#6 Miss St trailing | The Boneyard

#6 Miss St trailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unbeaten (but unranked) Iowa St leads #6 Miss St 60-49 early in the 4th quarter

Cyclones are usually pretty tough at home.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I was was doubtful they should be that high. They might be Top 15 but #6 I'm not so sure. Only notable win so far is vs Texas and it might take Texas a few weeks to even get back to a winning record. Plus the way their season ended last year I just am a bit skeptical.

Reaction Score
Iowa St blows the lead, Miss St hits a 3 late to send it to OT.

Vivians been on the bench most of the 4th quarter (doghouse I think).

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Miss St, into OT, Schaefers daughter started the run with a 3.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Yep momentum to Miss St but a silly foul.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Where are you getting this game? Not here in NY. I am watching Arkansas and Texas Tech. As I've predicted in another post some young ladies are wearing short shorts. I'd notice many young ladies on many teams had begun tucking or rolling under their shorts and felt it was just a matter of time. One player is tucking even these short under making them shorter.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Directv 640

All kinds of shenanigans but looks like Miss St will hold on.

Oops maybe spoke too soon.

Reaction Score
Unbeaten (but unranked) Iowa St leads #6 Miss St 60-49 early in the 4th quarter

Cyclones are usually pretty tough at home.[/QUOTE
Do they still run the read and react Princeton style offense? Lots of movement and cuts. Tiresome to the defending team.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Not running much at this point, it is just desperation. And hail Marys

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was was doubtful they should be that high. They might be Top 15 but #6 I'm not so sure. Only notable win so far is vs Texas and it might take Texas a few weeks to even get back to a winning record. Plus the way their season ended last year I just am a bit skeptical.
Texas was not as bad as they looked against Uconn in 2015 nor was Miss State as bad as they looked in 2016 or Depaul as bad as they looked Tuesday. Games can get away from teams and the score can snowball - it hasn't happened to a Uconn team in quite a while (UNC a long time ago is the one I remember right now) but it can happen especially to teams that are young or are venturing into the elite ranks for the first time in a long time. I could actually see it happening to this Uconn team - not out of the realm of possibility as they are so young without the kind of veteran leadership they have had for so long.
I think Miss State is pretty good this year, but this is still uncharted territory where consistency is still hit or miss.

(ND on the first Gameday Live from Gampel was another one of those snowball games by the way.)

Reaction Score
Happens all too often. An unranked team plays well but then the players start thinking they might actually beat the ranked team. They forget to play each minute, they start clock-watching, then they panic as the lead dwindles. Then they lose.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gosh I wish I'd seen that game. Guess I have to just start touring the 600s on the weekends. A while back there was a site that listed all televised games. Is one still around anybody?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No. 6 Mississippi State rallies, tops Iowa State 85-81 in OT
Morgan William scored 24 points, Victoria Vivians had 16 and sixth-ranked Mississippi State overcame a 17-pointy deficit to beat Iowa State 85-81 in overtime Saturday. MSU remains one of 7 D-1 top 25 teams still unbeaten. MSU got lucky and dodged a bullet today. A #6 team almost got upset by an "un-ranked" team on the road. Like I've been saying.................crap happens. :eek:

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Happens all too often. An unranked team plays well but then the players start thinking they might actually beat the ranked team. They forget to play each minute, they start clock-watching, then they panic as the lead dwindles. Then they lose.
Or the coach starts coaching not to lose! Not always are the players the only ones to blame.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Texas was not as bad as they looked against Uconn in 2015 nor was Miss State as bad as they looked in 2016 or Depaul as bad as they looked Tuesday. Games can get away from teams and the score can snowball - it hasn't happened to a Uconn team in quite a while (UNC a long time ago is the one I remember right now) but it can happen especially to teams that are young or are venturing into the elite ranks for the first time in a long time. I could actually see it happening to this Uconn team - not out of the realm of possibility as they are so young without the kind of veteran leadership they have had for so long.
I think Miss State is pretty good this year, but this is still uncharted territory where consistency is still hit or miss.

(ND on the first Gameday Live from Gampel was another one of those snowball games by the way.)
Still doubtful in a #6 ranking. Based on their OOC schedule looks like they are already through the worst of it. They likely finish somewhere between 2nd and 4th in the SEC. I would need to see them vs someone other than Texas & SEC teams to really know if they are for real. We shall find out come tourney time. At this point they are still averaging over 20 fouls a game and I just can't understand that looking at who they have played.

Reaction Score
I was at the Iowa State Mississippi State game. Iowa State looked great in the first half. Played good defense and hit their open shots. Mississippi State did not seem as focused as one would expect from a number 6 ranked team. There were times when Victoria Vivians stood off to the side and waited for the ball. She was not as active as I thought she would be. Lucky for her that her teammates hustled. The second half was too much dribbling by Iowa State. They looked like they were in a keep away game with the ball. Never really got their game going again. Mississippi State pressed on inbound plays and seemed to rattle Iowa State in the second half. The bigs for Mississippi State Chinwe Okarie 6'5" and 6'7" Teaira McCowan were difficult for Iowa State to handle. Lots of fouls in the post. The hero for Mississippi State was junior Morgan Williams. She hit several clutch free throws in the overtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom