30 second shot clock | The Boneyard

30 second shot clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you think this will have a small, big or practically no impact next year?

What about for us?

Also what type of teams/players/coaches would be drastically affected and conversely which type of team/players would benefit?

My take is that good offensive rebounding (i.e. put backs) teams would benefit, since conceivably, more shots taken. Not sure if speedy teams would, unless its controlled and not reckless. I also think that guys like Adams and all freshman would be at an advantage because they are not adjusting like veterans as say Purvis and Gibbs.
Its good we don't have the 'ball-pounders' of old (e.g. Austrie, Bazz, etc.) so time for running good plays should not be a problem. I would think the good defensive teams could have a major impact in disrupting plays called and reducing quality possession time.

Lastly having Ollie and his 24 second experience should help a lot, probably allowing us to adapt with minimal effect.

I just wonder if 5 less seconds makes that big of a difference.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I just wonder if 5 less seconds makes that big of a difference.

According to me ex it makes a world of difference. Personally, I had no issues with putting up a shot in 30 seconds and then getting back on defense.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I don't see a whole lot of impact.

Its good we don't have the 'ball-pounders' of old (e.g. Austrie, Bazz, etc.)

Austrie? when was he ever the guy dibbling at the top of the key to use up time in the shot clock? Bazz wouldn't have had a bit of problem with it. That strategy with him was in part because we were such a horrible offensive rebounding team that year. Fewer shots meant fewer rebounds for us to miss (IE, fewer posessions for the bad guys). He would still have stalled on the perimeter until there were 6 or 7 seconds left in the clock, regardless of how long the clock was.

Clock awareness will be an issue at some point. Inbounding with a short clock, someone will screw up because he will think we have 10 left when we have 5, based on the time spent before the clock stopped. But it'll happen pretty much to every team a time or two and then will be forgotten.

With any luck, it will help us get back to the pace we played at when KO was playing here, rather than coaching here. When 15 seconds was a long possession!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
It would have been harmful for last year's team. Poor ball movement, poor outside shooting and only one player who can consistently create offense for himself as a recipe for failure with a shorter shot clock. For this year, it will be beneficial. We will have multiple players on the floor who are good passers, good shooters and often more than one on the floor who can create his own shot.

Reaction Score
We seem to have problems breaking down a zone. I think we'll see more zone because of the shortened clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom