen. It is a trade off, pure and simple. Bullpen will be a lot better off it they can get some decent innings out of Sears and Stephen Quigley (not going to say anything further at this point about Cooke).

I would have liked to see some of the lesser used pitchers such as Mike Quigley and others get more of a chance during the regular season to help stretch out the pitching depth. However, the coaching staff saw those guys a lot more then we all did in practice and scrimmages, and thus made the decision on not to used them so much.

Obviously, having a couple more pitchers around that the coaching staff feels they could depend on would make it easier to make changes in the starting rotation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another thing that is hurting the pitching staff is the lack of quality depth. I can understand the coaching staff staying with the current rotation. At this point the bullpen as short staffed it is in pitchers that the coaching staff is willing to trust, it still does the job. If you take guys out of the bullpen and put them in a starting role, you are diminishing the bullpen. It is a trade off, pure and simple. Bullpen will be a lot better off it they can get some decent innings out of Sears and Stephen Quigley (not going to say anything further at this point about Cooke).

I would have liked to see some of the lesser used pitchers such as Mike Quigley and others get more of a chance during the regular season to help stretch out the pitching depth. However, the coaching staff saw those guys a lot more then we all did in practice and scrimmages, and thus made the decision on not to used them so much.

Obviously, having a couple more pitchers around that the coaching staff feels they could depend on would make it easier to make changes in the starting rotation.
Understand the trade-off argument but also you can't fear change when change can be warranted. I haven't been talking wholesale changes just a tweak. Perhaps by moving say Cookie to the bullpen you may find your closer for next year. Not probable but possible. Roles can change. See Chase Burns at Tennessee. He was getting lit up in March. Look at what he's done since they took him out of the starting rotation (last 14 innings 2 ERs). This is a guy who started a super regional game last year. The thought of having him come out of the bullpen in February would have been seen as ludicrous. Agree with your points on MQuigs. I will say this: if the performance of the SP does not change we are all going to be having a big sweat selection Monday for an at-large bid.

Reaction Score

In previous seasons the coaching staff was certainly more willing to move pitchers in and out of the starting rotation. Of course, in those cases when a weekend starter was removed from starting games, whoever was replacing him had usually shown some quality starts during midweek games.

Reaction Score
In previous seasons the coaching staff was certainly more willing to move pitchers in and out of the starting rotation. Of course, in those cases when a weekend starter was removed from starting games, whoever was replacing him had usually shown some quality starts during midweek games.
One key assumption you're making (which I'm not) is one of the starters goes to the bullpen and doesn't contribute at all in the new role and you're not backfilling the bullpen. I'm more optimistic hence my Chase Burns example. He is now helping Tennessee in a big way versus say March when he was a liability. He's found himself a new role where he can contribute. We'll see what happens this weekend hopefully this discussion (although good) is moot and these guys find themselves.

Reaction Score
Understand the trade-off argument but also you can't fear change when change can be warranted. I haven't been talking wholesale changes just a tweak. Perhaps by moving say Cookie to the bullpen you may find your closer for next year. Not probable but possible. Roles can change. See Chase Burns at Tennessee. He was getting lit up in March. Look at what he's done since they took him out of the starting rotation (last 14 innings 2 ERs). This is a guy who started a super regional game last year. The thought of having him come out of the bullpen in February would have been seen as ludicrous. Agree with your points on MQuigs. I will say this: if the performance of the SP does not change we are all going to be having a big sweat selection Monday for an at-large bid.

One other thing, in the post season unless a team wins every game in a post season weekend, a team is going to need a fourth starter. I suspect for UConn it would be Jack Sullivan, but that would also depend on how the bullpen gets used prior to the fourth game.

It seems Coach Penders and company have pretty much indicated what path they are going to take concerning the pitching staff. I'm inclined to think they are a bit more knowledge on their pitching staff then most of us fans do, at least definitely me.

I suspect that if the pitching staff had a bit more depth to it in terms of pitchers the coaching staff was willing to trust, then changes would have already been made to the starting rotation. In previous seasons there were a number of instances where a pitcher was taken out of the starting rotation during the course of the season, usually by someone who had good showings during midweek starts. At this point I suspect everyone agrees that the starting rotation is broken, my suspicion is that the coaching staff does not want to have a broken bullpen crew as well.

If UConn takes the Creighton series and gets to the Big East finals, I would expect UConn would probably still be in good shape for an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. UConn is playing the Creighton games on the road, and in the case of the Big East Tourney, neutral sites (maybe playing Xavier would count as a road game). Also, UConn will not be playing teams having a 200+ RPI, so that should help as well. Of course, a selection of one team for an at large bid is not done in isolation, it also depends on the performance of other teams.

Certainly would help UConn to stay in the winners bracket in the Big East Tourney for the first 2 games, and then have Friday off to give everyone a rest for the final game(s) on Saturday. That is always the case, but even more so with the problems UConn pitching has had this season.

Have to say in years past in following UConn baseball, I became quite a fan of UConn starting pitchers going 6+ innings a game. Certainly hasn't happened as much this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

<David Smith is expected to be back in the lineup on Thursday after missing four games due to injury. With the team captain back in the lineup, the Huskies will have its Opening Day lineup fully healthy for the first time since March 3 at FAU.>

If David Smith does play this weekend, that is certainly a good thing for this team.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Was in the car last night listening to Sirius Radio College Baseball show. They talked about a team that would be an at large bid not burning its pitching out to win a conference championship and getting the AQ Bid. If hosting is gone(which depending on other events is not), Penders has to decide how to manage this last weekend and then the Big East tournament. He will need all hands on deck to win and shutting down Cooke or Sullivan takes 2 potential weapons out. It is a fine line but this weekend is the end of exam prep in some ways. Next week we know who has a chance to help and who can't. If we are getting blown out of a game early, you could see someone take one for the team to get to the next day. It happens all the time.

On the flipside, I remember a few years ago, Colby Dunlop barely pitched until we needed him in the NCAA tournament and then he provided a gem.

My hope is that Sears has a great start to get the momentum flowing again. That would be manna from heaven at this point. Quigs needs to be Quigs and then I don't know what to expect from Cooke. Winning this weekend and the Big East regular season would keep us on point.

Reaction Score
One key assumption you're making (which I'm not) is one of the starters goes to the bullpen and doesn't contribute at all in the new role and you're not backfilling the bullpen. I'm more optimistic hence my Chase Burns example. He is now helping Tennessee in a big way versus say March when he was a liability. He's found himself a new role where he can contribute. We'll see what happens this weekend hopefully this discussion (although good) is moot and these guys find themselves.
I actually think Cooke's stuff could really play up in the bullpen. He seems to have two strong pitches (FB/CB) and ramping up the intensity for an inning or too could give another power weapon out of the bullpen.

Reaction Score
I assume if we go 15-5 and Xavier is 16-5 that Xavier still is considered top seed even though we beat them 2 out of 3?

Reaction Score
Was in the car last night listening to Sirius Radio College Baseball show. They talked about a team that would be an at large bid not burning its pitching out to win a conference championship and getting the AQ Bid. If hosting is gone(which depending on other events is not), Penders has to decide how to manage this last weekend and then the Big East tournament. He will need all hands on deck to win and shutting down Cooke or Sullivan takes 2 potential weapons out. It is a fine line but this weekend is the end of exam prep in some ways. Next week we know who has a chance to help and who can't. If we are getting blown out of a game early, you could see someone take one for the team to get to the next day. It happens all the time.

On the flipside, I remember a few years ago, Colby Dunlop barely pitched until we needed him in the NCAA tournament and then he provided a gem.

My hope is that Sears has a great start to get the momentum flowing again. That would be manna from heaven at this point. Quigs needs to be Quigs and then I don't know what to expect from Cooke. Winning this weekend and the Big East regular season would keep us on point.
The thought that these kids don't care about winning a conference championship -- regular season or tournament -- is truly dumb. UConn baseball does not play all season saying national championship or bust. Each of the next two weekends is extremely important to the players.

Reaction Score
I assume if we go 15-5 and Xavier is 16-5 that Xavier still is considered top seed even though we beat them 2 out of 3?

I would think that would be the case. Figured all along the race for the top of the Big East would likely be a close one, which is why I was not thrilled when the last game UConn had against Villanova had to be cancelled. UConn was playing pretty well at the time, so in my mind it was a likely win that the Huskies did not get. Of course, I've said it a bunch of times before, but sweeps are tough to pull off.

Reaction Score
I actually think Cooke's stuff could really play up in the bullpen. He seems to have two strong pitches (FB/CB) and ramping up the intensity for an inning or too could give another power weapon out of the bullpen.

Considering this discussion on Cooke, it will be interesting to see how Cooke is used during the summer ball season coming up (assuming he plays this summer). It would probably be a precursor towards his use at UConn for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom