612 Yards Allowed In A Monsoon | The Boneyard

612 Yards Allowed In A Monsoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Defense is grossly overrated. The Missouri game was the anomaly, not today.
Agree with you TD. (Also Missouri had trouble with Vanderbilt today.) Mizzou WAS THE ANOMALY or maybe their offense wasn't that good......
Not particularly caring for this "bend but don't break" philosophy. Realize Cincy is tremendously better than their record but..... the D allowed 600 plus yards this week, allowed USF offense to resemble & look like Ohio State at times, allowed 500 plus yards to BYU. I know the schedule has us facing a tough ECU team and unbeatens Houston and Temple but hope the pups turn it around soon.

Reaction Score
Agree that defense is over rated. The bend don't break defensive philosophy does not work for me either. Safeties play way too deep too. Too many deep passes the past few games where safeties are just not challenging receivers but allowing deep passes in front of them.

Reaction Score
It bent and broke foe the second consecutive week.

Problem the last 2 weeks is,the tackling has been deplorable. How many 20+ yd plays did we give up. We literally missed tackles that behind the line of scrimmage on 1st down that their backs went on to gain the necessary yardage to gain another first.

Diaco needs to,start cracking the whip. Just no excuse for that.

Honestly of the lbers only Joseph impresses me. The others are below average for what we have had here.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
If arm tackling was twerking, Miley Cyrus would be out of a job.

Reaction Score
Well ...

I'm disappointed that we can't tackle. We have no one who really lays the hammer at LB or S. Our edges are Uber weak. And there are lots of gaps as we play Zone & that kid Kiel showed Pro like accuracy.

Have we improved? Hell yeah. Did you watch last season?

Reaction Score
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how bad Molefonwu has done in coverage, he was getting picked on all game. I can't stand this bend don't break defense, we've been bending and breaking just about every game. It worked for Diaco at Notre Damn and one year at Cincinnati, but we don't bring in talent like they do. Hopefully they get this figured out soon.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how bad Molefonwu has done in coverage, he was getting picked on all game. I can't stand this bend don't break defense, we've been bending and breaking just about every game. It worked for Diaco at Notre Damn and one year at Cincinnati, but we don't bring in talent like they do. Hopefully they get this figured out soon.

He was called out twice on tv last night.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Exactly. We don't have the talent to get away with bend don't break, which was also Edsall's way. Our linemen and LBs include nobody the O lines have trouble with on a regular basis. The AAC is, right now, full of teams that move the ball well. I've felt for the last month that our O was ahead of the D anyway.

Reaction Score
Agree with you TD. (Also Missouri had trouble with Vanderbilt today.) Mizzou WAS THE ANOMALY or maybe their offense wasn't that good.
Not particularly caring for this "bend but don't break" philosophy. Realize Cincy is tremendously better than their record but..... the D allowed 600 plus yards this week, allowed USF offense to resemble & look like Ohio State at times, allowed 500 plus yards to BYU. I know the schedule has us facing a tough ECU team and unbeatens Houston and Temple but hope the pups turn it around soon.

LOL, REALLY? Please give me a break. Guess that "undefeated" comment has been forgotten. They will be lucky to get to 500. Said it before, will say it again, UC's decision to go "bigtime" college football was a mistake then and is clearly a mistake now. Say what you will to me, you cannot dispute the numbers..................AND NUMBER DON'T LIE.

Reaction Score
I said the defensive strategy against BYU was a disgrace and got roasted here. Some condescending called it "idiotic". I'm sorry but we cannot win games giving up over 500 yards of offense. We just can't. It's death by a thousand cuts.

I understand our liabilities in not being able to generate a pass rush but maybe we should blitz and see if our DB's are up to the task. I cannot watch another opposing QB stand in the pocket for 47 minutes and eventually find the wide open WR.

This is a loosing strategy.

Reaction Score
We don't have the athletes or the experience at this stage to stay with spread teams. What I find odd is that we have no pass rush, routinely line up a LB in space, not covering anyone-effectively helping neither run or pass - play our CBs off the ball, never pressing, and are lucky if the tv camera guy can back up far enough to get our Safeties in the shot. It would be one thing if we could create pressure in first 2 lines and play Dbs back, but we create pressure nowhere and simply hope the opposing O screws up. I hated Don Brown's D because it inevitably broke down when you needed it most, but at least I understood his philosophy. I've no clue what our D strategy is at the moment.

Reaction Score
Players are not finishing on tackles and there is no gang tackling (other than runs up middle). If runner gets near sidelines UConn guys just stop pursuing. It starts with no pass rush, the lineman look like they are guarding an area rather than rushing the passer, and give up on pass rush after few seconds as they know they can't get to QB and can't catch him if he starts to run.
Field is 53 1/3 yards wide, with the amount of time QB's have to pass there is no way a WR can't find a nice seam to pull up into against UConn's zone. There seems to be no recognition of the strengths of the other teams offensive schemes and how best to tweak UConn's defense to attack. There can be only so many bad passes, bad hikes, motion penalties, dropped balls, fumbles, holding penalties to stop an opponent.
Obi has zero ball skills. On one sequence of plays in the second half a long pass was completed in front of him and he didn't seem to react when the ball was in the air nor attempt to hit/dislodge/bat down the ball but just pulled the WR down as he was already falling; then few plays later Cin. ran a deep slant right in middle of field and a bad pass caused incompletion but Obi just stood there as the WR ran across in front of him.
Looks like the players know the schemes on defense don't work and are starting to get that WTF "body language" on defense.
My wife has been say'n it quacks, has feathers and a long beak so why don't you think its a duck - maybe she is right; the reason the team/schemes look so bad is because of the coaching. I've been fighting that conclusion, but not so much any more.
One last thing on defense, UConn always seems to be outnumbered at the point of attack. This is not only Navy and Army but against every team. Is it we are so afraid of the long pass we have too many back in coverage, read keys too slow, don't swarm to the ball, too wide deployment of players, drops to deep by LBs, CB's and S's, players are that slow? Are LB's that poor at tackling/coverage or are they asked to cover too much space and too fast/agile of WR's. Not just LSU and Michigan State type defenses look better than Uconn, just about every team looks better - meaning making offense earn each completion/yard and pay in bumps and bruises.
A QB that can pass will get 400 plus yards total offense against UConn, if he can run, only when they decide to shut down their offense will the offensive yards stop accumulating. Navy had 343 yds and shut down their offense 4th qtr, BYU 539, USF 461, Cin. 621.
It ain't workin'.

Reaction Score
Not sure where else to post this. I just read that Baylor had a season low in points and yards yesterday. They scored 45 points and had 485 yds of offense.

Season lows? :eek:

Granted the meat of their schedule is coming up, I just wonder what it's like to follow a team like that.

Reaction Score
Hate the scheme of not trying to pressure the quarterback. Rather give up a play because of blitzing, not soft coverage and missed assignments

Reaction Score
We don't have the athletes or the experience at this stage to stay with spread teams. What I find odd is that we have no pass rush, routinely line up a LB in space, not covering anyone-effectively helping neither run or pass - play our CBs off the ball, never pressing, and are lucky if the tv camera guy can back up far enough to get our Safeties in the shot. It would be one thing if we could create pressure in first 2 lines and play Dbs back, but we create pressure nowhere and simply hope the opposing O screws up. I hated Don Brown's D because it inevitably broke down when you needed it most, but at least I understood his philosophy. I've no clue what our D strategy is at the moment.

D. Brown's defense was/is fun to watch. I hate BC with a passion, but I find myself watching them almost every weekend because of D. Brown. You don't need 4 or 5 star players to thrive in his defense and that's what I appreciate.

Reaction Score
Players are not finishing on tackles and there is no gang tackling (other than runs up middle). If runner gets near sidelines UConn guys just stop pursuing. It starts with no pass rush, the lineman look like they are guarding an area rather than rushing the passer, and give up on pass rush after few seconds as they know they can't get to QB and can't catch him if he starts to run.
Field is 53 1/3 yards wide, with the amount of time QB's have to pass there is no way a WR can't find a nice seam to pull up into against UConn's zone. There seems to be no recognition of the strengths of the other teams offensive schemes and how best to tweak UConn's defense to attack. There can be only so many bad passes, bad hikes, motion penalties, dropped balls, fumbles, holding penalties to stop an opponent.
Obi has zero ball skills. On one sequence of plays in the second half a long pass was completed in front of him and he didn't seem to react when the ball was in the air nor attempt to hit/dislodge/bat down the ball but just pulled the WR down as he was already falling; then few plays later Cin. ran a deep slant right in middle of field and a bad pass caused incompletion but Obi just stood there as the WR ran across in front of him.
Looks like the players know the schemes on defense don't work and are starting to get that WTF "body language" on defense.
My wife has been say'n it quacks, has feathers and a long beak so why don't you think its a duck - maybe she is right; the reason the team/schemes look so bad is because of the coaching. I've been fighting that conclusion, but not so much any more.
One last thing on defense, UConn always seems to be outnumbered at the point of attack. This is not only Navy and Army but against every team. Is it we are so afraid of the long pass we have too many back in coverage, read keys too slow, don't swarm to the ball, too wide deployment of players, drops to deep by LBs, CB's and S's, players are that slow? Are LB's that poor at tackling/coverage or are they asked to cover too much space and too fast/agile of WR's. Not just LSU and Michigan State type defenses look better than Uconn, just about every team looks better - meaning making offense earn each completion/yard and pay in bumps and bruises.
A QB that can pass will get 400 plus yards total offense against UConn, if he can run, only when they decide to shut down their offense will the offensive yards stop accumulating. Navy had 343 yds and shut down their offense 4th qtr, BYU 539, USF 461, Cin. 621.
It ain't workin'.

Exactly. Honestly, if UCF didn't shoot themselves in the foot, they would of been mentioned in the same breath of teams like Navy, BYU, USF, and Cinn. when talking about total yardage given up by us. UCF WR's were open almost all game, they were dropping 90% of the balls thrown their way, and there was some balls thrown over/under them. Somethings not right with this defense. Size and frame isn't going to cut it we need talent and Diaco I think is heading in the right direction their (EJ Levenberry).

Reaction Score
I don't know about you guys but I think Diaco's prediction of a national championship might not happen.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What worries me most is that Diaco's defensive philosophy has hurt us most against teams who line up in the spread and throw the ball downfield (Cincinnati and BYU). This is particularly problematic because I think we're all noticing that the trend in the AAC is for teams to develop exactly this type of offense (see Houston, SMU, Memphis, ECU). If we want to succeed in the American, we need to be able to be the one defense in the conference that is capable of slowing the roll of these types of offenses. If we can't learn to compete with teams who are used to scoring loads of points, then I'm not quite sure how we're going to win moving forward. I hope that we right the ship eventually, but our defense just looks way worse than a lot of folks anticipated.

Reaction Score
We would have done better blitzing 50% or more of the time.
I'm done with bend don't break for this team.

Take a few pi calls if necessary but stop giving 5-10 for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom