#23 UCLA upset by LMU | The Boneyard

#23 UCLA upset by LMU

Reaction Score
In WCBB unless a top 10 power house loses is it really considered a upset? Big picture all the other games are pretty irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Gabby Green is a Cal transfer who was ranked #12 by ESPN out of high school and even higher by some ranking services. Chelsey Gipson was ranked #53 in 2017 by ESPN. So LMU has some talent to work with. Still feels big considering I had trouble rememering just what LMU stands for— Loyola Marymount University if you are wondering.

Reaction Score
I'm not considering this an upset for a myriad of reasons:

1. No more Billings & Canada (identity of UCLA last 4 years)
2. No superstars after Billings & Canada on the roster
3. 1st game of the season
4. Fill in the blank with more reasons

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I believe the Velsaco sisters (Andee for sure) were highly ranked out of high school (like in the 90-100 range) as well and played at Mater Dei with KLS. So, yes, LMU isn't lacking in talent or experience.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm not considering this an upset for a myriad of reasons:

1. No more Billings & Canada (identity of UCLA last 4 years)
2. No superstars after Billings & Canada on the roster
3. 1st game of the season
4. Fill in the blank with more reasons
When an unranked team defeats a ranked team it is considered an upset per NCAA standards. However, I agree with you since UCLA is nowhere near as good as they have been in recent years. But then I suppose it depends on a person's definition of upset.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Gabby Green is a Cal transfer who was ranked #12 by ESPN out of high school and even higher by some ranking services. Chelsey Gipson was ranked #53 in 2017 by ESPN. So LMU has some talent to work with. Still feels big considering I had trouble rememering just what LMU stands for— Loyola Marymount University if you are wondering.

Here's a blast from the past photo. This was the 2013 U18 3x3 that won gold at Worlds in Jakarta, Indonesia. Green, Ogubowale, Turner, and Samuelson.

Thing I didn't remember - The team they beat to win the USA 3x3 championship was a Missouri group including Sophie Cunningham and...Napheesa Collier.

1541607833133.png

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's only 1 game, but this is a big hit for those that were thinking UCLA is going to be better than expected this year. They do still have some talent, but they are gonna miss Canada and Billings A LOT!

Reaction Score
Although UCLA got Charisma Osborne, their local access has dried up considerably because club coaches are wary of her abilities. Close has broadened the recruiting net to include Texas (also smart because there is a lot more talent there than California in recent years) but USC has suddenly become the LA school of choice with the very popular and respected Mark Trakh. We continually see UCLA on the "considering" list of many top players but the Elite Eight bump for the really elite players has not materialized for Close.

A lot of people, including myself, felt that if she was going to leave for another job like Virginia, last season was the one to do it. Go out on a high note and don't let people be too aware of your deficiencies. The next few seasons will tell whether or not Close is simply Kathy Olivier2.

Reaction Score
I thought USC looked pretty good in the win against Riverside 73-55.. Minyon Moore flirted with a triple double and they got some good play from Overbeck and others. Desiree Caldwell started and looked tentative but I'm glad Trakh is already trying to integrate her into his system. If USC passes UCLA this season, it will likely be for many more if recruiting and coaching means anything.

BTW, Chelsea Gipson's second choice was NMSU because they loved Trakh. Her original dream school was UCLA as was Amber Melgoza.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCLA never should've been ranked in the 1st place

OH and it was #23 in the *Coaches* poll, which is notoriously bad. AP had them #28, still too high, but at least not top 25.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Evidently, the 3 visits Coach Close made to watch UConn practice weren’t quite as beneficial as she had hoped. Didn’t someone on the BY just show a poll that listed Cori Close as one of the most overrated coaches in WBB along with Karen Aston & Joanne P McCauley?

Reaction Score

Green was #6 in VG Composite RanksTM :)

#5 ASGR
#9 PN
#5 BlueStar
#8 FullCourt
#12 Hoopgurlz

Reaction Score
Remember the PAC coaches poll the last two years had UCLA winning and they finished 4th and 3rdT. With the Canada/Billings class, UCLA finished 6th, 3rdT, 4th, 3rdT, and only appeared in the tournament final once in 2016, which they lost to OSU.

Reaction Score
Evidently, the 3 visits Coach Close made to watch UConn practice weren’t quite as beneficial as she had hoped.

Well Jamelle saw 1000+ UConn practices, so who knows that your point is.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well Jamelle saw 1000+ UConn practices, so who knows that your point is.
VG, you’ve got a bit of an edge today. You know what my point is. This kind of a loss leads one to be suspect of Cori Close’s coaching ability.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Those of us on the West Coast who follow Pac 12 basketball did not need that kind of loss to come to that conclusion.
What do you think the problem is. Is she and her staff not good at developing players?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just an FYI comment, Arizona plays Loyola Marymount (here) as their second game of the season. Yikes.

Reaction Score
Geez. Thank you! LMU? Does anyone think about those letters together, especially those of us on the right coast? Lower Michigan University? Lakes of Minnesota University? Lots of Meals University? Less Maddening University?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Evidently, the 3 visits Coach Close made to watch UConn practice weren’t quite as beneficial as she had hoped. Didn’t someone on the BY just show a poll that listed Cori Close as one of the most overrated coaches in WBB along with Karen Aston & Joanne P McCauley?

Its McCallie :mad:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I thought USC looked pretty good in the win against Riverside 73-55.. Minyon Moore flirted with a triple double and they got some good play from Overbeck and others. Desiree Caldwell started and looked tentative but I'm glad Trakh is already trying to integrate her into his system. If USC passes UCLA this season, it will likely be for many more if recruiting and coaching means anything.

BTW, Chelsea Gipson's second choice was NMSU because they loved Trakh. Her original dream school was UCLA as was Amber Melgoza.

I didnt see Mazyck listed in the box score.. is she hurt?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom