"35-40% chance KO is HC this season" | The Boneyard

"35-40% chance KO is HC this season"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The title of the thread is not accurate regarding Kevin Duffy's response to your question.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but "Head Coach" as in "permanent" or "temporary" until JC comes back from health issues???

Reaction Score
It's juvenile to attempt to manipulate the emotions of others by posting clearly, and intentionally, misleading thread titles.

Reaction Score
it was in response to his article, he refers to the game with MSU as KO's possible head coaching debut

Reaction Score
I have heard this as well from a high school coach who spent some time at Gampel this summer. The percentage I got from him was 60%. And no, it isn't just a machiavellian ploy by Calhoun to force Ollie to be named the head coach. Warde Manuel is deeply involved in any discussions that are taking place.

To put it another way, I don't believe that a retirement announcement by Calhoun this late in the game would come without the "consent" of the AD.

Reaction Score
The title seems accurate to me. Clearly, Duffy isn't talking about interim status until Calhoun heals. He's talking about Ollie becoming the HC at UConn.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of things that need to happen here even AFTER Calhoun decides to retire. They need to sign a contract, for one. This isn't going to be a simple thing. UConn fans should probably just wait and see. The whole composition of the coaching staff may even change.

Reaction Score
So there is somewhere between a 30 and 60% chance that UConn becomes another Providence. Great F*^%$g Great.

Reaction Score
The title seems accurate to me. Clearly, Duffy isn't talking about interim status until Calhoun heals. He's talking about Ollie becoming the HC at UConn.
The title is not accurate. It implies that Ollie will be head coach for the season. The OP asked Kevin Duffy if he thought Kevin Ollie would be the head coach for the season opener. Considering that Jim Calhoun is recovering from a broken pelvis, it is reasonable to think that Kevin Ollie will coach the team for that particular game.

I'd be willing to wager at 3:2 odds that Duffy thought the OP was referring to just the season opener and not the season as a whole.

Reaction Score
The title is not accurate. It implies that Ollie will be head coach for the season. The OP asked Kevin Duffy if he thought Kevin Ollie would be the head coach for the season opener. Considering that Jim Calhoun is recovering from a broken pelvis, it is reasonable to think that Kevin Ollie will coach the team for that particular game.

I'd be willing to wager at 3:2 odds that Duffy thought the OP was referring to just the season opener and not the season as a whole.

It will be a great day for Uconn that KO will be taking over from JC. It will be incredibly emotional to see JC step down--but on the other foot we will be just fine with a great new young coach like KO.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Agreed. Title is misleading.

Reaction Score
This is getting out of hand and somewhat disrespectful of THE Head Coach.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
What would Blaney be doing if Ollie's acting head coach in the Germany game or beyond?

Reaction Score

I disagree. I think it's clear given the prior quote that he's talking about the entire season. The word debut is used.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I think it's clear given the prior quote that he's talking about the entire season. The word debut is used.
That's an awfully big piece of speculation to drop in there like that. Maybe I don't really know what qualifies as news, but I would think that Kevin Ollie possibly being the new Head Coach of UConn men's basketball would be a bigger storyline than the first NCAA game in Europe, rather than an afterthought.

I don't think Duffy meant that Kevin Ollie will actually have the title of Head Coach. Rather, I think he meant to say Ollie will have head coaching duties for the first time.

Reaction Score
It will be a great day for Uconn that KO will be taking over from JC. It will be incredibly emotional to see JC step down--but on the other foot we will be just fine with a great new young coach like KO.

"Great" new young coach? He may be a very good recruiter, but he hasn't coached an actual game yet. Let's relax a bit before we label him "great".

Reaction Score
Whenever Calhoun does hang it up, this year, next year, or beyond, you can guarantee he's going to do it in September or October to hamstring the administration into taking KO. He's made a few too many references to Dean Smith -- who himself retired in October, forcing UNC to hire his long-time assistant -- for me to believe otherwise.

Make no mistake, even though Calhoun may not be on the sidelines, he's not going to give up the reins.

Reaction Score
Whenever Calhoun does hang it up, this year, next year, or beyond, you can guarantee he's going to do it in September or October to hamstring the administration into taking KO. He's made a few too many references to Dean Smith -- who himself retired in October, forcing UNC to hire his long-time assistant -- for me to believe otherwise.

Make no mistake, even though Calhoun may not be on the sidelines, he's not going to give up the reins.
And that worked out great for UNC, as did replacing him with a former Dean Smith player.........

Reaction Score
And that worked out great for UNC, as did replacing him with a former Dean Smith player.........

As it turns out, Guthridge led them to 2 Final Fours in his 3 years. But in general I agree with you and disagree with that way of doing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom