2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Jibsey, good advice but.......sports fans love to debate and argue, even amongst their own clan. I love all the give and take. Imagine if everyone were in a bar and drinking heavily. Then it could get ugly, but here, no blood no foul. It's like we are members of the Debate team from UMass, you know, the Mass Debaters.
The boneyard, full Mass debaters and master baiters.

Reaction Score
On a per minute basis and percentage basis Sanogo was way better come on don’t be obtuse. Sanogo was a clear future star from day 1, Michigan fans don’t even care that Reed is transferring. I’m not hating on the kid. I’m literally just looking at what he has done. He was on a bad team that was still worse with him on the floor. Hes a former top 40 kid so I get the draw from that standpoint, but he is not good right now. @auror’s first post shows that
First, visits are useful in determining whether or not the player will fit and whether the school is what the player's looking for. Neither you nor any of us know at what point decisions will be made and what those decisions will be.

That said, with the past two years' successes having been largely attributed to finding the right players with the right mindsets, you must believe DH is so pleased with himself he'll just mail it in for the three peat and take some guy who was highly rated two years ago based on that and nothing else.
:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If you recall we were focused on another big man at the time….Donovan Clingan
Plus, DH made it clear when he came here that he was going to focus, at least initially, on players from the Northeast and TR is from Missouri. I'd expect our recruiting may broaden more as we pile up championships................

Reaction Score
None of our transfer in players were told they would be starters. Thats why we are interested in a guy like Reed . Not guaranteed to be a starter at all
Tristen Newton was recruited to be a starter. Can Spencer was recruited to be a starter. Tyrese Martin was recruited to be a starter. RJ Cole was recruited to be a starter after his redshirt.

Reaction Score
Two years ago at the beginning of the season SJ and Karaban were neck and neck for who would start at the 4. SJ got hurt, Karaban took over and SJ never made it back into the rotation. This past year SJ played out of position, Hurley using him as a backup game-changing 5. Next year, SJ will need to showcase some 4 man skills, perimeter/midrange shooting/short drives in the lane, if he wants to get a look at the draft. I'm thinking it's Hurley's responsibility to try and put his players in a position to succeed within the framework of the team and winning games, and Samson will now be a senior. It's a long offseason for developing players; maybe with Singare picking up some minutes as a backup 5, SJ might see some time at the 4.
That’s not happening. UConn made the switch to playing a more offensively skilled 4 man & they aren’t going back. The double big line ups are a thing of the past, that’s how we ended up with first round exits. Johnson doesn’t possess any of the skills needed to be an efficient 4 man like Karaban & Stewart do. They can pass, cut well, put the ball on the floor, shoot, make quick decisions etc. that’s not Johnson’s game, that isn’t something you just magically develop in one summer. He’s a change of pace 5 man, with elite quickness & explosiveness for his position. The staff is recruiting a power 5 big man who started every game last year to be a starter here. Johnson can absolutely improve his game and increase his minutes from last year. But it won’t be with him playing at that spot.

Reaction Score
I just want to add that if you gave Clingan and Reed each 20 minutes and 10 FGA based on their career averages Clingan would give you 15.8 points and 7.3 rebounds and Reed will give you 13.2 points and 5.7 rebounds. Clingan had the benefit of playing in an elite offense while Reed played for a team that basically rolled the ball out there. Clingan has an obvious advantage on defense but I challenge posters who don’t want him to find a better big with 2+ years of eligibility.

Plus the staff clearly wants him. Always think discourse is good on the Boneyard but negative comments in a thread about our most likely portal commit is trash. Imagine if Hurley and co. Genuinely want this kid and he is turned off by posts on the boneyard and people on twitter who have watched maybe five minutes of this kids film? Bozos.

Reaction Score
That’s not happening. UConn made the switch to playing a more offensively skilled 4 man & they aren’t going back. The double big line ups are a thing of the past, that’s how we ended up with first round exits. Johnson doesn’t possess any of the skills needed to be an efficient 4 man like Karaban & Stewart do. They can pass, cut well, put the ball on the floor, shoot, make quick decisions etc. that’s not Johnson’s game, that isn’t something you just magically develop in one summer. He’s a change of pace 5 man, with elite quickness & explosiveness for his position. The staff is recruiting a power 5 big man who started every game last year to be a starter here. Johnson can absolutely improve his game and increase his minutes from last year. But it won’t be with him playing at that spot.
This is a good take, makes a lot of sense, and I can see it going this way. We'll have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
I just want to add that if you gave Clingan and Reed each 20 minutes and 10 FGA based on their career averages Clingan would give you 15.8 points and 7.3 rebounds and Reed will give you 13.2 points and 5.7 rebounds. Clingan had the benefit of playing in an elite offense while Reed played for a team that basically rolled the ball out there. Clingan has an obvious advantage on defense but I challenge posters who don’t want him to find a better big with 2+ years of eligibility.

Plus the staff clearly wants him. Always think discourse is good on the Boneyard but negative comments in a thread about our most likely portal commit is trash. Imagine if Hurley and co. Genuinely want this kid and he is turned off by posts on the boneyard and people on twitter who have watched maybe five minutes of this kids film? Bozos.
Clingan per 40 freshman season- 21.1 ppg 66% fg 17.1 rebounds

Clingan sophomore season- 23.1 ppg 64% fg 13.1 rebounds

Reed Jr. per 40 freshman season- 10.9 ppg 52% fg 12.4 rebounds

Reed Jr. sophomore season- 13.6 ppg 52% fg 10.8 rebounds

I want us to get Tarris Reed Jr. and I have full confidence the staff will make him better but Clingan is a whole different animal and one of our best players ever. We just have to have realistic expectations.

Reaction Score
Because of the results, one or shouldn't argue with the staffs interest in any transfer portal player. Even the near miss (Timberlake/Spencer). They get it right. Obviously they see something that will add to the greater good of the team. Sit back and just enjoy being a fan of the basketball capital of the U.S. if not the world.....This is a Great time to be a Uconn fan..!!!!!

Reaction Score
Because of the results, one or shouldn't argue with the staffs interest in any transfer portal player. Even the near miss (Timberlake/Spencer). They get it right. Obviously they see something that will add to the greater good of the team. Sit back and just enjoy being a fan of the basketball capital of the U.S. if not the world.....This is a Great time to be a Uconn fan.!!!!!

Reaction Score

I want us to get Tarris Reed Jr. and I have full confidence the staff will make him better but Clingan is a whole different animal and one of our best players ever. We just have to have realistic expectations.
Sure, which is my point. Clingan is obviously better and a generational big but Reed is perfectly fine. I just chose not to use their per 40 stats because Reed doesn’t have the usage Clingan had so I looked at points per FGA and rebounds per minute played instead to help account for that.

Reaction Score
People also need to consider that a "Sanogo-type" (undersized center with no NBA future) that goes into the transfer portal is going to the highest bidder - as he should. Make your money now.

Look at the current market. UConn is not going to be the highest bidder. A lot of desperate teams with money.

Reaction Score
Tristen Newton was recruited to be a starter. Can Spencer was recruited to be a starter. Tyrese Martin was recruited to be a starter. RJ Cole was recruited to be a starter after his redshirt.
Yeah hopefully they could earn a starter's position, but NONE of them we're told they were going to be starters. NONE of them were top transfers. Before we got Cam Spencer we were going after Timberlake and he for sure would not have beena a starter.

Reaction Score
Because of the results, one or shouldn't argue with the staffs interest in any transfer portal player. Even the near miss (Timberlake/Spencer). They get it right. Obviously they see something that will add to the greater good of the team. Sit back and just enjoy being a fan of the basketball capital of the U.S. if not the world.....This is a Great time to be a Uconn fan..!!!!!
People are just giving their opinions on the recruit. I’m good with whoever he gets at the 5 but tbh I thought we were gonna shoot higher. Happy to be wrong though.

Reaction Score
People are just giving their opinions on the recruit. I’m good with whoever he gets at the 5 but tbh I thought we were gonna shoot higher. Happy to be wrong though.

How do you know we haven’t? Even though we’re UConn, there are guys who for a variety of reasons may not want to come here. People pining for Cliff, he’s supposedly earmarked for St John’s. We’ve never been mentioned with Ballo. Who else are we not shooting “high enough” on?

Lastly, Hurley himself in the last week basically lambasted teams/fans who only focus on the stats when putting together a team. He talked about fit, culture, parents, etc. There’s so much more to this than just grabbing the biggest name or the dude with the gaudiest stats.

Reaction Score

Stats do shopw a difference but this isn't apples to apples....It's UConn to Michigan......I wish we were able to compare them from same school

Reaction Score

I hear what you're saying, but if a recruit is honestly worried about few comments on a msg board, how are they possibly going to survive a Hurley practice? I'm not looking to argue this, but based on how hard our guys work, and how few of them transfer out, I'm not concerned with their ability to handle some tough takes. These guys are self sorting for an actual gauntlet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom