3 ships - How should they be used? | The Boneyard

3 ships - How should they be used?

Reaction Score
So we added a dynamite recruiter in Coach Chill and we have a hungry KO so I think they will close strong like they did with Gibbs and Miller a few springs ago.

Interested to hear thoughts on some names and how you would allot them as a lot of outstanding players are in play, from the areas below
. ***Disclaimer: I watch every UConn game and most UCF games (local here) & no other games outside NCAAs so I don't know who is good/fits etc.) ***

But I love this time of year! This is the time of the year we get 'Meka, CV and many others and two years ago Miller and Gibbs.

Who is available in these groupings that we have a shot at?

1. JUCOS - The nation's #1 player is at a position of need (Juiston)
2. Grad Transfer - Lot of terrific ones and we've had success with them
3. Transfers that have to sit a year - Some very good ones here as well like Dickerson, Morrow & others
4. Reclassifiers - Kids like Eric Ayala
5. HS Seniors - Coaching carousel has opened up a lot from Indiana, Washington, Cal, NC State, et al
6. Foreign players - Like that Jay Ajayi guy from France or obviously any German would do!

1. Center - I think even on the Boneyard we could agree our biggest need would be a 5. I don't trust Cobb at all but am hopeful the staff found a gem. (We are overdue for a gem for sure) To me, Carlton comes from an amazing HS program and will likely be a good player but I would like to see us add a grad transfer like East Carolina did with Washington last year. What is out there as of yet? Any others likely to be opening up?

2. Wing Scorer - Like many of you, Vital is my favorite Husky but I think we need more here. I think we will play a ton of 3G lineups so this could be a combo guard or a 2/3 in a perfect world. What is out there? With Larrier coming back from a major injury this is a big area of need.

3. Big Transfer - If there is a kid that wants to come like Dickerson or the Nebraska kid I might take them and eat that ship so to speak for a year.

4. Another guard - If a tremendous one opens up like the kid from Washington - you take him. Jalen is probably only here one more year and I think Alterique can be an all-time Husky if he can stay healthy but that's a big if right now.

There might be a better way to allot them, interested in hearing players to start following the newscycle on (outside that Rice guy that two or three of you guys have that a mancrush on). The Diarra kid from Washington intrigues me, esp. the motor and character part, but not sure how he fits. I'm not sure the Diarra we have will ever be able to play, anyone know if he will be good to go and sort of out of the woods or is this a forever thing to worry about?

Regardless, I don't want to have 2-3 open spots and I'm sure KO has learned his lesson on that one. Should be an exciting time!

Reaction Score
Give me Juiston and I'll be happy. Any grad transfers beyond that will be icing on the cake. I don't know how I feel about the French kid just yet but I'd like to see us have open scholarships for 2018 guys like Shittu

Reaction Score
Find a way to use them and make certain we dont end up with short bench like last time. KO and Chill they should be as aggressive as hell and not be afraid to make some mistakes. Kids will transfer, some will go pro. This year has to be big for us. There is no tomorrow if this year doesnt come around.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Go to the farmlands of Germany, Ukraine, Croatia, or France and find me a 7'2" 250lb. big with hands of an angel, gazelle-like speed and agility, the hunger of a lion, and is as savage on the court as Chief is in the bedroom.

Reaction Score
I know we need bodies and should take players when we can get them. But I personally think it would be behoove of the staff to be conscious of trying to have at least some guaranteed open schollies for class of 2018, cannot assume jalen/TL going to leave. They should try to get 2 grad transfer instead of 3 sub 150 high school guys/take flyers on unknown JuCo guys with eligibility because I imagine with a full recruiting cycle Chilli can pull some studs and we do not want to jeopardize that.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Go to the farmlands of Germany, Ukraine, Croatia, or France and find me a 7'2" 250lb. big with hands of an angel, gazelle-like speed and agility, the hunger of a lion, and is as savage on the court as Chief is in the bedroom.

Colossus?!

Piotr_Saving_Sister.jpg

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
We need at least two more players because of the uncertainty of our injured guys being 100% Next year. Although they'll be able to play its probably uncertain if they'll play at 100% in regards to knee and shoulder injury (surgery) . It may take more time.

Reaction Score
Shakur juiston is my big want. He'd come in next yr, start, and play a huge role. And we'd have him past this yr.

Blake Harris would be a nice addition

And a grad transfer shooter, or big

Reaction Score
I think this is tricky. You don't want to burn scholarships on transfers and JUCOs. The reason being is, your giving them away to fill space, and they are gone quickly. yes, plenty of needs, but unless your getting a freshman that is a 4* or better, suck it up. Grad transfers is the way to go, they fill an immediate need, and the scholarships are open immediately the next year. They need big-time players, not roster fillers, if those fillers short-change you for the following year.

Reaction Score
I think this is tricky. You don't want to burn scholarships on transfers and JUCOs. The reason being is, your giving them away to fill space, and they are gone quickly. yes, plenty of needs, but unless your getting a freshman that is a 4* or better, suck it up. Grad transfers is the way to go, they fill an immediate need, and the scholarships are open immediately the next year. They need big-time players, not roster fillers, if those fillers short-change you for the following year.

Juiston would be an immediate impact player for us, so you take him if he wants to come. Dickerson is the only regular transfer I would take - would love a tough guy like him underneath. The Rice kid would be an excellent fit as a grad transfer and to your point, we wouldn't lose a 2018 scholarship.

Issue with this is we'd technically only have 1 scholly available to use in 2018, unless we had some early defections. But Dickerson would essentially be a 2018 recruit as well with 2 years of eligibility. I also like Blake Harris but not sure he is needed since we already have JA, Gilbert, CV, and MAL.

Reaction Score
I'd like to add Blake Harris and Justion. Although honestly, get the best talent and let everyone fight for minutes.

Reaction Score
1) Must be able to play next year
2) A big who can defend and rebound
3) A shooter

Reaction Score
We really just need a big who can give us minutes, set some screens, and grab boards. The scoring should be all set.Need our Landen Lucas.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
How 'bout this: on any players who can contribute to a hoop-smart, effective product on the floor and a cohesive, team-oriented group in the locker room.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
The #1, 2, 3 nationally ranked recruits. Ok, that's asking too much. I'll take three McDonald's All-Americans. Any three will do.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So is this an admission you've met Chief?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom