3pt Variance at First Two Sites | The Boneyard

3pt Variance at First Two Sites

Reaction Score
UConn's two locations were two of the worst locations for 3s relative to expectations.

3pt Variance.jpeg

Reaction Score
Karaban in a podcast said the balls felt over inflated which lines up to a TikTok thing going around. Wonder if this was money related in any way. Alot on the games now, can easily see someone inflating the balls a little to decrease percentages. 10% is big.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I want to read this as bad news for Purdue going forward, which played in Indy and Detroit.

Reaction Score
Is this correlation or causation? UConn shot 3s horribly, which was a large part in causing those numbers. Did the venue cause UConn’s bad shooting, or did UConn’s bad shooting cause the venue to look bad through no fault of the venue? This doesn’t prove it up.

Reaction Score
Is this correlation or causation? UConn shot 3s horribly, which was a large part in causing those numbers. Did the venue cause UConn’s bad shooting, or did UConn’s bad shooting cause the venue to look bad through no fault of the venue? This doesn’t prove it up.
Despite how badly you want it to be false there is mounting evidence to support it at this point

Reaction Score
Inflategate was a thing in last year's tournament as well.

Reaction Score
Despite how badly you want it to be false there is mounting evidence to support it at this point

I don’t “want it to be false.” This just doesn’t prove anything. It’s more people looking for excuses for UConn’s bad shooting than anything else.

All teams go through short-term slumps, particularly away from home. Odds are they’ll hit a better percentage in Phoenix. And more likely than not it won’t have anything to do with air pressure or venue.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Um, can't someone request to check the balls before games? This is ridiculous.
I see Spencer and Castle test the ball before every tip off. If it was that off, I think they'd complain.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Karaban in a podcast said the balls felt over inflated which lines up to a TikTok thing going around. Wonder if this was money related in any way. Alot on the games now, can easily see someone inflating the balls a little to decrease percentages. 10% is big.
Let’s pray they’re overinflated vs Bama.

Reaction Score
Just re-watched the 1st half of the Stetson game and it certainly seems the ball is overinflated. Shots going very long (air balls and banks off the backboard) and shots that hit the rim bounced out with great force (bricks).

The broadcast team also discussed Hurley rotating in the tourney balls in practice three weeks before the tournament and he complained that the balls were overly sticky.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Guess this isn't an issue for the women... Clark draining tons from 28-30 ft out.

This is really first time watching her, but I wouldn't be against her in a 3pt shooting contest vs Cam. 9-18 so far and many in Karaban territory.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Same ball for both teams. If they can hit them, so can UConn, if it is the ball.
All they do is huck up threes.

Reaction Score
Um, can't someone request to check the balls before games? This is ridiculous.
well sure, but what if you're used to using balls that "feel right" versus being exact psi? Lot of different things could be going on. This is but one hypothetical

Reaction Score
Guess this isn't an issue for the women... Clark draining tons from 28-30 ft out.

Smaller women's ball + same-sized rim as the men...not apples to apples.

I mentioned in another thread that these balls are truly horrible. One of my rec leagues uses them, just had a game tonight and I was messing around with the ball in layup lines. You could take what feels like a normal dribble and let it go, it's going to reach shoulder or forehead height. If you put just a little oomph on it's going above the rim, as in an off-the-floor alley-oop. The physics of the ball are screwy. That doesn't even get into the feel of the ball, which is more rubbery than leathery, and slippery with a small bit of moisture.

I hope this is like the NBA years back when they scratched the new ball pretty quickly because it was universally hated.

That being said, I also mentioned that a lot of Newton and Karaban's misses are way off. Badly off target left or right, not just long. That's when you know you're really in a shooting funk. Many of our threes have had no chance of going in, it's not like they're rimming out.

Reaction Score
I don't know if the balls were overinflated or not, but this is lazy stats. Using the team average when we know each player that took each attempt and their average is dumb.

Reaction Score
I hope this is like the NBA years back when they scratched the new ball pretty quickly because it was universally hated.
you obviously don’t understand how the ncaa works….they were paid big money by the ball sponsors. They didn’t just switch balls to irritate 3 pt shooter

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Smaller women's ball + same-sized rim as the men...not apples to apples.

I mentioned in another thread that these balls are truly horrible. One of my rec leagues uses them, just had a game tonight and I was messing around with the ball in layup lines. You could take what feels like a normal dribble and let it go, it's going to reach shoulder or forehead height. If you put just a little oomph on it's going above the rim, as in an off-the-floor alley-oop. The physics of the ball are screwy. That doesn't even get into the feel of the ball, which is more rubbery than leathery, and slippery with a small bit of moisture.

That being said, I also mentioned that a lot of Newton and Karaban's misses are way off. Badly off target left or right, not just long. That's when you know you're really in a shooting funk. Many of our threes have had no chance of going in, it's not like they're rimming out.
At least the men’s court markings were right

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom