41 days later, and the second half of the NC game still gets me | Page 2 | The Boneyard

41 days later, and the second half of the NC game still gets me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yea, our girls probably just "wanted it more". ;)
And had more talent to GET IT DONE! This isn't to say that Notre Dame isn't very talented but I do believe we had the most talented team in women's basketball. Great job, ladies!

Reaction Score
They don't need to be. They just need to generate enough to keep defenses honest and keep them from packing in the paint. They can meet that standard easily if they perform like last year.

We agree that KML is an extraordinary marksman who isn't easily replaced. We are fortunate to have two superb perimeter shooters to take up some of that slack. FWIW, I think that the Huskies will score more of their points in the paint next year, not because of a lack of perimeter shooting but because Stewart, Tuck and Butler are going to be very difficult to contain in the paint. Add to that Jefferson's jaw dropping speed, and Nurse's mature all around game and we things are looking pretty good in Storrs....even though we're doomed.
I do have to say that I feel that we have an extraordinary marksman coming in next year and I'm inclined to think that with the other offensive options we have on this team already, she'll be able to produce very nicely in place of KML. Her shooting skill and her mobility along with the inside play of Stewie, Tuck and Butler and the aforementioned MoJeff will mean she'll have opportunities to show off those shooting skills. Her extraordinarily quick release, her height and length will also contribute to her getting numerous opportunities to get her shot off. We are going to be quite impressive next year offensively and when haven't we gotten it done on the defensive end. We did start this past year less than stellar replacing two starters but with the sting of the loss to Stanford, the team rededicated themselves to their defense and the rest is history!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I do have to say that I feel that we have an extraordinary marksman coming in next year and I'm inclined to think that with the other offensive options we have on this team already, she'll be able to produce very nicely in place of KML. Her shooting skill and her mobility along with the inside play of Stewie, Tuck and Butler and the aforementioned MoJeff will mean she'll have opportunities to show off those shooting skills. Her extraordinarily quick release, her height and length will also contribute to her getting numerous opportunities to get her shot off. We are going to be quite impressive next year offensively and when haven't we gotten it done on the defensive end. We did start this past year less than stellar replacing two starters but with the sting of the loss to Stanford, the team rededicated themselves to their defense and the rest is history!
Yep, duly noted that I didn't talk about any of the freshman. I don't want to count our chickens.... still KLS, in particular, is a unique talent. I'd be shocked if she didn't have a significant impact next year.

Reaction Score
Just as a side note, we always talk about "replacing" players who have graduated - great ones and great role players - but the reality is that no one comes in and is a replica of the kids who left. Just over the past few years, we had to replace Dolson and Hartley, and after an early season blip with Stanford, UCONN went out and ran the table. One thing that UCONN did NOT replace was the incredible post passing of Dolson and the absolute fierceness of Hartley (altho I think Jefferson pretty much took that on).

Next season we have to "replace" Kiah and KML. But there is no one with the guard skills, savvy, and 3 point shooting that KML had. And also no one with the defensive prowess Kiah had. So what we do, which is one of things that Geno does best IMHO, is morph a new team into a champion. Lose 2 players with unique skill sets, add in 4 new ones, and see the improvement of everyone else coming back. Was this seasons team better than last seasons? Probably not - because Dolson and Hartley brought so much to the table, some of which was not replaced, and in Geno's own words, he didn't "trust" this team till the 2nd half of the year.

Will next years team be better? Maybe - I think we add even more than we did last year, and with Morgan, Moriah and Breanna leading the team, the upper class leadership and chemistry should be sensational.
I think that you have to consider that Stef and Bria had four years to evolve into who they were as seniors and it's quite difficult to expect an incoming freshman to do the things that talented seniors did. In particular the word savvy that you used in regard to KML is so appropriate because she was not very well rounded as an incoming freshman but over time and with her determination and the great coaching she received, she learned how to maximize her skill set by learning to work through her weaknesses. She is not a very mobile person and quickness is far from her forte but with her intelligence she overcame being a terrible defensive liability by knowing where to be at every moment, how to fudge and accomplish what she needed to. She also worked her butt off to become a pretty accomplished rebounder and increased her tenacity on the court. Those are all things that I would think KLS will develop and the person she will evolve into is going to be simply fantastic. I think the player we'll be talking about four years from now will be every bit the player KML is now or maybe even more so. The only advantage KML might have over KLS is the wide body for rebounding purposes but KLS's quickness might compensate for even that aspect of her game. I am inclined to think that she'll be very productive offensively from the get go but will not get quite as much court time initially because of defensive issues but that should be short lived. The staff will instill defense into her and the other two freshman, as they have for every incoming freshman for ever! If she catches on right away, watch out. She may challenge Maya for the all time scoring title in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Yep, duly noted that I didn't talk about any of the freshman. I don't want to count our chickens.... still KLS, in particular, is a unique talent. I'd be shocked if she didn't have a significant impact next year.
I agree that we can't PRESUME anything but I would be shocked if these kids don't rival the class of three years ago with Breanna and Moriah and Morgan. Those three have proven themselves and it's up to these three to do the same but I think they can and I surely hope THEY WILL! Either way, isn't it great to be a Huskie fan????

Reaction Score

"Never underestimate the heart of a champion!"

Geno has been quoted as saying that "Tennessee has 8 national championships. They would have 12 if we had not beat them four times."

(Or words to that effect.)
I will agree that they would have had a chance to win 12 championships if not for UConn but if they weren't playing UConn in that championship game, whoever their opponent would have been, might have had a chance to beat them, as well. I think, though obviously Tennessee's chances would have been appreciably higher playing anyone other than Geno.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
KML had the heart of warrior... very confident in her game, its going to be interesting to see who can get past the wrath of Geno and who can not.

Reaction Score
Thanks, I was looking for this replay. KML is awesome...
Boy did that play piss off a lot of South Carolina fans. Reading cockytalk they practically had a stroke and claimed K elbowed Mitchell in the face, and that even the announcers made a comment about K getting away with a foul. Of course neither was true. All K did there was jerk her right foot back to get behind the arc. Mitchell basically fell or tripped over K's foot because she was guarding her so closely.

Reaction Score
The defensive pressure Moriah applied to Jewell was breathtaking, literally!
Based on that one-on-one matchup in that game and anticipating what kind of a senior season Moriah will have, could Jewell had been thinking she may only be the third pick in the WNBA draft if she stayed around for here senior year?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Boy did that play piss off a lot of South Carolina fans. Reading cockytalk they practically had a stroke and claimed K elbowed Mitchell in the face, and that even the announcers made a comment about K getting away with a foul. Of course neither was true. All K did there was jerk her right foot back to get behind the arc. Mitchell basically fell or tripped over K's foot because she was guarding her so closely.
The Shrug

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think she saw the motion and took a dive. KML's looked down at her for a split second and took the open jumper as if to say better not flop while guarding me.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Yup, Mitchell looks like she's pretty close to a reach-in foul there. KML just jab steps to create separation and Mitchell loses her balance. Good no call by the refs.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
My favorite moment of the entire season is when KML gave Tiffany Mitchell the shake off and they nailed the 3 as TM lay on the court. I could watch that play over and over again.

"GET OFF MY LAWN!!"

Reaction Score
My favorite moment of the entire season is when KML gave Tiffany Mitchell the shake off and they nailed the 3 as TM lay on the court. I could watch that play over and over again.

PAUL: that weren't no "shake off." She knocked the kid on her ass :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think that you have to consider that Stef and Bria had four years to evolve into who they were as seniors and it's quite difficult to expect an incoming freshman to do the things that talented seniors did. In particular the word savvy that you used in regard to KML is so appropriate because she was not very well rounded as an incoming freshman but over time and with her determination and the great coaching she received, she learned how to maximize her skill set by learning to work through her weaknesses. She is not a very mobile person and quickness is far from her forte but with her intelligence she overcame being a terrible defensive liability by knowing where to be at every moment, how to fudge and accomplish what she needed to. She also worked her butt off to become a pretty accomplished rebounder and increased her tenacity on the court. Those are all things that I would think KLS will develop and the person she will evolve into is going to be simply fantastic. I think the player we'll be talking about four years from now will be every bit the player KML is now or maybe even more so. The only advantage KML might have over KLS is the wide body for rebounding purposes but KLS's quickness might compensate for even that aspect of her game. I am inclined to think that she'll be very productive offensively from the get go but will not get quite as much court time initially because of defensive issues but that should be short lived. The staff will instill defense into her and the other two freshman, as they have for every incoming freshman for ever! If she catches on right away, watch out. She may challenge Maya for the all time scoring title in Storrs.

BUZZ: very strong post that is perceptive, analytical, and interesting. As another big fan of KML, I'll point out what few would as one modification:
gotta say that KMO was rather "well rounded" all four years. ;)

Reaction Score
BUZZ: I'll add that: yes, it is terrific to follow this team; and, you have a strong point the Samuelson could challenge for the scoring title, but I think there might be too much talent on the squad for that to happen, along with her injury prone history.

Reaction Score
One other thing: I continue to think that Collier might bring as much to the table ALL things considered as Samuelson.....?????

Reaction Score
Moriah and Kia had more open looks with Kaleena on the floor than they will this coming year. Katie Lou has the ability to hit threes at a high rate; however, let's not put the cart before the horse. This is not Natalie Butler having already played one year in college. As every college player says, the game is much faster, more physical, the players are bigger and the talent is much, much better.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One other thing: I continue to think that Collier might bring as much to the table ALL things considered as Samuelson.....?????
You know these posts are editable for a bit after posting. ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Moriah and Kia had more open looks with Kaleena on the floor than they will this coming year. Katie Lou has the ability to hit threes at a high rate; however, let's not put the cart before the horse. This is not Natalie Butler having already played one year in college. As every college player says, the game is much faster, more physical, the players are bigger and the talent is much, much better.
Indeed, it's impossible for a #1-ranked high school recruit to make an impact in her first year of college. Especially Maya Moore, Annie Strother, Nykesha Sales, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, and Breanna Stewart. None of them accomplished anything as frosh.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
South Carolina fans were clearly not paying close enought attention to the UCONN training program. That move was as a result of training with the United States Marines. Close quarters hand to hand combat, leverage, and balance all demonstrated at game time speed!

Reaction Score
Indeed, it's impossible for a #1-ranked high school recruit to make an impact in her first year of college. Especially Maya Moore, Annie Strother, Nykesha Sales, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, and Breanna Stewart. None of them accomplished anything as frosh.
And Diana Taurasi - she was a real bum as a freshman.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
And Diana Taurasi - she was a real bum as a freshman.

And Bria Hartley was a total dog. And Stef Dolson just took up space. And Lobo was "the worst post in America" as a freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom