OT: - 3 best / worst takeaways from the Tokyo Olympics | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: 3 best / worst takeaways from the Tokyo Olympics

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm a certified Olympics junkie, and there were so many athlete highlights for me, but none were more thrilling than to see the US women finally get the elusive Olympic gold:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I agree with the other posters on the bad; coverage overall and too many "in your face" shots.

As much as I like a woman in a bikini, the women's beach volleyball players need to be allowed to wear shorts.
or have the men and women wear the same thing.

Reaction Score
I agree with the other posters on the bad; coverage overall and too many "in your face" shots.

As much as I like a woman in a bikini, the women's beach volleyball players need to be allowed to wear shorts.
Absolutely agree. Every time I watch that sport I wonder why bikinis? I’d certainly be more comfortable in shorts. Also, is the sport that popular? I seemed to see it broadcast more than any other competition.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Absolutely agree. Every time I watch that sport I wonder why bikinis? I’d certainly be more comfortable in shorts. Also, is the sport that popular? I seemed to see it broadcast more than any other competition.
I would guess, without checking, that it is indeed fairly popular, as it is relatable, relatively quick moving and historically a USA strong suit. Of course, the men I think just aged too much and on the women's side it was youth that failed, but had a decent run. The "A" Team of course was all that.

I don't personally love beach volleyball (its a sport at Arizona but I have no desire to attend). But even I was rooting for team USA.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Happy to hear other thoughts.
The 3 best takeaways were:
1) Japanese sushi bowl - after all they were the hosts and the food was fresh.
2) The Pan Asian poke bowls from Hawaii.
3) Surprisingly the Bavarian schnitzel

The 3 worst were:

1) The Italian pizza - really in Japan?
2) The Russian borst - why even try?
3) The British black pudding - many athletes got sick

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm a certified Olympics junkie, and there were so many athlete highlights for me, but none were more thrilling than to see the US women finally get the elusive Olympic gold:

Forgive my ignorance, what sport is this?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Forgive my ignorance, what sport is this?
Sorry, I think I must've intended to drop it in the volleyball-related OT thread.

The clip shows Haleigh Washington, one of the stars of the indoor volleyball team, displaying emotion over her recently earned gold medal.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Simple, popular because there were girls in bikini bottoms.

Reaction Score
The name Sabine Schut-Kery caught our attention because it is my wife's name. We watched the dressage once, then watched again and once more. We know very little about horses and less about dressage. The horse Sanceo was easily my favorite performer. Beautiful horse and great athlete. Sanceo's performance starts around 3:50

Reaction Score
The competitions were great and fruitful for many....but the absence of a cheering crowd and many hours of poorly programed TV and commentary were the down side. Head bang

Reaction Score
I love Rowdy Gaines on the swimming events. He knows everything about the sport, and he gets so excited!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One of my favorite takeaways was Athing Mu. She’s quite “a thing.” She won Gold in the 800 and ran the anchor in the 4 x 400 for Gold by a huge distance.

This weekend, the daughter of Sudanese immigrants set the American récord. She’s only 19 years old.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
There were so many that you never see except in the Olympics...
Loved:
3x3 women's basketball (how fabulous was that!),
Freestyle wrestling, men & women
Judo, Karate and Taekwondo
Handball
Equestrian events
Table tennis & Badminton
Whitewater events

(I admit; I'm a Olympic junkie.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online