2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
OK, he will likely never be Sanogo but why would you ever say "freshman Sanogo would ruin this guy"? Freshman Sanogo averaged 7 & 5 and had 13 assists, 9 steals and 21 blocks on the season. Most people here were probably thinking Sanogo would never be "Sanogo."
On a per minute basis and percentage basis Sanogo was way better come on don’t be obtuse. Sanogo was a clear future star from day 1, Michigan fans don’t even care that Reed is transferring. I’m not hating on the kid. I’m literally just looking at what he has done. He was on a bad team that was still worse with him on the floor. Hes a former top 40 kid so I get the draw from that standpoint, but he is not good right now. @auror’s first post shows that

Reaction Score
Sanogo was a clear future star from day 1, Michigan fans don’t even care that Reed is transferring. I’m not hating on the kid. I’m literally just looking at what he has done. He was on a bad team that was still worse with him on the floor. Hes a former top 40 kid so I get the draw from that standpoint, but he is not good right now. @auror’s first post shows that
the posts on here are getting worse by the minute. At least you are clear, that our first portal visit "is not good right now" and "Reed is an average big man". Wonder what our coaching staff sees??? lol. The inability of some posters to separate the talents and potential of a player from their prior stats on prior teams baffles me. At least you are all in on your lukewarm response to him. I, on the other hand, think he's a great fit because he is super talented and think you are wrong. We will see I guess

Reaction Score
Samson did some really impressive things this tournament. Played to his strength but showed more on help D and more composure down low than he did for much of the year. This clip stuck out. Great block -> nearly full sprint -> catch, stop, pivot -> composed layup. If he can add these sorts of plays consistently to his game, he's going to command a lot of minutes.

if you look at this clip where Johnson scores he had all 5 defenders on him leaving all 4 other Uconn players wide open. They were lucky it wasn't a 50-0 run.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
On a per minute basis and percentage basis Sanogo was way better come on don’t be obtuse. Sanogo was a clear future star from day 1, Michigan fans don’t even care that Reed is transferring. I’m not hating on the kid. I’m literally just looking at what he has done. He was on a bad team that was still worse with him on the floor. Hes a former top 40 kid so I get the draw from that standpoint, but he is not good right now. @auror’s first post shows that

Wow, freshman Adama averaged 17/10 per 40 while Reed averaged 14/10 per 40 in more minutes and on a crappy team.That’s a weak defense of a dumb statement. Even if this is the best Reed can be — forgetting that he was playing in a dumpster fire last year — he wouldn’t get “ruined” by freshman Adama. It’s just silly. You’re conveniently forgetting how much Adama improved from year 1 to year 2.

Of course that’s all sort of irrelevant. You’re clearly bearish on him and the staff is clearly bullish so the safe and smart play would have simply been to say “I don’t see it personally but I’m gonna trust this staff.”

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
the posts on here are getting worse by the minute. At least you are clear, that our first portal visit "is not good right now" and "Reed is an average big man". Wonder what our coaching staff sees??? lol. The inability of some posters to separate the talents and potential of a player from their prior stats on prior teams baffles me. At least you are all in on your lukewarm response to him. I, on the other hand, think he's a great fit because he is super talented and think you are wrong. We will see I guess
It’s actually funny to me that I’m using numbers to back my opinion and you are using pure conjecture, and just assuming that you see something that nobody else does in him. Yeah, you’re a genius. If he ends up here I hope Hurley goes crazy with him and I won’t rule it out, but again I’ll just point to the fact that he hasn’t even proven he can help a bad team yet. I think we should be aiming higher, you I guess do not. Let’s just agree to disagree. I’m not going to fawn over every player that visits just because they visit.
Of course that’s all sort of irrelevant. You’re clearly bearish on him and the staff is clearly bullish so the safe and smart play would have simply to say “I don’t see it personally but I’m gonna trust this staff.”
I do trust the staff 100% but that doesn’t mean I need to move the goalposts here. He is so, so far worse than Sanogo was at the same age it’s actually insane that I even have to defend that. I guess I’m breaking the unspoken rule that we have to gas up everyone who ever visits

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It’s actually funny to me that I’m using numbers to back my opinion and you are using pure conjecture, and just assuming that you see something that nobody else does in him. Yeah, you’re a genius. If he ends up here I hope Hurley goes crazy with him and I won’t rule it out, but again I’ll just point to the fact that he hasn’t even proven he can help a bad team yet. I think we should be aiming higher, you I guess do not. Let’s just agree to disagree. I’m not going to fawn over every player that visits just because they visit.

I do trust the staff 100% but that doesn’t mean I need to move the goalposts here. He is so, so far worse than Sanogo was at the same age it’s actually insane that I even have to defend that. I guess I’m breaking the unspoken rule that we have to gas up everyone who ever visits

Did Clingan have a bad game because Edey scored 37?

Did we not have any stars because nobody scored 20 a game?

Is Castle a poor defender because he didn’t have a lot of steals?

Context matters.

Reaction Score
Just watched his scout on YT.

This guy is an active load. He gets a lot of offensive boards, blocks a ton of shots, scores over both shoulders and can play above the rim. Clearly the lack of an offense at Michigan limited spacing for him.

This guy looks the part. I can already see this guy being a defensive force and immediate impact.

Sign me up. Immediately.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand how some of you people just watched the most beautiful offense in the sport and say “yeah you know what would be better? Playing a career 11% 3 point shooter at the 4”
You know better?

Reaction Score
He is so, so far worse than Sanogo was at the same age it’s actually insane that I even have to defend that.
this is a video from his junior year in high school. When he was ranked above Clingan nationally. Look at his fluidity with the ball at just :25 seconds in. Now imagine that he is currently 6-10 265 with 74 inch wingspan AND that a coaching staff known for hard work and getting most of his players is going to get to develop these talents in a system made for an athletic big body. Raw talent-wise, he is not far behind Sanogo.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Did Clingan have a bad game because Edey scored 37?

Did we not have any stars because nobody scored 20 a game?

Is Castle a poor defender because he didn’t have a lot of steals?

Context matters.
Do you not understand statistics? Michigan, a bad team, was worse with Reed on the floor than they were with him off. There is your context. Edey scored 37, but UConn as a team did well with Clingan in the floor.

Let’s pick a random Big East center. Jalen Thomas from Butler. Do you consider him worthy of him starting for UConn? Because he was much better than Tarris Reed.

Im done derailing the thread and I apologize for doing so, but it is crazy that we can’t critique anyone without an army of people using zero statistical evidence to the contrary.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As some appear to be taking liberties on rating a kid that they know little about and others are showing receipts on prior commentary that people may now prefer to strike from the record I believe that a little more open minded thought on the kids our staff is pursuing and a bit of faith that the staff may actually know what they are doing is in order. Below is a copy of a post I made in the thread announcing Joey C's commitment (along with a link to the thread) when it appeared to me some were overreacting to giving a scholarship to someone who from what they read and/or saw, didn't belong on this level.

I'm sticking with "if our staff is interested in this kid, I believe he can help us".

Joey C Commitment thread
JC Commit.jpg

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Do you not understand statistics? Michigan, a bad team, was worse with Reed on the floor than they were with him off. There is your context. Edey scored 37, but UConn as a team did well with Clingan in the floor.

Let’s pick a random Big East center. Jalen Thomas from Butler. Do you consider him worthy of him starting for UConn? Because he was much better than Tarris Reed.

Im done derailing the thread and I apologize for doing so, but it is crazy that we can’t critique anyone without an army of people using zero statistical evidence to the contrary.

I have enough of an understanding to know that on-off stats need to be taken with an ocean of salt because they reflect the players he’s in with as much as they do him. You need a large sample size and you also need to consider all of the various combinations in order to come to helpful conclusions. You didn’t do that. You made your mind up based on a single meaningless stat.

You’re totally dismissing the fact that he played for Juwan Howard and was put in a position to fail. It’s weird and why you’re on an island.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand how some of you people just watched the most beautiful offense in the sport and say “yeah you know what would be better? Playing a career 11% 3 point shooter at the 4”
It was a beautiful offense this year, a joy to watch, and I do not think SJ at the 4 would have made it better. You misunderstood my post, and maybe some others did too. I was simply suggesting that next year, if SJ develops his game during this offseason and can earn time at the 4 it would help his draft status, if that is even a thing. I mentioned the fact that Hurley had him competing with Karaban last year at the 4. How he would have been used I don't know. Where you get the 11% career on 3's I don't know either; how many has he even shot in the last 3 years. Lastly, don't be ignorant and attack other people when maybe it is your comprehension which may be lacking.

Reaction Score
I’ll be the one to go out on limb. I think he’s very talented and was poorly coached. He’ll do big things here.

He’s got obvious touch, skill and physical gifts. Not much more you can ask for.

I've watched 4 Michigan games today (thanks strep throat) on double speed. FT shooting is a concern but everything else is what we want. He's not Donovan or Sanogo but he's a legit top-25 starting center with the right coaching.

Reaction Score
I think that’s basically what bendm was saying. If he gets stronger and stays on the floor, he’ll produce. But he’s not gonna remind anyone of Kyle Filipowski.
Filipowski Min 30.4, Reb. 8.3, FG% 50%, 3pt% 35%, Foul% 67%.
Reed Min 26.5, Reb 7.2, FG% 52%, 3pt% 33%, Foul % 59%.

Rebounding and shooting %'s are pretty similar and Filipowski had a much better supporting cast and coach. Reed listed 2 inches shorter and 15lbs heavier but both seem about same in agility/movement.

Reaction Score
Could be those are the same people who believed Coach Hurley when he said Samson had wall potential.

Obviously Clingan showed massive potential as Adama's backup. But there were plenty of doubters as to whether he could be as effective as a starter with twice the # of minutes. Do we really know whether Samson has peaked or if he has another level to reach and more skills to showcase given an increased role?
We don't know any of that, and everyone here has their opinions on whether it's possible. But what should be objectively clear is that success is coming at the 5 position and not the 4

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

I just think you're discounting what a lack of structure can do to a talented kids development. Nobody is saying he was great at Michigan, but there's no doubt there's raw talent to mold here, and he won't be asked to provide Sanogo or Clingan level impact from day 1. I wouldn't even be surprised if he comes off the bench to start.

Reaction Score
Well I guess that the mojo that the staff uses when they throw darts at the board to pick transfers is off. Maybe Danny wasn't wearing the proper lucky dartboard-throwing underwear. Too bad it didn't come up "Jalen Thomas."

Reaction Score
Yeah, so why was Samson nearly the starter over Karaban two years ago? I don't think we've really seen his whole game, Hurley keeps his players in their roles. Plus, there is the whole offseason here for SJ to work on his game. See what happens, I'm rooting for him.
Probably because Karaban was a freshman and Hurley has been pretty consistent in talking about how high he believes Samsons talent was (especially around that time). Has Karaban and Castle been the only two regular freshmen starters? I feel like if you’re going to start as a freshman for Hurley he wants you to show why he can’t justify putting you on the bench.

Reaction Score
Probably because Karaban was a freshman and Hurley has been pretty consistent in talking about how high he believes Samsons talent was (especially around that time). Has Karaban and Castle been the only two regular freshmen starters? I feel like if you’re going to start as a freshman for Hurley he wants you to show why he can’t justify putting you on the bench.
From what I’ve seen Johnson do this year I have to think he had a good portion of that game last year. Alex had one semester in the program. Given what we’ve seen from him, I’m sure they liked his game and had a plan to play both. But SJ got injured and by the time he was ready to play, the rotation had been set, and the team was being very successful. So he got sub rotation minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom