3 Ways to pack the Rent | The Boneyard

3 Ways to pack the Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don't post much on the football board, I'm a Men's basketball junky first and foremost. But I've been a casual uconn football fan for a decade. I recognize, however, that given the current state of UConn Athletics in the AAC it is my responsibility to not only purchase season tickets this year for UConn football, but to put people in the seats in other ways as well. Here's what I'm planning on doing, please consider doing the same.

1. Pay it forward
    1. Use Facebook to find someone who has never been to a UConn football game before but is interested in going. Buy them two tickets. Host them at a tailgate, show them a good time. Ask them to do the same for two more newbies next year if they had a good time.
    2. Never eat a ticket
      1. Stuff happens and games have to be missed. But if this does happen, find someone who has never been to a game and give them those tickets. Make sure they have strong intentions of going.
  2. Free Beer
    1. Use facebook the Monday before a home game to offer to bring the beer, drive and pay for parking for any friends who decide to buy their own tickets that week. Get the fence sitters over the hump to come out to the game.
  3. Make 1 game an event
    1. Pick 1 game before the season starts and plan it big in earnest. Talk to everyone you know who might be interested. Organize the collection of funds and purchase a group block of tickets. Make the gathering a tradition. The bigger the better.
I realize that #3 for many of you diehards is a regular thing for every home game, but expanding the invitation out beyond your normal circle works as well. Interested to hear other ideas!

Reaction Score
Good Stuff.

If all current season ticket holders do some of this it could help bring some more people in.

Reaction Score
I don't post much on the football board, I'm a Men's basketball junky first and foremost. But I've been a casual uconn football fan for a decade. I recognize, however, that given the current state of UConn Athletics in the AAC it is my responsibility to not only purchase season tickets this year for UConn football, but to put people in the seats in other ways as well. Here's what I'm planning on doing, please consider doing the same.

1. [ ]Pay it forward

1. [ ]Use Facebook to find someone who has never been to a UConn football game before but is interested in going. Buy them two tickets. Host them at a tailgate, show them a good time. Ask them to do the same for two more newbies next year if they had a good time.
      [ ]Never eat a ticket

1. [ ]Stuff happens and games have to be missed. But if this does happen, find someone who has never been to a game and give them those tickets. Make sure they have strong intentions of going.
    [ ]Free Beer

1. [ ]Use facebook the Monday before a home game to offer to bring the beer, drive and pay for parking for any friends who decide to buy their own tickets that week. Get the fence sitters over the hump to come out to the game.
    [ ]Make 1 game an event

1. [ ]Pick 1 game before the season starts and plan it big in earnest. Talk to everyone you know who might be interested. Organize the collection of funds and purchase a group block of tickets. Make the gathering a tradition. The bigger the better.
I realize that #3 for many of you diehards is a regular thing for every home game, but expanding the invitation out beyond your normal circle works as well. Interested to hear other ideas!
Disagree with the free beer. Although I agree it is a dreamy idea. We have to support the rent. Yes we need to buy concessions so the place can make money or it will go to . So by all means drink till your mother in law looks good in the parking lot. Then maintain inside the rent by buying a few 9.00 beers and some food

Reaction Score
Win games. A lot of people simply pay attention to the national picture (Top 25). Win games. People will show.

Reaction Score
Disagree with the free beer. Although I agree it is a dreamy idea. We have to support the rent. Yes we need to buy concessions so the place can make money or it will go to . So by all means drink till your mother in law looks good in the parking lot. Then maintain inside the rent by buying a few 9.00 beers and some food

Send me a $100 up from Florida for every home game up here. I'll be happy to spend it on food and drinks while I'm inside the Rent.

Reaction Score
I think those are all great ideas OK4, and i think they would all work very well...but it is not the fans job to pack the event....that falls on the administration, and the football team/coaches.

The team on the field should be the draw. Win, and people will go. Play exciting football, and people will go. Be relevant in the CFB landscape, and people will go.

I love your ideas, but the fact is that the onus falls on UCONN to make the games so desirable that the fans are kicking themselves if they miss them. They have to do whatever they have to do to win. Other stuff is great (bouncy house for the kids, great concessions, music, contests, beer, etc...), but winning comes first...and we haven't yet done that enough to make the casual fan HAVE TO go.

Hopefully we do soon. I dont really see any reason why we cant.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I think those are all great ideas OK4, and i think they would all work very well...but it is not the fans job to pack the event....that falls on the administration, and the football team/coaches.

The team on the field should be the draw. Win, and people will go. Play exciting football, and people will go. Be relevant in the CFB landscape, and people will go.

I love your ideas, but the fact is that the onus falls on UCONN to make the games so desirable that the fans are kicking themselves if they miss them. They have to do whatever they have to do to win. Other stuff is great (bouncy house for the kids, great concessions, music, contests, beer, etc...), but winning comes first...and we haven't yet done that enough to make the casual fan HAVE TO go.

Hopefully we do soon. I dont really see any reason why we cant.

The way I see it, if we do our part, and the team does their part, then the first timers in the stands that day just got hooked. Let's meet the AD half way.

Reaction Score
The way I see it, if we do our part, and the team does their part, then the first timers in the stands that day just got hooked. Let's meet the AD half way.

This is exactly right. The only thing we can do as fans is try to get newbies to games and turn them into repeat customers. Worry about what we can control.

Reaction Score
Send me a $100 up from Florida for every home game up here. I'll be happy to spend it on food and drinks while I'm inside the Rent.
Sorry but im a republican. O hit up Obama for a handout

Reaction Score
Sorry but im a republican. O hit up Obama for a handout

Not the point. If you're going to tell people how to spend their money on 6 or 7 Saturdays in East Hartford, you should at least be in the stadium with the rest of us. I assume you bought season tickets and will be giving yours away to those in the state of CT?

Reaction Score
Not the point. If you're going to tell people how to spend their money on 6 or 7 Saturdays in East Hartford, you should at least be in the stadium with the rest of us. I assume you bought season tickets and will be giving yours away to those in the state of CT?
I don't think. U are getting my point either. But when I come up for the Maryland game I would be happy to buy you a 9.00 beer and listen to your theory of how the rent or any business is going to prosper if nobody spends money there.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Open a RV lot 24-48 hours before kickoff. Give the opportunity for fans to come in from longer distances (we can market in the tri-state area and all of New England) instead of trying to jam 40,000 into and around Silver Lane all at once.

Reaction Score
Open a RV lot 24-48 hours before kickoff. Give the opportunity for fans to come in from longer distances (we can market in the tri-state area and all of New England) instead of trying to jam 40,000 into and around Silver Lane all at once.
When I was at the University of Tennessee the commuter lot became a massive rv city on home game weekends. It was great fun and the students enjoyed roaming through on Friday night and partying with the "old folks". That should be an automatic.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
students will go to things on campus or close town. its the same everywhere. hartford is to far away. bad deisions overand over again...kids want to party wthout issues. taking a bus or driving does not fit that. end of story. the sooner all of u get it through your thick heads, the better.

bottom line is in order for kids to drink then watch conn sports it has to be in front of them just like every other school. on campus walking distance facilities and tvs in dorm rooms and apts fit that. 30 mintes to hartfrd does not. what u end up wih is kids going to games that ike sports enough whee the party/drinking is apart of there dy but not a end all. its a small %. to reach the mass amount it as to be in fro of them.

all thes kids are the fuure. what they remembr is uconnfootball being a half hour away andcoach p. sucks. so they dot care post grad. bottom ine.all u clownsdont gt it.

Reaction Score
students will go to things on campus or close town. its the same everywhere. hartford is to far away. bad deisions overand over again...kids want to party wthout issues. taking a bus or driving does not fit that. end of story. the sooner all of u get it through your thick heads, the better.

bottom line is in order for kids to drink then watch conn sports it has to be in front of them just like every other school. on campus walking distance facilities and tvs in dorm rooms and apts fit that. 30 mintes to hartfrd does not. what u end up wih is kids going to games that ike sports enough whee the party/drinking is apart of there dy but not a end all. its a small %. to reach the mass amount it as to be in fro of them.

all thes kids are the fuure. what they remembr is uconnfootball being a half hour away andcoach p. sucks. so they dot care post grad. bottom ine.all u clownsdont gt it.

We all get this. So go find the money. Or a time machine. Crying for an on campus stadium at this point is like complaining you aren't taller. Might be a valid complaint but it isn't changing.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I got 3 better.

Win.
Win.
Win.

I just liked Carl's post as I had planned on writing the same thing when I saw the thread title. It was the first time I'd seen the "unlike" option.

I may be going out on a limb here but this is the first time I can remember where Boneyard bit-ching has lead to actual change.

Call me crazy, but if we keep it up, maybe, just maybe, we'll find ourselves winning a BCS Bowl game in early 2014. Two days later, 80,000 UCONN fans will be in their seats 4 hours before new athletic director HFD introduces HC Les Miles as he enters our on-campus stadium. We'll all be there, basking in the fact that we were the original few who believed.

Players will seek us out to thank us for bringing 4 and 5 star recruits to "The Own" * by finally demanding that they be supplied with the best helmets and uniforms money can buy.

Tell me that wouldn't be a Cinderella ending to our first season in the SEC!

*I just realized that "The Rent" is the perfect name for a stadium we don't actually control.

Reaction Score

1. [ ]Pay it forward

1. [ ]Use Facebook to find someone who has never been to a UConn football game before but is interested in going. Buy them two tickets. Host them at a tailgate, show them a good time. Ask them to do the same for two more newbies next year if they had a good time.
      [ ]Never eat a ticket

1. [ ]Stuff happens and games have to be missed. But if this does happen, find someone who has never been to a game and give them those tickets. Make sure they have strong intentions of going.
    [ ]Free Beer

1. [ ]Use facebook the Monday before a home game to offer to bring the beer, drive and pay for parking for any friends who decide to buy their own tickets that week. Get the fence sitters over the hump to come out to the game.
    [ ]Make 1 game an event

1. [ ]Pick 1 game before the season starts and plan it big in earnest. Talk to everyone you know who might be interested. Organize the collection of funds and purchase a group block of tickets. Make the gathering a tradition. The bigger the better.

[ ] Emily Noonan: Skirts higher. Tops lower. Heels higher.

Reaction Score
take away the Stupid DJ and get rid of the annoying girl. Change up the music instead of playing welcome to the jungle every 3rd down.

The DJ adds pizzaz. And "annoying girl"??? Emily Noonan? PUHLEASE, she brings in people, not drives them away. AND, the reason they play Welcome to the Jungle on 3rd down is so that the dunderheads know when to stand. You change that up with a bunch of different songs and no one will be standing. Is that what you want?

Reaction Score

1. [ ]Pay it forward

[ ]Never eat a ticket

[ ]Free Beer

[ ]Make 1 game an event

[ ] a special room hosted by lovely young co-eds that features cigars and blowjobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom