3,808 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And these poos kids won't take a bus 25 minutes to XL with a water bottle full of Skyy. #sad
Need to upgrade the bus
blizzard_2.jpg

The stripper pole is a nice touch.

Reaction Score
@whaler11 is there anything you like about UConn other than the basketball team?

I've noticed you've liked every anti-student comment here.

You realize college sports are primarily for the students, right?

Not the entertainment for the citizens of greater Hartford.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
@whaler11 is there anything you like about UConn other than the basketball team?

The greatest strength UConn athletics used to have was the full support of the entire state.

I get that you don’t get that - because your overall premise that college sports exist for the students is 100% wrong. Turn on your TV - there isn’t a billion dollar industry because of students.

Don’t worry though - you’ll soon have the corpse of a program that you can lock up in Gampel that no non-students will want to be near.

You don’t want those rotten Hartford fans who have been attending for decades - you want kids who spend 4 years out of their whole lives in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
remember in I think it was the 06 season there was a blizzard and people donated their tickets to students if they couldn’t get there and there was like 8000 in Gampel for the fame? Yeah well do you remember losing!?
There was a snow game vs Seton Hall around that time too. I remember because I ended up sitting right behind their bench and got on Bobby Gonzalez about how Luis Flores wasn't walking through the door.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Here is a reason why I am tired of the Boneyard student arguments:

You are in Washington DC lecturing me about where the games are played.

I've spent ~4k attending football and basketball games this calendar year. I sat through 10 AAC tournament games in March.

I've been doing that since before the current students were born.

Every year I go to the games and guess who is there - the same people who are always there. We graduate thousands of kids every year but SPOILER ALERT: barely any stay in Connecticut and only a fraction of them keep going to games.

So yeah, I like posts that mock the constant whining of the students. You'd think the bus was to Shawshank and not a football or basketball game.

Reaction Score
Really? Maybe 75 years ago it was that way. Do you realize that without the support of those non-students there would be no program for the students to cheer for?
Do you realize that without the support of the students, there won't be many non-students to support the program for the students down the road? Most "non-student" fans of schools are alumni.

Reaction Score

I was a student not that long ago, graduated in 2005. Attendance wasn't perfect either. I just get tired of the "its so hard to make it" excuses though. It's not, at least you have uber and lyft now if the students really want to go. Or figure something else out. You can park for free if you are willing to walk 3 blocks and I can tell you where, we have been making the same excuses for at least 15 or 16 years at least. Its just getting worse and worse.

Reaction Score
Got out late so I was listening while Joe D toughed out the second half tonight. I parked in a Stop&Shop when we got to OT. Streaming it on espn now tho, so that still counts right..

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Really? Maybe 75 years ago it was that way. Do you realize that without the support of those non-students there would be no program for the students to cheer for?

lmao the students literally provide most of the money through exorbitant fees that keeps the program from going under

Reaction Score
lmao the students literally provide most of the money through exorbitant fees that keeps the program from going under

True. Would have been nice if ESPN threw us a bone and did us some favors so that wouldn't be the state we are in.

Reaction Score
True. Would have been nice if ESPN threw us a bone and did us some favors so that wouldn't be the state we are in.
Crystal clear Espn doesnt care if UConn succeeds or fails and feels no obligation to help the Flagship University to which its private company is based. We are their show pony, we need to have good attendance and watch all their uconn content just to stay relevant. CT politicians gravel at the toes of big business in this state with massive tax breaks. Beyond a "stern" letter requesting help from our Governer et al who know they have zero leverage.. theres nothing that can be done on this front.

The only remedy, winning.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I've spent ~4k attending football and basketball games this calendar year. I sat through 10 AAC tournament games in March.

Every year I go to the games and guess who is there - the same people who are always there. We graduate thousands of kids every year but SPOILER ALERT: barely any stay in Connecticut and only a fraction of them keep going to games.

So yeah, I like posts that mock the constant whining of the students. You'd think the bus was to Shawshank and not a football or basketball game.

You know Whaler's fired up when he replies to the same post twice, at length. "And Furthermore...."

Reaction Score
In the mid 90s, this facility was consistently packed. Was hard for any student to get tickets. Had to be in a lottery to get tickets. Obviously not the case anymore.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
For some reason that number reminds me of Mary from Total Recall.

(Please, no pictures)

Reaction Score
I remember the days you couldn't get tickets to see UCONN play Hartford due to "sold out" i have to wonder, will that day return?

Reaction Score
There's more than 3,800 students in Storrs.

Were you really at the game Auggy?

He was there and we all stared at his shaggy mug a good chunk of the night. It was actually the highlight of the game for me.

Reaction Score
Forget about students or season ticket holders... the fans, all fans are sending a message. A message that our AD will hear loud and clear. The fans will NOT support incompetence and will NOT invest in a program that is sinking. The posters on the Boneyard can complain all they want and the athletic department could care less, but now it’s hitting them in the pocket, something needs to be done. I want to see KO succeed, I wanted Diaco to succeed, but fans are not going to support this garbage product. An overtime victory over a 1-4 Ivy team is an embarrassment. We can celebrate it as a win, but we lost last night. It was a loss in the eyes of public perception, and right now the public doesn’t seem to think this team or coach or program is any good.

Also, top games at Gampel and XL would sell out, which means people wanting to see the team would need to buy tickets for secondary games like Columbia. Now hardly any games sell out, so why would the casual fan want to go see last nights game, when they can go see them play Nova?

Reaction Score

"Barely any stay in state"? Care to share your source?

You know what I see when I turn on the TV to watch college sports?

On campus stadiums, with full student sections ringing the court or from the 30 yard line to the end zone.

That is what people tune into see.

That is why it's a billion dollar business.

People do not tune into watch games in a half empty, quiet arena in Hartford.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Donors will never give up there seats.
Unrealistic old man: if only the donors would realize that the synergy of passionate student athletes and passionate student fans makes for an entertainment product that is great to attend, looks great on TV, and makes a great recruiting and media story.
Make UConn Men's Basketball Great Again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom