722 players entered the portal -- TODAY. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

722 players entered the portal -- TODAY.

Reaction Score
From T.N.T College Football Podcast

About to be 1000 in portal!

High school recruits, there is about to be over a thousand players in the transfer portal. If you have an offer, you better take it before it's gone.
If there is that many players in the portal, should portal players take offers if they have them also?

Reaction Score
Why bother recruiting high school anymore
Honest question, I wonder how many players end up transferring to the coach or program that was a finalist recruiting them out of high school. I would think that would give you a leg up.

I think you are right and some programs will devote less resources into high school recruiting, in favor of recruiting transfers. I don’t see it as much different than programs that relied heavily on JUCO players, such as Bill Snyder at KSU.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Hopefully this calms down after the extra year of COVID eligibility runs its course. The part that I find most hilarious is the amount of money spent on NIL deals to get top high school players who decide to then transfer after not getting the expected playing time. UConn will lose some quality players who want to test the P5 waters, but is a good fit for P5 guys that are not pleased with their current situation. I do feel for the HS kids who are passed over for scholarships because of transfers. There will be more quality HS kids at the FCS and JUCO level because of the portal.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can not find a concise, simple explanation for what the transfer rules are. How many times can a player transfer without sitting out a season?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
nice hat, coach.
cl9iKdKnE1bxJ-dIgGSZQrqGVNxggJgXaL4bQz8Y34Liv7RqPHy9v95QEYaMyXn99oeECiJuECOW55Onm_gj4Jsx5IzPv5t2wXtUbv7e0hQWFDWdZJE_x0FRcurSgVC4cgQyVsc51G3e-6z0M4RcngU3-BIWwOBQQ_74AS8=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

that's all i got.
now, im hungry. seems like all that's around for 2nd lunch is some frozen burritos (8 fer 4bucks!). yeppers, we used to only have frozen burritos as portal choices, and now we get chateaubriand on the menu.
thanks, chef jim.

Reaction Score
Why bother recruiting high school anymore
Good point. Let the other teams fight over kids, train them, rehab their injuries while you focus on NIL Dollars, then scoop them up after you see how they develop or get stuck on the bench. For the top schools with money, they can still go after the top kids and let them compete. Recruiting will continue but the focus may change for some. It's about being efficient in the middle of an arms race. Tough to do.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I can not find a concise, simple explanation for what the transfer rules are. How many times can a player transfer without sitting out a season?
I think the second time you have to sit out a year (unless your coach leaves and you get a waiver).

Reaction Score
Once, without a waiver, but if you're going to "important" schools you can probably waiver at will..........
Edit: just saw the Shizzler's reponse so mine is redundant.

Reaction Score
I think the second time you have to sit out a year (unless your coach leaves and you get a waiver).
I think you can do it again if you're considered a grad transfer too. So 5th year guys...going for a "grad program not offered at your university"

Reaction Score
Good point. Spending more time and money evaluating and recruiting college kids and less time and money on high school kids will make more sense for many schools.
Eventually you're going to run out of college eligible players but it is interesting to see how perverse the incentives are getting

Edit: reality is if more leave then more spots have to be filled. That just means the question of where to spend the budget changes not so much the need to recruit the same number of players

Reaction Score
The big programs are still going to land all The Top 100 recruits.

The big programs will ensure that little ones won’t hold onto nice things.

Everyone else gets the things that the big guys don’t want anymore.

Reaction Score
Miami had a safety go into the portal, He had played at 4 different high schools, transferring around until his HS career was over. We're going to see guys playing for 4 different college programs, if we haven't already. Insanity.
Not sure about 4 but we are already seeing it in basketball with a number of guys who are on their 3rd school. But basketball has been far slimier than football for decades. The slime there is ubiquitous. Football has been limited to certain schools and leagues. Now it is spreading though.

Reaction Score
He's joking, or is he.

Well between that and opt outs it could happen. Actually I think it is refreshing that a team like UConn seems truly pleased and excited to be going to a bowl. And playing on a Monday afternoon in Myrtle Beach is a great thing to them, not a disappointment.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
From T.N.T College Football Podcast

About to be 1000 in portal!

High school recruits, there is about to be over a thousand players in the transfer portal. If you have an offer, you better take it before it's gone.

My son has teammates that could have easily made a D1 roster in years past but teams just don't want to wait to develop a guy who's 18 unless he is a 4/5 star recruit and already reaching 20 as an incoming freshman. It is pretty sad and sickening for those kids who have to wait out the next 3 to 4 months to find out where they are going to school. They can't even apply anywhere yet because it is like throwing darts and hoping that one of these schools that are asking them to wait might come through.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking about kids that have dreamed of playing for elite programs but don't want to risk riding the pine for a few years and then getting recruited over. Why not take a shot at a lower program now that you can transfer whenever you want. So many angles and options but I think it's a perfect storm for UCONN: NFL Coach Mora, Transfer Portal, Chaos. I gotta wear shades.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom