8,183 | The Boneyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe someone already knows, but it feels like it's been a long time since the announced attendance at the XL Center for a scheduled regular season game hit this kind of low (I think the first AAC tourney game 2 years ago may have been announced lower).

It's crazy to think about what the atmosphere was like 20 years ago compared to today.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Maybe someone already knows, but it feels like it's been a long time since the announced attendance at the XL Center for a scheduled regular season game hit this kind of low (I think the first AAC tourney game 2 years ago may have been announced lower).

It's crazy to think about what the atmosphere was like 20 years ago compared to today.
It was embarrassing. I was sitting 7 rows up, and there was no one in my row until two guys sat right next to us. Then we just moved down to another empty row. The upper rafters were barren.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UNH and Fordham 2011-12.

Reaction Score
These northeast teams that wanted to play football in a southern conference has ruined it for all of us.

I was there it was maybe 35-40% filled

It got me thinking to another game where I sat up high in a packed XL. It was a big east Monday game between us and Pitt where Thabeet was thrown over DuJuan Blairs shoulder or whoever that Pitt dude was.

So sad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UNH and Fordham 2011-12.

According to the UConn website - those games were in 2012-2013

They announced 8,705 for New Hampshire
They announced 10,265 for Fordham

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
According to the UConn website - those games were in 2012-2013

They announced 8,705 for New Hampshire
They announced 10,265 for Fordham

Close

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Can you really blame the fans though?

We have had every semblance of a rivalry, which is the lifeblood of college sports, ripped away from us due to no fault of our own. To expect fans to keep showing up to games against teams they have never heard of, and not even beating these teams regularly, is a hard order in a pro sports region.

Reaction Score
It's depressing but you don't have to squint too hard to see the 30 for 30 on UConn athletics some years down the road..
I'm sure those Syracuse douches already have it 90% complete, like how famous people have their obits already penned by the newspapers before they are in the ground

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'm sure those Syracuse douches already have it 90% complete, like how famous people have their obits already penned by the newspapers before they are in the ground
The same guys who made the "Requiem for the Big East" 30 for 30 probably made it concurrently with the ridiculous snub from that piece of work.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There was a time when we got sick of walking up the stairs to Row V so we just started sitting in that upper deck above where the bar is now. One year they started checking stubs to make sure you actually had a seat there. They don't do that anymore.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can you really blame the fans though?

We have had every semblance of a rivalry, which is the lifeblood of college sports, ripped away from us due to no fault of our own. To expect fans to keep showing up to games against teams they have never heard of, and not even beating these teams regularly, is a hard order in a pro sports region.

I wasn't blaming anyone. I'm part of the problem in theory. I used to go to every game at the XL Center - now I go maybe 4-5 times a year. I actually would have gone tonight but my wife is out of town so I was delivering kids to activities when it started.

In person there is so much dead time and the game presentation is so stale - this number isn't going to be the bottom.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There was a time when we got sick of walking up the stairs to Row V so we just started sitting in that upper deck above where the bar is now. One year they started checking stubs to make sure you actually had a seat there. They don't do that anymore.

I still sit there and did even when I had season tickets that were better seats. Quick access to the bar and you get your own bathroom now.

Reaction Score
Maybe you should stop whining about other's cable plans and go to the games.

Reaction Score

You look around the country and every other name program is playing another name program in a made for TV matchup. It's kind of hard to get up for an unwatchable decimated UConn squad playing BU. If we were playing a name program the place would be full. It is what it is

Reaction Score
Maybe you should stop whining about other's cable plans and go to the games.
Didn't realize Whaler is local. If he really lives in Connecticut and is not going to games after b----ing about others tonight then he should zip it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You look around the country and every other name program is playing another name program in a made for TV matchup. It's kind of hard to get up for an unwatchable decimated UConn squad playing BU. If we were playing a name program the place would be full. It is what it is

Yes, and I wasn't trying to say that the issue is unique to UConn. FSU has a good team and they played in front of NO ONE at home against Minnesota on Monday. I was watching LSU last night and the building was completely empty (the game was about the quality of intramural basketball).

The thing is it wasn't THAT long ago when teams that weren't NCAA tournament teams would still have 14-15k in the building for a Fairfield.

It's an epidemic across the sport. A handful of teams now get the top recruits - 95% of the teams play a version of the game that isn't entertaining and the nature of March means that the regular season is meaningless for everyone but 15 bubble teams.

This isn't old man yells at cloud: The sport was a better watch 15-20 years ago.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Didn't realize Whaler is local. If he really lives in Connecticut and is not going to games after b----ing about others tonight then he should zip it.

Maybe you dopes should read the post where I said I'm part of the problem? We'll see if y'all drag yourselves down to MSG on a Monday night to drop more than a few hundred bucks on a drubbing.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It was a morgue and people tried to stay positive but man at the end especially people wanted to poke their eyes out.

The last 7 minutes took 35 minutes

Reaction Score
Maybe you dopes should read the post where I said I'm part of the problem? We'll see if y'all drag yourselves down to MSG on a Monday night to drop more than a few hundred bucks on a drubbing.
Maybe stop being a part of the problem and go instead of ripping on a guy for trying to find the game on TV with his dad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe stop being a part of the problem and go instead of ripping on a guy for trying to find the game on TV with his dad.

LOL - I didn't go tonight because my father in law had a heart valve replacement this morning, I'll do better on Monday I promise. I didn't rip that guy BTW - I ripped the constant stream of posts from our so called die hard fans that refuse to do the simple thing and actually just get the stations that show the games.

BTW - If you are going to rip me - maybe you shouldn't be a handjob who tries to bully people into bets and then completely walks away when they lose. You have exactly zero ground to stand on if you want to try and rip people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom