28 threes (14%)! | The Boneyard

28 threes (14%)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bigs shoot 12/19 from the field and it was our best offense. Purvis, Vital, and Vance shoot 3/26 from the perimeter.

Our team is not built for 3 pointers, but Purvis, Vance, and Vital for some reason think they are knock down 3 point shooters. They missed plenty of open looks too.

I get that Vance and vital are slow footed so it's hard for them to get by defenders and that purvis has a very hard time holding on to the ball and finishing when he drives, But that doesn't mean you should chuck 3 pointers all game to get "your points". PASS THE BALL to the guys WHO CAN PUT THE BALL THROUGH THE BASKET!!!

But hey at least @James must be happy (who is constantly calling for more 3s and thinks Ollie is out of his mind for wanting less 3s)... smh.

Reaction Score
Team and coach at least realize we shoot too many 3s but it seems the point is not getting across to the players. Hopefully KO follows up on his suggestion of putting in walk ons in order to get his point across. 28 threes is just ridiculous when they are shooting less than 15%. This coming a game after we had our best offensive production in which we shot only 9 threes!

Ollie: “We have to make sure we feed our big guys. Kentan (6-for-10 shooting) is playing wonderful and Amida is playing wonderful. Those guys go 8-for-12 and them are all the shots they are getting. We have to change that and that starts with me as a coach.”

Purvis: "Our bigs are playing really well. Steve, Kentan, and Juwan (Durham), we definitely have to do a better job. The guards, me mainly, CV and Vance, we’re not really hitting three’s right now, so we have to do something different.”

Ollie: “You see what we shot – we shot 4-for-28. … We have to follow the game plan. Look at the shots. Our bigs playing great. We have to get the ball down to the bigs and we can’t shoot 28 three’s. Our defense was good enough, everything else was good enough, but we can’t shoot 28 three’s. We don’t have the shooters, we don’t have the players to do that. We have to understand that and I have to get my point across. If I got to put in walk-ons, then I got to put in walk-ons, but we can’t do that.”

*Quotes are from Paxton's article from the other site.

Reaction Score
When the top guys you recruit aren't known as shooters, what do you expect? Relying on guys barely in or outside of top 100 ranking to be your outside threats doesn't get it done.

Reaction Score
Apparently the basketball team, like the gridiron Huskies, can't score from long either.

Reaction Score
When the top guys you recruit aren't known as shooters, what do you expect? Relying on guys barely in or outside of top 100 ranking to be your outside threats doesn't get it done.

We recruited shooters last year.

They didn't come.

In fact, one wonders if Vital would even be here if Myles Powell had committed.

Reaction Score
I have a question. When we play many teams there is always a guy who is not an elite athlete who can shoot the lights out, guys not top anything. Usually the game starts out by them hitting their first 3-4, we are pretty famous for allowing that. It's worth a scholarship on a player that can just come in and make shots even if he isn't an athlete isn't it? The UCONN women have the same 3 point line right? What gives?

Reaction Score
I have a question. When we play many teams there is always a guy who is not an elite athlete who can shoot the lights out, guys not top anything. Usually the game starts out by them hitting their first 3-4, we are pretty famous for allowing that. It's worth a scholarship on a player that can just come in and make shots even if he isn't an athlete isn't it? The UCONN women have the same 3 point line right? What gives?
Wasn't that supposed to be Vance Jackson?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Jackson is currently suffering from Ranger Rick syndrome. I'm also world class until I step in the tee box.

Reaction Score
Jackson is currently suffering from Ranger Rick syndrome. I'm also world class until I step in the tee box.

In a season full of disappointments Vance's shooting woes might be the most surprising. Everything I'd heard about the kid, and even the form I saw in his mixtapes, suggested that he'd at the very least be able to step in a knock down shots on a semi consistent basis, but it's been the complete opposite. His form is godawful and I swear I saw him shoot two free throws the other day where he wasn't even looking at the rim. I don't mean to rag on him, as he's only a freshman and has been thrust into way more minutes than he was prepared for, but when you're ranked where you are nationally mostly on the basis of one skill, it's surprising when that skill completely deserts you.

Reaction Score
both Rodney and Vance shoot better when open and with time. Neither player can quick shoot it under pressure it seems. Kemba could, b oat, bazz, i think Gilbert can.

Reaction Score
Vance can't shoot, where did that even come from?

The injuries show their effect when we're forced to play CV and VJ 50 minutes/game.

On Friday they played a combined 68 mins and scored 9 points. 2-15 total shooting.

Hopefully Diallo comes and we can get those 2 off the floor or worse case next year we will with MAL/AG/TL

I thought Jackson was a shooter with NBA range.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not many freshman come in and are knockdown shooters right away. I hope Vance keeps shooting, he's a shooter, and just needs to adjust to the college game.

Reaction Score
Knockdown? Who's asking for that, maybe at least shoot 30%, which would be awful anyway

Not many freshman come in and are knockdown shooters right away. I hope Vance keeps shooting, he's a shooter, and just needs to adjust to the college game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom