2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn’t they recruit over Samson? We’re trying to win games, not collect friendship bracelets. Samson will get an opportunity to win a starting job. That’s all he can ask for. If he thinks he automatically wins a starting job due to seniority, then I don’t know what team he’s been playing on.
Because if Samson feels like he's been recruited-over, then he'll leave, and we're stuck with Reed-Singare as our center combo- AKA back where we started. We need to manage a fine line between adding another center while not risking Samson leaving

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Because if Samson feels like he's been recruited-over, then he'll leave, and we're stuck with Reed-Singare as our center combo- AKA back where we started. We need to manage a fine line between adding another center while not risking Samson leaving

Just can’t believe people think we’re purposely going after backups rather than starters so we don’t hurt Samson’s feelings.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Unless you can manage to get a starting center and a backup center that both fit into the team of course.

Resources might be better spent getting a guy who won't force Samson out so you have more time/money to fill out other positions anyway. Plus there is some obvious future benefit to not recruiting over your own guy.

Just can’t believe people think we’re purposely going after backups rather than starters so we don’t hurt Samson’s feelings.
I doubt they'd do that obviously, but it wouldn't surprise me if they looked for someone who would simply do another 25/15 or 20/20 split with him.

Reaction Score
Unless you can manage to get a starting center and a backup center that both fit into the team of course.

Resources might be better spent getting a guy who won't force Samson out so you have more time/money to fill out other positions anyway. Plus there is some obvious future benefit to not recruiting over your own guy.
Also, getting two transfers at the same position in the same offseason seems super unlikely in today's NCAA. After all, these guys transferred because they want to play

Reaction Score
Free throws and 3 point shots are not at all the same. Even with that he’s hasn’t shown a 3 point shot at all

Good free throw rates tend to indicate potential for improvement from bad to mediocre three point shooters.

I don’t see how we could reasonably use SJ as a 3pt threat in any capacity.

Reaction Score
Wildly divergent opinions on Samson from good and bad posters alike. I think he makes a leap and is a monster next year. I do think the staff is intentionally avoiding recruiting over him. There is a difference between bringing a guy in to compete for big minutes and a guy like Dickinson who you would pencil in for 30 minutes a night. Clearly the staff wants to get a big body as a complementary player. I assume Samson puts on weight but that hasn’t always worked in the past. And I won’t be surprised if we get in the mix with Dixon, too.

Reaction Score
This is a Mokan kid and I talked with their director last week and he was very impressed with our staff. They have put in the work to get into Mokan and this would be a good first piece.

Reaction Score
Here is the thing about Samson. He is really good against finesse players/teams that play a little more up tempo. When we play against a physical big with a decent offensive package, he is in foul trouble before you get back from the bathroom. His rebounding also is subpar at times as well. We need a physical option to pair with him for the rigors of the Big East and certain matchups in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Wildly divergent opinions on Samson from good and bad posters alike. I think he makes a leap and is a monster next year. I do think the staff is intentionally avoiding recruiting over him. There is a difference between bringing a guy in to compete for big minutes and a guy like Dickinson who you would pencil in for 30 minutes a night. Clearly the staff wants to get a big body as a complementary player. I assume Samson puts on weight but that hasn’t always worked in the past. And I won’t be surprised if we get in the mix with Dixon, too.
You think their avoiding recruiting over him while they are actively hosting a guy on a visit who started every game in a P5 conference last year, as well as have had contact with Golden & the POY from the Mountain West conference? All of whom played big minutes last year?

Reaction Score
I think I know what they're saying but it's more about convincing the portal player he will get 20 minutes per game and have a chance to compete for the biggest prizes college basketball has to offer. If Samson was going to leave he would've left after last season, he knew then he had no chance of starting over Clingan and he knows now whoever is brought in won't be nearly as good as Clingan. He's already won back to back national championships here and he knows the two headed monster is the formula.

Reaction Score
You think their avoiding recruiting over him while they are actively hosting a guy on a visit who started every game in a P5 conference last year, as well as have had contact with Golden & the POY from the Mountain West conference? All of whom played big minutes last year?

Well actually I meant what I said. I think the staff is recruiting players with complementary skill sets to compete for big minutes with Samson and not a guy like Hunter Dickinson that you would pencil in for 30 minutes a night.

Reaction Score
Well actually I meant what I said. I think the staff is recruiting players with complementary skill sets to compete for big minutes with Samson and not a guy like Hunter Dickinson that you would pencil in for 30 minutes a night.
It seems apparent by their actions that they are in the portal looking for a starting big. They wouldn’t be having contact with players of that caliber otherwise.

Reaction Score
It seems apparent by their actions that they are in the portal looking for a starting big. They wouldn’t be having contact with players of that caliber otherwise.

I wrote out what I meant in the first post specifically to avoid a debate over semantics.

Reaction Score
Good free throw rates tend to indicate potential for improvement from bad to mediocre three point shooters.

I don’t see how we could reasonably use SJ as a 3pt threat in any capacity.
Clingan was by the numbers a bad free throw shooter.

He will be at the very least a mediocre 3 point shooter.

I’m not saying Samson will.

But judging a young bigs shooting potential by his free throw shooting is tricky

Most bigs struggle from the line early in their development

This rule applies more to guards imo

Reaction Score
Samson needs to live in the weight room the next 6 months.
No, he needs to develop his skills and get reps. His quickness with his size his best quality. He shouldnt be playing the 5.

Reaction Score
Two things :

1] It may be that the timing of Clingan's very immediate draft declaration is connected to Terris Reed's OV this weekend. I would think that the coaching staff plans most of this stuff.
2] I don't think Samson Johnson has a body type that will accept enough pounds or muscle that will ever turn him into a bruiser down low. Singare either for that matter. We need a starting center with strength and power that can control the post like Adama did, or Clingan.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Samson should gain another 15 pounds, he'll still be the most explosive athlete on the court, but he needs to handle physical bigs better.

And be an offensive threat

Reaction Score
Two things :

1] It may be that the timing of Clingan's very immediate draft declaration is connected to Terris Reed's OV this weekend
2] I don't think Samson Johnson has a body type that will accept enough pounds or muscle that will ever turn him into a bruiser down low. Singare either for that matter. We need a starting center with strength and power that can control the post like Adama did, or Clingan.

I am sure the staff knew DC was leaving and they have been interested in Reed well before DC announced. I had posted about our interest in Reed on March 26th. Thanks Trilly!

Reaction Score
And be an offensive threat

He is an incredibly valuable offensive threat. His play style and skill set are not as advertised but he is one of the best rim runners around. Extremely fast and explosive and the defense needs to be 100% aware of him at all times or they get dunked on. I would love for him to develop a consistent jump hook but we don’t need him emulating McHale or launching 3s.

Reaction Score
Clingan was by the numbers a bad free throw shooter.

He will be at the very least a mediocre 3 point shooter.

I’m not saying Samson will.

But judging a young bigs shooting potential by his free throw shooting is tricky

Most bigs struggle from the line early in their development

This rule applies more to guards imo

Clingan has a nice but inconsistent free throw technique. He can shoot flat which imo accounts for the majority of his misses. I think he will be a decent three point shooter for a guy his size/position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom