2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
Donovan Clingan turning pro was not a surprise to us let alone the UConn staff. They have known they were bringing in a transfer center since Ngongba turned them down.

This is the guy they determined they want for their locker room and their system. They are coming off two national titles. We should very much want them to get their primary targets (even if Cam Spencer worked out better).

Reaction Score
I’ve been reading up on Reed and he sounds like a smart, coachable kid with involved parents. Not the entitled type. Started basketball later in life than most, and based on highlights I’ve watched, has a lot more to get out of his frame and athleticism with some better coaching and conditioning. If Hurley and his staff made this guy a top priority, count me in.

Reaction Score
I just think you're discounting what a lack of structure can do to a talented kids development. Nobody is saying he was great at Michigan, but there's no doubt there's raw talent to mold here, and he won't be asked to provide Sanogo or Clingan level impact from day 1. I wouldn't even be surprised if he comes off the bench to start.
This. Coaching is the difference between Jalen Adams and Tristen Newton

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you not understand statistics? Michigan, a bad team, was worse with Reed on the floor than they were with him off. There is your context. Edey scored 37, but UConn as a team did well with Clingan in the floor.

Let’s pick a random Big East center. Jalen Thomas from Butler. Do you consider him worthy of him starting for UConn? Because he was much better than Tarris Reed.

Im done derailing the thread and I apologize for doing so, but it is crazy that we can’t critique anyone without an army of people using zero statistical evidence to the contrary.
+/- is the worst statistic you can use for an individual player, especially in college with 1001 variables.

Reaction Score
On a per minute basis and percentage basis Sanogo was way better come on don’t be obtuse. Sanogo was a clear future star from day 1, Michigan fans don’t even care that Reed is transferring. I’m not hating on the kid. I’m literally just looking at what he has done. He was on a bad team that was still worse with him on the floor. Hes a former top 40 kid so I get the draw from that standpoint, but he is not good right now. @auror’s first post shows that
I love poster like you who are second guessing the best staff in the current college basketball era. You should be re adjusting your personal statistical models based on who this staff is targeting / recruiting. Just throw your own stuff out the window..

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I love poster like you who are second guessing the best staff in the current college basketball era. You should be re adjusting your personal statistical models based on who this staff is targeting / recruiting. Just throw your own stuff out the window..
There’s no point to a message board if every post is just “trust the staff.” You’re not here earnestly to read that over and over. It’s fun to have talks and arguments about this kinda thing, it’s okay to disagree or bring up perceived flaws in a recruits ability without saying the staff are morons.

Reaction Score
There’s no point to a message board if every post is just “trust the staff.” You’re not here earnestly to read that over and over. It’s fun to have talks and arguments about this kinda thing, it’s okay to disagree or bring up perceived flaws in a recruits ability without saying the staff are morons.
Yeah, I agree. No one is infallible including this staff. This staff has been incredible in talent evaluation and development. I don't think anyone thought that Joey C and Diarra (this year) would have been the impact players they became. No matter how great they are at it (talent eval), they were definitely wrong on Timberlake. Maybe he would've been better at UConn, but I don't think he would have been that much better. We really dodged the bullet on that one.

Reaction Score
You don't teach size and his kind of movement at that size. He would clog up the middle and can be a good center. What's not to like? Some of you are over thinking this.
Yeah, I don't think Reed is gonna be a bust. It looks like we have a lot of options at the 5 and UConn has prioritized Reed, so obviously they see something they can work with. Also, its a potential 2 year rental.

Reaction Score
Are we sure Johnson is coming back? Would Reed make more sense as a Johnson « replacement « ?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Filipowski Min 30.4, Reb. 8.3, FG% 50%, 3pt% 35%, Foul% 67%.
Reed Min 26.5, Reb 7.2, FG% 52%, 3pt% 33%, Foul % 59%.

Rebounding and shooting %'s are pretty similar and Filipowski had a much better supporting cast and coach. Reed listed 2 inches shorter and 15lbs heavier but both seem about same in agility/movement.

Can’t tell if you’re joking. First, I was talking about Samson. Second, Reed shot 33% because he made 1 out of 3 (Filipowski made 39 out of 112).

Reaction Score
You don't teach size and his kind of movement at that size. He would clog up the middle and can be a good center. What's not to like? Some of you are over thinking this.
Right? How spoiled are we? "We're not sure we want THAT 6' 10" 265 pound athlete. What other 6' 10" 265 superior athletes ya got?"

In Danny we trust.

Reaction Score

IMG_7487.jpeg

Reaction Score
So the last two years Danny and the staff hit grand slams in the portal. Why? They didn’t go for the most talent. Instead, they chose the best pieces for our system and culture. You can debate all you want. Fact is, at this point, questioning this staff is idiotic and a waste of time.

Reaction Score
the posts on here are getting worse by the minute. At least you are clear, that our first portal visit "is not good right now" and "Reed is an average big man". Wonder what our coaching staff sees??? lol. The inability of some posters to separate the talents and potential of a player from their prior stats on prior teams baffles me. At least you are all in on your lukewarm response to him. I, on the other hand, think he's a great fit because he is super talented and think you are wrong. We will see I guess
Absolutely !! Games over..go home

Reaction Score
The more likely answer is that Hurley was being deferential to the junior over a freshman by saying he was almost the starter
For this to be correct it would have been sophomore Johnson and freshman Karaban, but maybe?

Reaction Score
Here we are less than one week from cashing in number 6 and there’s are arguments on the Boneyard as to how we are going to fill in the pieces for #7? I guess it’s what we do.
Can we trust our coaching staff to make the right decisions about player’s capabilities, BBIQS, dedication and ability to work cohesively? I think we can.
Relax, chill back and watch the final round of the Masters.

Reaction Score
Because Alex Karaban was injured the majority of the preseason
You state your opinions like facts. You are well-informed but you come across like you are always right and that is not possible. If I remember right, and I could be wrong here, Johnson started an exhibition game or maybe an early season cupcake, then he injured his foot in practice and Karaban who had been injured earlier in the preseason took over the spot. Maybe he would have anyway who can say.

The only reason I referenced SJ in this thread was to advocate for him for next year because some on here thought he was being recruited over, or that if he gains 30 pounds he can compete for the starting center spot, neither of which I agree with.

I'm done feuding, back to Terris Reed, the big man center we need to play our game in the very physical BIG EAST. Staff knows what's up, that's why he's here already on an OV. Hoping for a commitment this weekend, Terris looks like the real deal.

Reaction Score
Jibsey, good advice but.......sports fans love to debate and argue, even amongst their own clan. I love all the give and take. Imagine if everyone were in a bar and drinking heavily. Then it could get ugly, but here, no blood no foul. It's like we are members of the Debate team from UMass, you know, the Mass Debaters.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Jibsey, good advice but.......sports fans love to debate and argue, even amongst their own clan. I love all the give and take. Imagine if everyone were in a bar and drinking heavily. Then it could get ugly, but here, no blood no foul. It's like we are members of the Debate team from UMass, you know, the Mass Debaters.
Except for the part about watching golf.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom