5 ints and 0 tds | The Boneyard

5 ints and 0 tds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
everyone here is a little bit out of wack with this. is it a bad ratio and a lot of int's? yes it is. but we are a throwing team now more than ever. whitmer is young as can be and the oline is the worst its been in years. by my thoughts, 3 of his ints were pure mistakes of youth, one of those was a once life time mistake. 2 were him forcing the ball downfield, both today trying to make up for our brutal oline and oc who fell asleep at the wheel with the game still in reach. i think he has a good mid ranage 5-15 yard ball, he feels the pocket alright and gets rid of the ball on dump offs well when pressure is there. he also rushes onmce or twice for + yards when needed. his deep ball is weak, a 2nd off season in burton will do that aspect wonders in the weight room. the future is bright with him. now delone and the oline is a different story.

the past 3 years we have had the first 2 games be a layup and a bcs team so its a fair comparison imho.

2012:
umass-whitmer 15/25, 219 yards, and 2 ints.
ncst-whitmer 15/27, 207 yards, and 3 int's.

2011:
fordham-jmac 8/12, 113 yards, o ints and o tds.
vandy- jmac 10/27, 99 yards, 3ints and 0tds.

2010:
michigan-frazer 18/37, 205 yards, 0 and 0.
tex south-frazer 6/9, 104 yards, 2tds o ints.

i'll take soph whitmer and what he develops into the next 3 years over the others. u?

Reaction Score
everyone here is a little bit out of wack with this. is it a bad ratio and a lot of int's? yes it is. but we are a throwing team now more than ever. whitmer is young as can be and the oline is the worst its been in years. by my thoughts, 3 of his ints were pure mistakes of youth, one of those was a once life time mistake. 2 were him forcing the ball downfield, both today trying to make up for our brutal oline and oc who fell asleep at the wheel with the game still in reach. i think he has a good mid ranage 5-15 yard ball, he feels the pocket alright and gets rid of the ball on dump offs well when pressure is there. he also rushes onmce or twice for + yards when needed. his deep ball is weak, a 2nd off season in burton will do that aspect wonders in the weight room. the future is bright with him. now delone and the oline is a different story.

the past 3 years we have had the first 2 games be a layup and a bcs team so its a fair comparison imho.

2012:

2011:

2010:

i'll take soph whitmer and what he develops into the next 3 years over the others. u?

Excellent post. Remember the Ohio game 3 years ago. Frazer went out of his way to try to lose that game. I'm still on the Whitmer bandwagon. He is part of the solution.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I think that I take a 2010 Frazer over a current Whitmer. But that's what it all comes down to, doesn't it? Experience. Whitmer is still young. Yes, he spent a year at Illinois, but he didn't see the field. Yes, he spent a year at Butler, but he didn't see a D-1 defense. It looks like he has the tools and the mechanics to be a pretty good one. I personally think he is going to be a really good one....with some experience.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Excellent post. Remember the Ohio game 3 years ago. Frazer went out of his way to try to lose that game. I'm still on the Whitmer bandwagon. He is part of the solution.

yup, agree. for more content on this convo.

2009:
ohio-frazer 11/24, 127 yards, 2 tds and 3ints.
unc- frazer 11/19, 94 yards, 0tds and 1 int.

that unc game feels a lot like today right?

2008:
hofstra-lorenzen 14/25, 184, 0tds and 3ints.
temple-lorenzen 10/22, 86 yards, otds and 1 int.

also i want to throw this into my op. in the umass game we went wc in the redzone which helped contribute to whitmer not getting a chance to throw a td. in todays game we all saw the ugly o overall. the todman big play was almost his first td throw...its not like there is a bubble over the endzone but yet there seems to be. i'm not worried about otds becuase of what the plays have consisted of so far. the ints are not good, but its a learning curve of extreme quantity we stacked up against him it seems(bad oline, no run push, no wc push or option 2....). one last thing, whitmer isn't taking sacks like jmac last year, hes getting rid of the ball or getting out of harms way. something to think about with his pocket pres...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

2012:

2011:

2010:

I didn't know I had a choice.

Reaction Score
Whitmer's the guy, we all know that, but he deserves all of the crap the fan base is giving him right now. He wants to be the qb of a div 1 school, then he has to do a better job period. In a few days the board will calm down and discuss the maryland game, until then...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
...but he deserves all of the crap the fan base is giving him right now...

Based on what, exactly? I'm not sure any kid deserves that. The coaches? Fine. They get paid six and seven figure salaries. The kids? Why again?

Reaction Score
Based on what, exactly? I'm not sure any kid deserves that. The coaches? Fine. They get paid six and seven figure salaries. The kids? Why again?

What exactly are we giving him? Some criticism? What he's a big boy, and not some little high school kid, like I said, we're are uconn fans, no one's going to lose sleep over upset fans on an internet board. He's getting ready for Maryland.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What exactly are we giving him? Some criticism? What he's a big boy, and not some little high school kid, like I said, we're are uconn fans, no one's going to lose sleep over upset fans on an internet board, please, spare me. He's getting ready for Maryland.

Spare you? Why? Don't you deserve everything that you get?? You're a big boy and not some little high school kid, right??? :cool:

Reaction Score
The offense is going to be fine new offensive line techniques were started in the spring. The players will get it and the passing chemistry will improve. We are very close !!!! You heard it here first

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Honestly today at 10-0 I would have taken my chances with him. I'm pretty sure I don't get a vote though.

really? whitmer was that bad 2day? we must have been watching different games, the kid may have throw some picks but he also moved the ball as much as he could in the short/mid game. did u like it when jmac came into the 4th quarter of the umass game and in the redzone at the first hint of a bit of pressure faded away off his back foot and threw up a rainbow in the right corner of the endzone that was almost picked? that shows all the improvement he made this off season. any other legit teams has a player who picks it. considering the mess at qb last year, for p to stick with whitmer must have told u something then.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
really? whitmer was that bad 2day? we must have been watching different games, the kid may have throw some picks but he also moved the ball as much as he could in the short/mid game. did u like it when jmac came into the 4th quarter of the umass game and in the redzone at the first hint of a bit of pressure faded away off his back foot and threw up a rainbow in the right corner of the endzone that was almost picked? that shows all the improvement he made this off season. any other legit teams has a player who picks it. considering the mess at qb last year, for p to stick with whitmer must have told u something then.

You act like throwing picks isn't a big deal. I have no beef with the kid and am not giving up on him in the least - but the book was he throws INTs - and he certainly does.

Reaction Score
If we had anything the resembles a running game, Whitmer would look a lot better because passing game would open up due to the running game. The fact we had no running game at all, NCST was playing passing all day for the most part.

We lost this game because our OL sucked. We better fix it soon or we need to replace our OC ASAP. His play calling is horrific. We need to find an OC who is offense version of Don Brown.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You act like throwing picks isn't a big deal. I have no beef with the kid and am not giving up on him in the least - but the book was he throws INTs - and he certainly does.

fair enough then. i'm not seeing the bad value in the pics. we should play jmac next week and forget trying to develope whitmer. casey will win the job next year then. what i'm saying is the 5-0 ratio right now is garbage. 1 was a real fluke thing that won't happen again. he had 1 or 2 td opps in the red zone taken away from him. we did the wc one time and then a rb fumble if i remember correctly. today when we had that big todman play it looked like if around the 15 he tried to put a cut on the guy chasing him down he might have gotten in for a td instead of knocked out(maybe im wrong on that). point is the 5-0 is really not a good reflection of whats going on. 2 of the ints were mis reads. hope he learns from them. 2 of them were focing the ball in the 2nd half when the oline and oc were back on campus already. i'm ok with the kid showing some balls and trying to make something out of . last year those are all 5 to 10 yard jmac sacks/fumbles/poor punt coverage stuff. those would then result in poor field position. our d this year is crazy good. but even they would give up more points if field position was different today.

Reaction Score
The biggest thing with whitmer is that he stares down receivers, NC state defenders were reading his eyes and that's why there were always two and three defenders at the football. We can blame the OC, play calling, wild cat but the bottom line is that Whitmer has to start reading defenses better, going through his progressions faster, not just focusing on his primary receiver. Most importantly, he needs to be more patient. He's still adjusting to the speed of the game. Its important to see how he plays against maryland. He must improve.

Reaction Score
He is young and we will have to be patient. But as of right now Whit has more official tackles (1) than TD passes.

Reaction Score
i didn't watch the 2nd half. did smith or philips get any balls thrown their way?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
fair enough then. i'm not seeing the bad value in the pics. we should play jmac next week and forget trying to develope whitmer. casey will win the job next year then. what i'm saying is the 5-0 ratio right now is garbage. 1 was a real fluke thing that won't happen again. he had 1 or 2 td opps in the red zone taken away from him. we did the wc one time and then a rb fumble if i remember correctly. today when we had that big todman play it looked like if around the 15 he tried to put a cut on the guy chasing him down he might have gotten in for a td instead of knocked out(maybe im wrong on that). point is the 5-0 is really not a good reflection of whats going on. 2 of the ints were mis reads. hope he learns from them. 2 of them were focing the ball in the 2nd half when the oline and oc were back on campus already. i'm ok with the kid showing some balls and trying to make something out of ****. last year those are all 5 to 10 yard jmac sacks/fumbles/poor punt coverage stuff. those would then result in poor field position. our d this year is crazy good. but even they would give up more points if field position was different today.

I'm not saying start JMac. When you have a winnable game and are throwing interceptions all over the field it's not unrealistic to say is there someone else who can play better today.

Whitmer has thrown terrible interceptions. I hope he learns from them too, but he didn't learn from JC and he didn't learn from UMass.

Reaction Score

Whitmer's played all of 2 games at the BCS level. There's a lot to like about his skill set - he's got a good arm and excellent pocket presence. Decision-making has been the issue. Some of the same throws that are mistakes at the BCS level were probably big completions for him last year. The key will be how quickly he can make the mental adjustment. And I absolutely think Mr. Whitmer has the upside to give him that chance.

Deleone on the other hand, has coached way too many games at the BCS level to excuse the performance today. Agree with WestCoastHusky that the playcalling was just a complete mess.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The picks are definitely a concern - hard for them not to be. A few of them were really, really poor decisions. (As opposed to just really poor.)

But the offensive line hasn't been good, the running attack scares no one and the offensive coordinator has a playbook thick enough to scare NASA...Whitmer has a lot on his plate.

I'd rather take my lumps with Whitmer and see what we have there. If history is a guide, we probably don't have the savior waiting on the bench anyway.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The picks are definitely a concern - hard for them not to be. A few of them were really, really poor decisions. (As opposed to just really poor.)

But the offensive line hasn't been good, the running attack scares no one and the offensive coordinator has a playbook thick enough to scare NASA...Whitmer has a lot on his plate.

I'd rather take my lumps with Whitmer and see what we have there. If history is a guide, we probably don't have the savior waiting on the bench anyway.

All true. It's a non conference game and a loss doesn't keep you from a good season. You have to balance winning the battle with fighting the war - my only point is that it's not crazy to wonder if someone else would play better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom