6 Losses, 12 points. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

6 Losses, 12 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not to beat a dead horse, but I was at the Houston game. That was not really a close game. It should never have been close, but the team overall had an off day. A better team wins that game no problem (just look at Houston's conference record going into that game). The score was only close because of Boatright who had had enough and took over the game in the waning minutes. If we had an extra two minutes, Boatright would have won that game for us though. I just looked at the play by play again (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/connecticut-huskies-houston-cougars-201502010254/) and in the last eight minutes it appears that Houston was playing Boatright.

If you have a chance to win the game on the last possession, it's a close game. I'm not sure what other conclusion you could come to.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
If you have a chance to win the game on the last possession, it's a close game. I'm not sure what other conclusion you could come to.

I see your point. Though in this case we were down 5 on our last possession, which was a 3-point shot made by Boatright with 0:00.4 on the clock.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Sad. For the kids. All that work and travel. Missed out of the tournament over 12 missed free throws.

Reaction Score
Sad. For the kids. All that work and travel. Missed out of the tournament over 12 missed free throws.
Pnow, that's too simple of an explanation. Both shots were very good looks and not lucky. We just couldn't win the battle as well as the game. Late shot loses happen.

The Arizona(?) missed shot in the Tourney a few years back was similar but had very opposite results. That miss (and other Tourney shots) count more than this year's 'makes'.

I just think this year's team was doomed, starting with the loss of so many key players and lack of efficient/effective replacements. That to me is the key why we may not be in the Tourney.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I think the point is for as bad as this team has looked at times (lack of consistency for a second and third scorer etc) they were 12 points away from having a decent year and being safely in the tournament. The season isn't over until they play a bad game at the XL Center which they haven't yet this season.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness not really, none of those teams are even lock tourney teams. Texas, Temple bubble at most

I think the point is for as bad as this team has looked at times (lack of consistency for a second and third scorer etc) they were 12 points away from having a decent year and being safely in the tournament. The season isn't over until they play a bad game at the XL Center which they haven't yet this season.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
In all seriousness not really, none of those teams are even lock tourney teams. Texas, Temple bubble at most
You really think if this team was 23-7 they wouldn't be safely in the tournament. I agree temple and texas aren't great but that would give them 5 more top 100 wins. They'd be in but they lost them all and they're not in, so one game at a time starting Thursday it is.

Reaction Score
6 of our 11 losses this year were the result of a combined 12 point deficit.

:eek:
In some ways this is true of everyone. Some teams win a lot of close games, some lose them, most split them.

Reaction Score
It is amazing to watch a thread about UConn losing close games degenerate into a thread about comparing Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown's basketball IQ to a guy who is blocked by 95% of the people on this board so quickly.
:D

Reaction Score
Teams with inexperience and lack of chemistry usually get a lot better with another year of growth. This is why I think we'll be really good next year even without Boat.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
In some ways this is true of everyone. Some teams win a lot of close games, some lose them, most split them.
If you lose as many close games as we did this year, it's hard not to conclude having either a little more experience, or another shooter, or a little better in game coaching... Dammit I said I wouldn't go into "woulda coulda shoulda" mode but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
Losing this many close games and not putting any of the onus on KO and the coaching staff is pretty ridiculous. That seems to be the consensus around here. For the life of me I can't understand why Purvis is taking this much heat- more of the blame for a deplorable season than a Coach who gets paid over 3 million a year. Ollie has had a very very bad year. That doesn't mean I don't think he is the man for the job and his job should in no way be in jeopardy. I really do like him, but bad year for coach KO, and this is year 3 stop making excuses and blaming the players (talent) he recruited.

Reaction Score
Losing this many close games and not putting any of the onus on KO and the coaching staff is pretty ridiculous. That seems to be the consensus around here. For the life of me I can't understand why Purvis is taking this much heat- more of the blame for a deplorable season than a Coach who gets paid over 3 million a year. Ollie has had a very very bad year. That doesn't mean I don't think he is the man for the job and his job should in no way be in jeopardy. I really do like him, but bad year for coach KO, and this is year 3 stop making excuses and blaming the players (talent) he recruited.

The moment you bring up his salary, you guaranty that many of us won't take the criticism seriously.

Edit -- no, I just read it again and I wouldn't have taken it seriously anyway. "this is year 3 stop making excuses ...." Yes, great point. Because it's not like he's accomplished anything within those three years. Sheesh.

Reaction Score
he coached a title team last year dummy

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The whole point of the 6 losses 12 point thing is that a lot of this is luck. We're a flawed team, but we're also really unlucky. People still point to the Yale and Texas endings with "Good teams make the defensive play" or something. True. But you can also give up an open look and the other team misses. That didn't happen.
We're a flawed and inconsistent team that could very easily be in the NCAA tournament with a few better bounces. It really is 2010 all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom